Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2019, 05:26 AM

7,594 posts, read 6,084,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLfan1977 View Post
I’m embarrassed by my Michigan State Spartans. They barely beat Maryland to reach 6 wins. Past time for Dantonio to go/retire/whatever.
I am embarrassed and disappointed about my MEAN GREEN's entire season. 4-8 and lost several games they should have won because someone forgot that there is more to football than havinga solid passing game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2019, 06:17 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caj727 View Post
I did indeed forget to mention Georgia- I think because its less of an argument with them. Pretty much its hit/miss. Beat LSU, they're in. Lose, and they are out. Not a chance though with Wisconsin. If Georgia loses, Utah I think is the 4th team if they beat Oregon. If Utah also loses, it'll be the Oklahoma/Baylor winner next week. I can buy a team losing two games and making the playoff some day. But its not going to happen for the first time this year when one of the losses each are to Illinois and South Carolina.
the committee has never cared about 1 bad loss unless they were blowouts.

the com appears to put a lot of value in UGA's wins over ND, Auburn and Florida, who all won big on Saturday.

Wisconsin would have the better wins argument over Utah or Oklahoma/Baylor.

Utah not playing a P5 college or ND OOC could hurt them.

Old 12-01-2019, 06:27 AM

16,277 posts, read 10,408,335 times
Quote:
I don't like Alabama or Saban, but yeah they've got a legitimate gripe. Ridiculous to allow Auburn a play at the end of the half- it also relates to what I've said for years- stopping the clock for first downs in college football is stupid. No reason for it.
I'm OK with the clock stopping, it leads to more late game excitement. And I to root against Alabama and that was one of the best games I've seen in a long time. But yeah I didn't understand the end of the first half and I still don't.

Old 12-01-2019, 07:31 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,800,357 times
Alabama should fallout of a New Years Six bowl game. They played only 2 quality teams and lost to them both. Utah, Oklahoma, Florida, Wisconsin, Baylor and Penn State should all leap frog them in the polls this week.

Playoffs:

Ohio State
LSU
Clemson
Oklahoma

New Years Six

Wisconsin
Utah

Baylor
Georgia

Virginia
Penn State

Memphis
Oregon

Old 12-01-2019, 08:48 AM

538 only gives LSU a 17 percent chance of making playoffs if they lose to UGA.

it would be hilarious if LSU didn't get in after all the crazy hype

Old 12-01-2019, 09:42 AM

17,575 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
538 only gives LSU a 17 percent chance of making playoffs if they lose to UGA.

it would be hilarious if LSU didn't get in after all the crazy hype

538 also said there was an 80% chance Hillary would be president, so..

LSU, with wins over 4 top 10 teams.. I can't see them not getting in, even with a loss. Let's say they lose, and even lose fairly badly.. They still have those 4 resume wins. They'd be #4, no question, but they'd get in. Georgia would be either #2 or #3.

The Utah/Oklahoma argument will be the bigger one, I think. If they both win out and LSU beats Georgia..

Oklahoma will have the better resume, but the worse loss.. Even though it was a shootout loss and KState isn't a BAD team. Utah won't have as good a resume, but only loss to a ranked (now) USC team.

Who would give the better game? My opinion.. Oklahoma. but..

The real interesting part.. Who is #1 and who plays where? If it winds up Ohio State, LSU, Clemson and Oklahoma.. I presume that Ohio State would go to the Peach Bowl (Since, in theory, OK fans would travel better to Arizona) and LSU and Clemson fans would have to go to Arizona? That's big travel for all teams involved.

Old 12-01-2019, 09:55 AM

45,580 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I am embarrassed and disappointed about my MEAN GREEN's entire season. 4-8 and lost several games they should have won because someone forgot that there is more to football than havinga solid passing game.
North Texas?

Old 12-01-2019, 09:58 AM

45,580 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Should Alabama protest the game based on the end of the 1st half? Turned out to be the margin of victory.

It should have never happened.
Quote:
I don't like Alabama or Saban, but yeah they've got a legitimate gripe. Ridiculous to allow Auburn a play at the end of the half- it also relates to what I've said for years- stopping the clock for first downs in college football is stupid. No reason for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I'm OK with the clock stopping, it leads to more late game excitement. And I to root against Alabama and that was one of the best games I've seen in a long time. But yeah I didn't understand the end of the first half and I still don't.
Ditto Dave...

But even with the first down stoppage - there's no way under normal circumstances they could have either spiked the ball or got the FG team on the field in time to get points.

Last edited by DRob4JC; 12-01-2019 at 10:17 AM..

Old 12-01-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
538 also said there was an 80% chance Hillary would be president, so..

LSU, with wins over 4 top 10 teams.. I can't see them not getting in, even with a loss. Let's say they lose, and even lose fairly badly.. They still have those 4 resume wins. They'd be #4, no question, but they'd get in. Georgia would be either #2 or #3.

The Utah/Oklahoma argument will be the bigger one, I think. If they both win out and LSU beats Georgia..

Oklahoma will have the better resume, but the worse loss.. Even though it was a shootout loss and KState isn't a BAD team. Utah won't have as good a resume, but only loss to a ranked (now) USC team.

Who would give the better game? My opinion.. Oklahoma. but..

The real interesting part.. Who is #1 and who plays where? If it winds up Ohio State, LSU, Clemson and Oklahoma.. I presume that Ohio State would go to the Peach Bowl (Since, in theory, OK fans would travel better to Arizona) and LSU and Clemson fans would have to go to Arizona? That's big travel for all teams involved.
538 got the election wrong b/c of their political bias. i don't think they have a bias against LSU or for other teams.

Texas is not even ranked. not sure how it can be called a top 10 win

Utah most likely beats USC if their RB and I think their QB did not get hurt.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 12-01-2019 at 12:20 PM..

Old 12-01-2019, 07:30 PM

1,149 posts, read 451,434 times
Many coaches getting the axe in recent days. I was surprised by the Boston College move, as they tend to stay lax and I don't see the next head coach being any more successful there.

Rutgers brings back Schiano. The whole Jerry Sandusky situation will rear its ugly head, rightly or wrongly as it is linked with Schiano. From a coaching perspective, this is a great move. I don't get why some don't regard him as a guy capable of being a heckuva football coach. A barely over .500 coaching record is misleading when one considers how far he brought Rutgers- RUTGERS! from the doldrums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football