Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 09:02 AM

243 posts, read 1,630,361 times

Advertisements

Hell no, if anything they need to donate to me. It cost me $100,000 just to make $37,000 a year...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 12:32 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,851,409 times
I don't give right now, but might later on if my employment situation improves. I did ask them to stop calling me, but that was more because they were starting to call every night. I'd probably be a little more likely to give to my graduate school alma mater since I guess in theory I got more practical use out of that degree.

A lot of people soften their attitudes about their school as the years go by, I know if you'd asked me a few years after I got out of undergrad I would tell you that I'd never, ever give them any money. But these days I probably would give a small amount if I could, although there are other organizations I would give to first.

As far as why people attend schools they hate many times people get entrenched and it is too difficult to transfer.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:19 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,914,444 times
I don't necessarily "hate" my alma mater. But I really disagree with how they have managed money. I also felt really cheated by not getting my money's worth from the career services dept when I was a senior.

Since my undergrad school is a state school, they get lots of money, involuntarily, from state taxpayers, as well as from federal taxpayers, as federal dollars are funneled to state schools as well. So when they call me to ask for donations, I tell them I have donated every two weeks via federal and state withholding.

The college has frittered away money on non-academic things like gourmet food buffets, glossy on-campus condos, sculptures in the main quad, and trying to sway people politically to support things the school wants. When I was there I lived in a cinder-block dorm with no A/C and a generic cafeteria. They keep raising tuition artifically (like all universities have) and not in response to actual supply & demand.

If I ever see then changing, managing funds sensibly and effectively, then I'll certainly reconsider. Even if they do keep those stinkin' gourmet snack bars.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:41 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,527,001 times
Yes. Smaller amounts now but in twenty years would love to endow a scholarship.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:20 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,163,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I don't necessarily "hate" my alma mater. But I really disagree with how they have managed money. I also felt really cheated by not getting my money's worth from the career services dept when I was a senior.

Since my undergrad school is a state school, they get lots of money, involuntarily, from state taxpayers, as well as from federal taxpayers, as federal dollars are funneled to state schools as well. So when they call me to ask for donations, I tell them I have donated every two weeks via federal and state withholding.

The college has frittered away money on non-academic things like gourmet food buffets, glossy on-campus condos, sculptures in the main quad, and trying to sway people politically to support things the school wants. When I was there I lived in a cinder-block dorm with no A/C and a generic cafeteria. They keep raising tuition artifically (like all universities have) and not in response to actual supply & demand.

If I ever see then changing, managing funds sensibly and effectively, then I'll certainly reconsider. Even if they do keep those stinkin' gourmet snack bars.
Did you feel differently when choosing the institution? Would you not recommend your college?

I ask because I feel the opposite. I feel that my school lived up to my expectations (and currently still does as I am still involved in a non-academic way). I would highly recommend my school to individuals who want to study in an area in which my school excels.

I donate to my school because I want to make sure future students have as good of an experience as I did and feel they received a satisfying return on their investment.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:33 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,606 posts, read 81,297,702 times
I gave them enough money when I went there. Same for my high school, which is always asking for money (private).

I don't understand people who are so enamored with their college that they donate money after graduating, there are so many worthy causes, and they are charging a lot of tuition. You'd be much better off giving money to a college student family member to use at whatever college they want.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:41 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,191,969 times
Okay. I do respect people who have enough affection for their former school to hand them money.

But here's my question. If your alma mater has amassed an enormous endowment, why give more? I mean, if Harvard has an endowment of $25 BILLION, how exactly do they ask for more with a straight face? Heck, my own college's endowment isn't a billion, but it isn't chump change either.

Not questioning the motives of donors one iota. At the same time, are there other charities that might put the money to better use than simply shoving it into an investment account to remain untouched while capital accumulates?

Old 01-25-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Okay. I do respect people who have enough affection for their former school to hand them money.

But here's my question. If your alma mater has amassed an enormous endowment, why give more? I mean, if Harvard has an endowment of $25 BILLION, how exactly do they ask for more with a straight face? Heck, my own college's endowment isn't a billion, but it isn't chump change either.

Not questioning the motives of donors one iota. At the same time, are there other charities that might put the money to better use than simply shoving it into an investment account to remain untouched while capital accumulates?
Harvard is able to let kids who get in who's families make under 75k(around there) go for free. That is a very worthy cause that is possible due to generous donations.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I gave them enough money when I went there. Same for my high school, which is always asking for money (private).

I don't understand people who are so enamored with their college that they donate money after graduating, there are so many worthy causes, and they are charging a lot of tuition. You'd be much better off giving money to a college student family member to use at whatever college they want.
What is so hard to understand about having pride in your school and feeling the education you received there help you achieve what you have in life? It cost me 10k of my own money for my degree six years ago which I view as a very good investment. Had I paid 50k I might feel differently but if that was my cost of going to school I might be doing some trade instead.

Your money can easily go towards a student. Endow a scholarship.

Last edited by Gatornation; 01-25-2012 at 08:39 PM..

Old 01-25-2012, 08:34 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,163,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Harvard is able to let kids who get in who's families make under 75k(around there) go for free. That is a very worthy cause that is possible due to generous donations.
While I absolutely agree with you, I do wonder what the end result of these monstrous amounts of resources will be.

If you observe the colleges with the largest endowments, you will notice a general trend:

Average investment growth is about 11%
Average payout is about 5%
Average inflation is about 3%

These are very rough figures, but are close enough to portray the trend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities