Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2014, 12:49 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,036,173 times

Advertisements

^^^ I agree with the grades B&C. Tech definitely deserves an F for last week's game. If Tech manages to pull off an upset against WVU tomorrow I'll be very surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 01:52 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,916,422 times
Revenge game against Baylor tomorrow.

Go FROGS!

Old 10-11-2014, 07:37 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,825,685 times
Someone restart my heart! I can't take much more of this. What a come back Bears!

Old 10-11-2014, 07:50 PM

264 posts, read 625,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Someone restart my heart! I can't take much more of this. What a come back Bears!
SIC 'EM BEARS!!!!!

What a game.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:29 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
That was a heck of a shootout. First time I have seen Baylor play but Petty looks like a heck of good pro quarterback prospect. Not a RGII college type but much better fit with heck of arm; accurate ;pocket passer with good in pocket movement. Kept his head and lead Baylor to a come back.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:26 PM

Incredible come back by the Bears...wow! I thought TCU was going to win that game for sure. Baylor certainly continues to be impressive. I like TCU but I usually root for the Bears when they're not playing Tech.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:58 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,545,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
That was a heck of a shootout. First time I have seen Baylor play but Petty looks like a heck of good pro quarterback prospect. Not a RGII college type but much better fit with heck of arm; accurate ;pocket passer with good in pocket movement. Kept his head and lead Baylor to a come back.
That was a Texas shootout! It reminded me of a senior bowl or something.

I think Sanchez is my favorite OU player. And Perine (sp?) is my fave on offense. I can't believe I am getting behind OU! But they are fun to watch.

Coach Bill Snyder is still my all-time favorite coach. I saw Lockett's Dad play at K-State and I remember telling my friends, "He's going to the NFL."

I dread the trip to OU this week. Coach Stoops having two off weeks in a row is not a good sign. I think OU whooped us last year. (K-State).

Now I think it is 3 or 4 way tie for first. Last week I thought it was a 3 or 4 way tie for second! Which means OU is carrying a heavy target on their backs.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:00 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,916,422 times
Well... at least the Cowboys won.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:02 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,511,946 times
[quote=Bass&Catfish2008;36818067][quote=Bass&Catfish2008;36726282][quote=Bass&Catfish2008;36611992][quote=Bass&Catfish2008;36554457]

2014 Big XII Grades

I've been pretty wordy.....I'm gonna abbreviate my comments from here on out as much as possible.

Week#7
Baylor (B+) (Incredible come from behind win. I think that it's safe to say that the Baylor receivers are the fastest and shiftiest tandem of receivers I've ever seen (and OU's had some good groups). It's sad that KD Cannon went to Baylor, I think it's pretty safe to say he would have been playing immediately at OU too (his reason for signing with Baylor and not the Sooners was that he feared being down on the depth chart for a year or two). Petty really impressed me by keeping his head and not giving up. I think he, along with Mariota is the best passing QB in college football. 21 points in less than ten minutes is not easy, especially on a fast/headsy TCU defense. The offense was simply amazing. Special teams was supbar with allowing the TCU kickoff return, and the defense was pretty abysmal allowing an over 50 spot from the Horny Toads. Granted TCU has a very good offense and I'm totally sold on Boykin now, but Baylor was supposed to have a much better D this year along with that video game offense. From now on I refuse to give any team an A if they allow more than "half a hundred." Still, great win. Thrilling for Baylor and its fanbase.)
West Virginia (B) (Solid win away from home. Tech is not the easiest place to get a win. West Virginia's offense is a legit threat. Trickett is the Big XII's second best passer behind Petty and just in front of Boykin and Waters from K-State. Their defense leaves a lot to be desired, but they are a lot more physical than the first couple of year in the Big XII. Gritty team that did what it had to do to rally from a couple TD's down to get back in the game and to pull out the win. That kicker has quite the leg. He hit a super-long one against OU too. I'm guessing he'll have the pro scouts all over him before long.)
Iowa State (B-) (Iowa St. you should have crushed Toledo. These are the games you have to show why you're in the the Big XII, one of the Power 5 Conferences. Richardson pulled out the win again, and Iowa St. has two really gifted receivers, but there's gotta be a better effort on defense. Iowa St. is very fortunate to have Mark Mangino.)
Texas Christian (B-) (To say this was a heartbreaking loss for TCU is probably the understatement of college football this year. TCU came out swinging with a fast paced offense and some big plays on special teams. Suprisingly, TCU pulled away from Baylor at the end of the third quarter. The win was a foregone conclusion and it looked like the Horny Toads were right on the cusp of being in the driver seat for the Big XII title, and a spot in the Playoff. However, even more surprising, was watching TCU's D give up 21 points in ten minutes. This should never happen, especially with the personnel and capable coaching staff that TCU has. Patterson is known for his toughness and his defensive mindset. He wilted when it mattered most, down the stretch. I place the loss on him. It appeared Texas Christian remained in man coverage on the boundary and Petty is just too accurate and the Baylor receivers just too fast to continue to do this. Credit Baylor for not losing its mettle, but TCU, with its penchant for stout D, should not have give up as much as it did. Couple of final thoughts: I understand why Patterson went for it on 4th down, but his play call to throw the fade was very poor. Patterson, your best player is Boykin and all you have to do is get four yards....let him create his crease and get the first down with his feet. I could see how TCU wanted interference called. Could have gone either way; you're probably not going to get it away from home that late in the game. Good no call. Heart breaking loss for TCU.)
Oklahoma (B-) (The offense was abysmal but some credit has to be given to Shorthorn U.---they played with a lot of aggression and speed on D. The best stat on offense was that Trevor Knight didn't turn the ball over (lost him the game at TCU)....there were several drops, but with the exception of one throw into triple coverage?!, he played smart and kept Tejas from making big plays on D. The OU D was so, so. Sanchez's INT was huge and THE difference in the game. Striker and Co. got to Swoopes a few times and made him rush throws. The first half the D-Line was pushed around by Tejas' must less-experienced O-Line. The third down defense was quite poor as Swoopes threw over the middle most of the game to get 7-10 yard pickups for a first down. Oklahoma's special teams was excellent for the most part. Barnett gave OU excellent field position all day and made the Horn work the full length of the field. Ross' kickoff return for a TD was huge too. Without the Sanchez INT and the Ross return for a TD OU doesn't win this game. This game always comes down to big plays and which team makes the fewest mistakes. OU did both and it was just enough to win the illustrious Red River Shootout.)
Texas Tech (C) (Great game. Led most of the game and played its heart out in front of a home crowd. Webb has a great arm and is a gamer. Lauderdale looks like a great player. Very fast and finds open spots on the field with his routes. Tech's D gets a bit of credit too for holding WV (especially in the first half) to a low point total. Still the penalties are killers, a couple of which allowed WV to tie the game up at the end of the game. I'm guessing this is pretty crushing for Tech fans.....to not only lose on a kick, but to lose on one that is such a low percentage kick.)
Oklahoma St. (C-) (Should have destroyed the worst team in the Big XII. Defense was so so, but the offense was horrible. Some credit goes to the KU D. They played the run very well and kept Garman for making easy throws most of the game. Thank goodness for OSU's sake they have the fastest guy in college football running kicks back for them. He is electric. I can't for the life of me figure out why Kansas would kick to him or let the ball get remotely close to him. Speed truly kills. Kansas paid the price with yet another loss.)
Texas (C-) (I thought about giving Tejas a C or C+ for fighting hard but I just couldn't justify it because of all the penalties they committed. This is a huge problem and Strong better get it fixed. The Shorthorns definitely win the game if they wouldn't have hurt themselves so much by committing senseless penalties. On the positive side, this Horn defense is the real deal. They are fast, aggressive, and attack (and attack some more). The Horn D tackles are a couple of guys that will play on Sundays. So the D is trending upward for sure and that will keep you in a lot of ball games. Along with the penalties, the difference in this game was the big plays Tejas gave up. Falling down on kickoff coverage (#26, the same guy that gave Sterling Shepherd the cheap hit on the punt return) is unacceptable. Then Swoopes, one of the only bad decisions he made all game, was a doozy. He should have never forced that ball and Sanchez stepped in front for the easy INT. I think Swoopes is a serviceable QB, I was impressed that he kept his head even when OU sacked him a few times. He was accurate for the most part, but not accurate enough to win the game and put the team on his back. Credit the Horns for fighting hard in their biggest game of the season against their hated arch rival, but the mental mistakes lost 'em the game. I was re-watching the Red River Shootout Preview on Fox Sports Southwest and they had Mack Brown quoted saying "The team that plays the hardest the longest and makes the fewest mistakes is the team that is going to win this game." Texas didn't get that done and lost the game.)
Kansas (C-) (This is a token "average" grade for Kansas. It's probably the last time it gets anything above a D on the grading scale. Question from all College Football Fans Everywhere: Why kick off to the fastest guy in college football, certainly the Big XII? Hard fought game and the run D for Kansas definitely deserves some credit. Overall a good game, but kicking the ball to Tyreke Hill is a head scratcher.)

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 10-17-2014 at 11:13 AM..

Old 10-17-2014, 11:32 AM

^^^Looks like pretty good grades overall B&C.

As far as Tech goes, yes, it was extremely frustrating to lose that game at the very end like that. I knew that WVU field goal kicker was good but I didn't think he could kick a 55 yarder! He's certainly one of the best kickers I've seen in a long time. I don't know if you saw any of that game but the announcers mentioned that since that guy's been on a streak of long field goals Dana Holgorsen doesn't even talk to him and he doesn't let anybody on the staff "coach" him....haha! Holgorsen doesn't want anybody to mess up what's going on, they just leave him alone and let him do his thing...lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football