Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 10:54 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,343,626 times

Advertisements

I think it's worth it, but if I were to do it again, I would maybe do it a little differently. For example, a lot of students go to school right out of high school and plan to do it for four (or five) years straight, with maybe a part-time job and an internship here and there, mostly on borrowed funds. You can do that, but with today's economy and the inexplicably high tuition costs, I think students need to ask if it's worth putting themselves in a big hole so soon out of HS. Of course, the good news is, if you do it this way, you have plenty of time to pay it off...but it's a lot to pay off.

I would urge HS students to consider working a year or two, saving money, and maybe taking some basic courses while working until they begin to figure out what they want to do. If possible, see if the work that you do in this time gives you any kind of exposure to your possible areas of interest. If you're interested in law, for example, maybe be a runner or clerical worker for a law firm. See what it's like. Shadow them in your spare time. That kind of thing.

I think a college degree and the experience of just being educated at a higher level is definitely worth it, but I also think that students have legitimate concerns and should ask important questions and gain valuable real-world experience before borrowing tens of thousands of dollars against future income. Kids these days have to be a lot smarter and more judicious about their educational experience than in the past. But yeah, it's worth it, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 07:19 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,909,728 times
My degree isn't worth the debt! - Erik Solecki (1) - CNNMoney

Old 06-27-2011, 08:16 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,289,972 times
I worked 5 jobs before I got to college. Since the age of 16 I was going to high school during the day and working at night.
I worked stocking, fast food, over-night stocking, in a clothing store, and at a blockbuster. The people I met in these places really affected my view of college and education. How so? Well a lot of them were in their 30's or (gasp!) even 40's and working these crappy jobs toiling away for 6 - 10 dollars an hour. They would have to work 2 jobs, or 80 hours a week just to survive. Some of them were "assistant managers"-- or even "managers" of these places. They all said college wasn't worth it cause you could just work at "such-and-such" place for the rest of your life.

They were wrong. They hated their lives, and that was obvious. How can you enjoy life when you are working 80 hours a week?

I went to college, and at 25 I make well over $150K a year. So much for "working those fast food jobs" and moving up the crappy "fast food job chain." I wonder about these people who choose not to go to college... is it really that they feel they want to hold a crappy lowly job their whole lives? Why not shoot for something better?

Some people with low end jobs can make a good life for them self... but the fact is-- Most can't.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:34 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,869,949 times
For some people, it is worth it. And for others college is not worth it. I honestly wish that I would have waited before I got my degree in elementary education, because I don't enjoy teaching. Working for a few years would have helped me realize my passions. I would have had a few extra years to mature and really think about what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. I was 17 when I graduated and for a lot kids, that is way too young to be making career decisions.

For others, going to community college or trade school might be worth it. For example, if nursing is your passion, you may want to consider trade school. Nurses who go into nursing because it is their passion, still are getting jobs. The ones who went into it for the $$ are ending up unemployed.

Other kids may want to consider a skilled trade or apprenticeship. Or maybe starting their own business. I know someone who worked in retail right of high school and is now making $80,000 a year. Much more than I make with a four year degree. He has no college degree.

Although, if physical therapy, doctor, surgeon, speech therapy, or occupational therapy is one of your career goals then college is worth it.

The point, we need to be talking to kids about options and stop telling them that there is only one way to success.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:25 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,700,283 times
well as i sit at home.. living with my parents, with a degree from the best school in the state and 3 internships under my belt i agree...
i was told my whole life that college would save my life from parents,teachers,media... therefore i believed it and didn't try to save my own...

Old 06-28-2011, 09:19 PM

26 posts, read 56,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
well as i sit at home.. living with my parents, with a degree from the best school in the state and 3 internships under my belt i agree...
i was told my whole life that college would save my life from parents,teachers,media... therefore i believed it and didn't try to save my own...
Your not alone. I am in the same exact situation and believed the same bs. Oh, the naivety of youth

Old 06-28-2011, 09:54 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,884,734 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbauer5575 View Post
Your not alone. I am in the same exact situation and believed the same bs. Oh, the naivety of youth
The economy sucks

Old 06-28-2011, 10:01 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,214,932 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbauer5575 View Post
Your parents screwed you over....

Old 06-29-2011, 07:54 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,884,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Your parents screwed you over....
How did their parents screw them over?

Old 06-29-2011, 08:03 AM

1,446 posts, read 3,556,462 times

After looking at their stories , the schools, majors, years studied, and how much debt they racked up, I think they put things on the loan they should not have.

Some of these people were studying back in the 2000s.

Quote:
Student debt: $87,000

Degree:
Bachelor's in graphic design from Full Sale University
/\
Seriously. Isn't this an online college?

Sorry David, I don't buy your sob story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities