Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2014, 03:58 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,514,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
My Frogs had NO offense to speak of. Hopefully that was fixed during the offseason with the new O.C.

TCU can compete, but we're still missing just a couple things to really make us a top dog.
Well, Patterson better get together quick so as to justify TCU's addition to a much better league than from which it came.

A better TCU means a better Big XII. The Big XII has to make strides in this area in having great parity in the league from top to bottom as it probably will never be on par with the SEC in terms of having 2-3 elite teams.

Barry Trammel was saying on the radio yesterday that Bowlsby and the Big XII need to constantly seek out and try to make concessions for a LSU/Arkansas addition to the Big XII. Farfetched I know, but I think he's right. We need some big programs to make up for A&M and especially Nebraska. TCU/West Virginia is just not enough to validate the league in staying together over the long haul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 07:49 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,920,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Well, Patterson better get together quick so as to justify TCU's addition to a much better league than from which it came.

A better TCU means a better Big XII. The Big XII has to make strides in this area in having great parity in the league from top to bottom as it probably will never be on par with the SEC in terms of having 2-3 elite teams.

Barry Trammel was saying on the radio yesterday that Bowlsby and the Big XII need to constantly seek out and try to make concessions for a LSU/Arkansas addition to the Big XII. Farfetched I know, but I think he's right. We need some big programs to make up for A&M and especially Nebraska. TCU/West Virginia is just not enough to validate the league in staying together over the long haul.
Should have gone after more than just the Frogs and WVU.

UCF... BYU... Cincy?

Old 02-15-2014, 10:20 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,153,249 times
Quote:

I still say the big 12 had a legitimate chance at getting Florida St, and Clemson and blew it. I don't see this conference surviving long term.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:26 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,454,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I still say the big 12 had a legitimate chance at getting Florida St, and Clemson and blew it. I don't see this conference surviving long term.
They never had a shot for either school.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
I think that's probably true.

Most of the talk, especially from the FSU boosters, was a smokescreen and a way to leverage the football program into receiving more money as the Noles have a much higher value market-wise than the other ACC teams.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Now that the other four conferences have solidified, that's most likely true.

Something is going to have to give. Once the Big XII teams begin to get left out of the Playoff because of the conference not having a conference championship then the Big XII Brass will have some decisions to make.

Either go out and add some lesser programs (UCONN, Cincy, UCF, etc.) and create a situation where there are more mouths to feed (OU and especially Texas are not going to want to do this) or some of the programs will start looking elsewhere, such as the Sooners to the SEC West (and I think the SEC will concede and allow an Oklahoma/Oklahoma St. package to get OU.)

Old 02-17-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
By the way, NCOPUS, on behalf of college football fans everywhere, a big thank you to the Noles for ending the SEC's reign.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:09 AM

8,746 posts, read 9,037,787 times
Quote:
Now that the other four conferences have solidified, that's most likely true.

Something is going to have to give. Once the Big XII teams begin to get left out of the Playoff because of the conference not having a conference championship then the Big XII Brass will have some decisions to make.

Either go out and add some lesser programs (UCONN, Cincy, UCF, etc.) and create a situation where there are more mouths to feed (OU and especially Texas are not going to want to do this) or some of the programs will start looking elsewhere, such as the Sooners to the SEC West (and I think the SEC will concede and allow an Oklahoma/Oklahoma St. package to get OU.)
Yeah, it's a dilemma! I hope the Big 12 brass will figure out something to keep the conference alive. If nothing else, maybe they could just create a conference championship game. I know there's only ten teams and no east/west or north/south divisions but they could just simply take the top two teams in the conference (best conference records) and have those two teams play in a Big 12 championship game.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
Yeah, it's a dilemma! I hope the Big 12 brass will figure out something to keep the conference alive. If nothing else, maybe they could just create a conference championship game. I know there's only ten teams and no east/west or north/south divisions but they could just simply take the top two teams in the conference (best conference records) and have those two teams play in a Big 12 championship game.
A great suggestion but I believe that it has already been tried by Bowlsby.

Here's one of the articles I found: Big 12 in talks with NCAA about 12-team conference rule - CBSSports.com.

I'm quite sure that Bowlsby and the Big XII were denied by the NCAA. There is a rule that states you have to have at least 12 teams for a legitimate conference championship game.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:53 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,037,787 times
Quote:
A great suggestion but I believe that it has already been tried by Bowlsby.

Here's one of the articles I found: Big 12 in talks with NCAA about 12-team conference rule - CBSSports.com.

I'm quite sure that Bowlsby and the Big XII were denied by the NCAA. There is a rule that states you have to have at least 12 teams for a legitimate conference championship game.
Interesting link B&C! At least Bowlsby tried...lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football