Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 04:58 PM

1 posts, read 8,305 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

Next fall I will be a senior at Alfred University, a Marketing major. However I have bounced around a little academically - I was an English major for a while, but switched to Marketing thinking it would be more marketable (ha).

But, having done an internship in marketing strategy, I realize that I don't care about selling products. I am bright (3.9 GPA, 2030 SATs) but not interested in any major that seems to make money. My real passions are philosophy and psychology...go figure. My brother is a Mechanical Engineering major at Cornell; I've always been smart too, but more with philosophy and the written word instead of money-making, math-intensive fields like him.

What would you do if you were looking down at my cards?! (I also have over $50,000 in student loans I unwittingly agreed to...ugh, so I don't think going back for more would be wise).

Honest opinions welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 06:31 PM

93,175 posts, read 123,783,345 times
I know there is and will be a demand for accountants. So, it is something to think about.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:43 PM

169 posts, read 476,170 times
I would recommend hanging out in graduate school for a few years if you can get a teaching assistantship of some other financial aid. Pursue your passion while you are in your twenties. By 2015-2018, the market for lawyers should improve and I would consider law school at that time assuming you can get into one of the better schools. Being able to write is 70% of any interesting job (unless your passion involves working with your hands). Develop that skill and it will serve you well.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:05 AM

233 posts, read 685,442 times
It sounds like you enjoy philosophy, so major in that. It doesn't matter what you major in, as long as you know what you want in life. I got my degree in philosophy, and I feel that my education has paid off in my personal life more than anything.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:28 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,093,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aorre View Post
It sounds like you enjoy philosophy, so major in that. It doesn't matter what you major in, as long as you know what you want in life. I got my degree in philosophy, and I feel that my education has paid off in my personal life more than anything.
I agree. Initially, I was going to suggest accounting. There's always a demand for accountants. But if you'd rather live to live than live to get paid, I'd say follow your passion.

Definitely consider your long term plans first, though. If you follow your passion and ultimately realize that you still need to eat, keep a roof over your head, etc., then a practical choice might be best.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:14 PM

5,007 posts, read 10,684,206 times
Accounting. You need to make a living in order to be able to pursue your passion. Once you start surviving as an accountant, take Philosphy classes for fun, a second BA or an MA.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:43 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,210,761 times
Can you double in philosophy with accounting or marketing? Employers may not be impressed by a philosophy degree but the skills you might learn in studying philosophy will sharpen your mind and help you articulate, defend and question your own stances on issues. Try to get the best of both worlds if possible...good luck!

Old 05-25-2011, 03:30 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,093,862 times
I guess I should add this...

My plan was to major in finance, pursue an MBA and "do it big" in Nyc. LOL That never happened. But quite franky, I, too, have always been more interested in philosophy and the written word, as you stated. Nevertheless, I ended up with an A.S. in Business Administration, and I worked in the accounting field for 7 years, and I've been auditing for the past 3 years.

I read Nietzsche and Kant in my free time.

You stated that you aren't interested in a degree that makes money.

You also stated you've acquired student loan debt.

I'm now inclined to agree with poletop. If you can double in philosophy and accounting, you'll fufill your interest as well as possibly secure a job that will help pay off the loans.

Whatever you decide, I wish you success in your endeavor!

Old 05-25-2011, 04:16 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
Major in accounting so you can earn a living. Read philosophy for free.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:18 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,193,585 times
Accounting. Financial security brings its own freedoms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities