Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2014, 07:58 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,154,114 times

Advertisements

At least we got seven teams into the NCAA tournament. Maybe we found our niche as a basketball conference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 11:38 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,514,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
At least we got seven teams into the NCAA tournament. Maybe we found our niche as a basketball conference.
*yawn*

We Okies don't feel that way. I didn't know the football-rich highschool/college/pro state of Tejas was willing to concede its stature as the CEO in the Football World.

The Big XII's flagship tradition-laden program did just beat Alabama in the Sugar Bowl, and quite convincingly at that. Once Texas starts pullin' its weight again the Big XII will still be one of the premier football conferences. The Sooners, the Horns, Oklahoma State, K-State, Tech, Baylor, and TCU (should be, if Patterson gets his kids working right) and West Virginia (should be too!) are not programs that can just be overlooked, by any one team or any conference.

Having 8 legit football schools out of a 10 team conference is nothing to minimize.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:42 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,154,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
*yawn*

We Okies don't feel that way. I didn't know the football-rich highschool/college/pro state of Tejas was willing to concede its stature as the CEO in the Football World.

The Big XII's flagship tradition-laden program did just beat Alabama in the Sugar Bowl, and quite convincingly at that. Once Texas starts pullin' its weight again the Big XII will still be one of the premier football conferences. The Sooners, the Horns, Oklahoma State, K-State, Tech, Baylor, and TCU (should be, if Patterson gets his kids working right) and West Virginia (should be too!) are not programs that can just be overlooked, by any one team or any conference.

Having 8 legit football schools out of a 10 team conference is nothing to minimize.
Lol, I was just joking. I agree if this conference has ANY chance of surviving, Texas and Oklahoma have to get back to their dominate ways and at least one other team being a consistent top 25 team.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:19 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,360,701 times
Too bad UT has become a volleyball school in a basketball conference.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Lol, I was just joking. I agree if this conference has ANY chance of surviving, Texas and Oklahoma have to get back to their dominate ways and at least one other team being a consistent top 25 team.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Too bad UT has become a volleyball school in a basketball conference.
Ye, of little faith!

Old 03-21-2014, 05:19 AM

Quote:
*yawn*

Having said that, I've made it clear time and time again that I am NOT happy with what the Big XII has turned into in terms of conference membership.

We took major hits and lost 4 (4!) state schools to conference realignment. That's virtually insurmountable in terms of putting the conference back on a "we're better than we once were" playing field. Ain't happening. No other conference came close to losing as much as the Big XII did, especially losing Nebraska and then Aggie U.

Because of the TV contracts and the Grant of Rights stipulations and the stigma of Texas being a rotten apple, I have no hope that the Big XII could lure other high quality state universities/programs (I'm looking at you Arkansas!....and yes, I know that the SEC has no GoR, but the TV contract will be enough) into the fold. Not having a conference championship will eventually bite the Big XII in the tail. Dan Beebe's leadership, or lack thereof, left the Big XII in easily the worst spot and scenario possible.

Dan Bowlseby really can't do that much now, no matter how good and how respected he may be among his peers. The dust has settled and there are really no worthy teams available for addition. There's lots of middle of the road programs, but not any major state universities (I know the Fighting Baptist U. is a private institution) to which the Big XII has prided itself.

Unless Oklahoma and Texas just find a way to be present in the Playoff each year, then there will undoubtedly be more attrition to come.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:10 PM

20,518 posts, read 33,572,975 times
Quote:
*yawn*

With all due respect, if OU and Texas wins, the conference is fine. If one of OU or Texas falls off, the Big 12 will be seen as mediocre no matter how great the other teams you listed are. If both OU and Texas suck, the Big 12 sucks. That will be the perception and once you add the fact that the television market in general is small, people will look at that conference liked they look at the Big 8. The Big 8 had power programs at the time. OU was down but still a blueblood. Nebraska was great. They had the bones to survive. But not the eyes. OU and Texas will have to be at the top of their game more times than not.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
*yawn*

With all due respect, if OU and Texas wins, the conference is fine. If one of OU or Texas falls off, the Big 12 will be seen as mediocre no matter how great the other teams you listed are. If both OU and Texas suck, the Big 12 sucks. That will be the perception and once you add the fact that the television market in general is small, people will look at that conference liked they look at the Big 8. The Big 8 had power programs at the time. OU was down but still a blueblood. Nebraska was great. They had the bones to survive. But not the eyes. OU and Texas will have to be at the top of their game more times than not.

I don't like the conference. I wish Texas and OU went to the Pac 12.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
The Pac-12 will not accept a religious school, period- liberal Christianity (if there is such a thing), Evangelical, Methodist(funny that SC was affiliated a million years ago), Lutheran, Pentecostal, Speak in Tongues and get Bitten by Snakes, whatever. It hasn't happened and will not happen. The Pac-12 will take UT and Tech in the state of Texas- that is it. UT runs the show in Texas and they are the prize. The Pac-12 does not need a school from Waco or Fort Worth to gain any market share. If the Pac-12 ever gets UT, that is the market in Texas.

Not trying to get into a religious school vs. really not religious school, even though Christian is a part of the school name and requires kids to take a religion class argument. I'd take TCU or Baylor. Shoot, both are pretty good schools, good sports nowadays, and would be traveling partners. However, the school presidents were not for expansion in the first place and it took a colossal effort by Larry Scott to get them to agree on CU and Utah. OU and OSU were ultimately denied because many of the presidents had serious reservations about their academics (stupid imo)- Stanford, Cal, UCLA, USC, Washington. To a some degree, they were not AAU schools- something only Oregon State, ASU, and maybe Wazzu (and now Utah) are not.

Bass- you bring up a good question- who would the Pac-12 go after? I don't know. I think if they can only get UT and Tech (no Okie schools)- they hold. If for some reason they need to go after two more (say OSU and OU goes SEC), I could see these candidates:

Big 12: KU and KSU- brings in two rivals/traveling partners- plus KU is great in bball and adds some familiar Big 12 foes for the TX schools.

California: San Diego State, Fresno State

Other: Colorado State (for CU), Utah State (for the Utes), Hawaii (a major money loss for schools)/Nevada/UNLV

I think the Pac would go back to tradition and bring in natural rival pairs- KU/KSU, CU/CSU, USU/UU

Is the Big 12 still in doubt? I haven't heard much.
Yep. Which is why the Pac didn't even think about BYU? Correct if I'm wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football