Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2013, 03:05 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
That's better!

lol. Seriously, though, we can't keep playing like this. And OU will be fine.
Oh sure, OU will be fine. We'll probably hang in there and compete for the Big XII Championship. However, that is not adequate for Sooner Fans.....just like it wouldn't be adequate for Bammer fans, Ohio State, and maybe a few others.

What many people fail to consider is that, while Stoops has won a truckload of games, he has not won a national championship with players that he recruited. (He won the 2000 national championship with John Blake's players.) He'll continue to win 10-11 games for the forseeable future 99% of the time. But he'll always have a slip-up game too. And the worst thing about the slip up-game is it's almost always an UGLY loss.....not a gritty grind out/worn out kind of loss, just plain bad. There's no excuse for that at OU, especially given the ridiculous salaries these jokers make to get highly recruited 20yr old kids to chase around an oblong piece of leather.

Without exception, throughout the past 14-15 years there has always been 1-2 losses where OU loses BAD. That's what drives us crazy as Sooner Fans. Getting embarrassed when your athletes are head-shoulders better than the other squad....the only game I would omit was the 55-19 thrashing at the hands of USC in 2005, as that team was probably the best all around team in the history of college football. USC would have given the D-Cowboys all they wanted that year. USC was clearly head-shoulders better than OU in every way. But USC was the exception not the rule.

And sometimes the other team is just going to have a better day and beat you in most phases of the game.....that happens. However, one thing that Stoops has shown time and time again in his blowout losses is a failure to make proper adjustments when necessary. Yesterday was a perfect example. Every other team that has beaten/made it tough on Tejas this year ran the QB with designed QB runs. OU has not one, but two incredibly gifted running QB's in Bell and Knight (4.4 speed!). Heupel blamed it on Bell and said that Blake had the option to run, but opted to hand it off or throw instead.

This is CRAZINESS! How is it that an OC gives full decisive power to his QB when the plays should have been designed QB runs without the option to checkout?! Heupel also admitted that Knight was never even considered to get into the game; a running QB which would have clearly made it difficult on Tejas' D. I fully expect Boykin to run all over Texas' D.....in fact, I'm counting on it to keep OU in the league title hunt. If Patterson and the TCU OC commits to running Boykin then TCU will have a good day offensively. Bank on it. Our own Sooner OC was too sharp to go with conventional wisdom and do what other teams (BYU! NM State, Ole Miss, Iowa State) have done to give Tejas' D fits. That's inexcusable and it falls not only on Heupel, but also Stoops, who, as THE head coach, should be able to step in in the middle of the game and say, "let's run Blake/Trevor....not opting out, just designed QB runs." OU, as poorly as our D played (stalled Texas at the end) may have not won the game, but it would have been much closer....say a field goal or one TD. That's a game you can walk away from and say, "man, they just out muscled us and outlasted us today." That's football. But blowout losses riddled with turnovers and, even worse, a poor gameplan/scheme which is so obviously poor (did Heupel not watch film of the other teams/QB's that ran all over Texas?!....it appears that way) will never be an acceptable standard at OU.

But, as I agreed with you earlier, OU will be fine. Just fine. Not elite like we're supposed to be and forecasted to be....just fine. "Let's go have another 11 win season Stoops. Thanks for the Big XII titles and no national championships with your own recruited players."

I realize this might sound like arrogance and unrealistic expectations.....but this is how Sooner Fans think. I'm an ol' Switzer holdover. Switzer rarely (I mean rarely) had a blowout loss.....I remember a few. A loss to Arkansas one time comes to mind. The next year OU came back and destroyed 'em if my memory serves me correctly.

OU can lose. But we should never lose big or get manhandled. That's just the standard here in Oklahoma.....but Stoops & Co. have done a decent job of lulling our fanbase to sleep. We think "man, we're doing pretty well winning 10-11 games every year while Texas is struggling/down. We're doing pretty good." It's a horrible approach and mindset, but I'm guessing it will stay this way for the forseeable future.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 10-13-2013 at 03:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 07:35 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,966,877 times
Awesome time in Dallas this weekend. The first RRS I've been to that we actually won. Tons of fried food and beer, cheap below face value tickets, and I'm the envy of all the fans that sold their tickets. Oh, and also had some great food at Sweet Georgia Brown.

Oh, btw, Mack still needs to go. But I'm gonna enjoy this one.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:11 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Case McCoy twice threw poor passes on wide open receivers for an additional 11 points (one easy TD, then had to settle for a field goal on the other).

The single solid win doesn't matter to me. Mack needs to go at the end of this season.
For your sake and thousands of other Texas fans - I agree. Mack cannot change enough to create long term championship caliber teams at Texas.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:14 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
I said earlier that OU's win over Notre Dame was not that special. Notre Dame is a very average team. OU does not have the team to hang with top 10 teams. Bell is awful, at least at this point in his career. It is a bit shocking that OU has so little talent at QB. OU is now ranked about where they should be.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I said earlier that OU's win over Notre Dame was not that special. Notre Dame is a very average team. OU does not have the team to hang with top 10 teams. Bell is awful, at least at this point in his career. It is a bit shocking that OU has so little talent at QB. OU is now ranked about where they should be.
Again, I never used the adjective "special" to describe OU's win over Notre Dame. It was a good win.

Overranked or not, the Tejas loss is just another inexcusable loss in a long line of losses for Stoops & Co. What makes it inexcusable is Heupel's scheme to not implement designed QB runs as the offensive gameplan (should have been the primary scheme, not the fallback, which it appears to be) = what the Horn defense has struggled with all year long.

On the offensive side of the ball for Texas, hats off. McCoy converted a ton of 3rd down throws and kept his offense moving. He also got lit up several times but stayed in the game. Tough kid. Not his brother, but he's got some grit and that's commendable, for sure.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:04 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Well Fisherman, the Sooners got manhandled by a subpar Mack Brown team Saturday, not to mention by a couple of his better ones too (2005 & 2008).

But he still is an inferior coach as we all know.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Well Fisherman, the Sooners got manhandled by a subpar Mack Brown team Saturday, not to mention by a couple of his better ones too (2005 & 2008).

But he still is an inferior coach as we all know.
Fair enough, but he was not the inferior coach on Saturday.

We'll see if he can keep the Horns rolling now. I think Texas loses at least two (probably the same for the Sooners too minus TCU) from Oklahoma State, TCU, Baylor, and Tech.

As usual, the northern teams are totally ineffective so no worries there.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:29 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
I dunno, the Horns just barely scraped by ISU.

Nobody's "safe".

Old 10-15-2013, 01:47 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,029,109 times
Quote:
I dunno, the Horns just barely scraped by ISU.

Nobody's "safe".
I agree ScoPro, Tech just barely beat ISU too. The games coming up in the rest of the Big 12 schedule are going to be interesting!

Old 10-15-2013, 02:20 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,603,960 times
This conference is a dumpster fire this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football