Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 10:09 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,742,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky2012 View Post
TreasuredJewel, meet school. School, meet TreasuredJewel.

TreasuredJewel, meet spellcheck. Spellcheck, meet TreasuredJewel.

If you're going to rip college grads, at least understand what a spellchecker is. Everytime you post, you are embarrassing yourself with your spelling errors and illogical reasoning.
my spellcheker doesnt work but this is the usual internet argumnt response when you know a person is right and you grasp at straws at the other persons grammar usually out of desperation and because yu are just sooo original

this is an internet forum not a college essay paper plus i am too lazy to go back and correct what i typed
but if you soo smart because yoou have a college degree then you should be able to know what i am saying with or without errors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 10:18 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,539,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
you obv havent seen "art instute" tuition cost have you
I was about to go into the reason why using an outlier statistic like 80k doesn't make much sense in a debate but just read the rest of your posts. I'll save my time.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:24 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,539,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I just started college this past August and honestly, no I don't think college is worth it. It's a waste of time and money. I'm just being taught stuff I already know about. Why can't I just do whatever career it is I want already? Why do we have to spend thousands of dollars to be "taught" stuff we already know and then leave with thousands of dollars in debt to find out we still can't be hired? It makes little to no sense to me whatsoever.

I know how to use a computer, I can read, write, talk, and I have a high IQ score. I also have good work ethics. That should be good enough.

I'm tired of school, writing essays and spending money I don't want to spend.

College just delays and even prevents people from doing what they really want. I don't want to be in college. I already want to have a career, my own home, be married with a baby on the way. I feel ready for these adult milestones. But no... I have to spend another 4-6 years in school. I'm only in school to satisfy my family.

College is just an excuse to allow adults to extend their immature teenage years. People ARE be able to work and do things on their own by the time they're 18 if people let them. But society has babied them and made them incompetent of using their maximum potential.

College IS a rip-off. Why do you think they charge people outrageous prices? To gain profits of course. Plus most people drop of college anyway. So why put so much emphasis and concern on college when most people drop out?
You live in Florida which has some of the cheapest tuition anywhere for starters.

If you are so ready to earn money and not be "babied" nothing stops you from working while in school. Finish school in three years if it's so easy.

Old 12-24-2011, 06:21 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,903,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Your broad generalizations really hide some of the few good points you make. Going to a top 100 college these days still an easy choice. You just have to be mindful of your major and how much you pay.

What you also neglect to mention are the proven facts. Those being the salary differences and the unemployment rate. These days you aren't guaranteed a job after college and that has a lot to do with all the crappy schools kids are going to.

What needs to be done now is differentiating colleges and then gather statistics.
I think it's still a crazy scam and people aren't getting the right facts in k-12 to make good informed decisions. Otherwise the for profits wouldn't be a $500 billion dollar business, and tier 3 law, and all these things.

Student loans headed for $1 trillion this year

-Ask yourself logically, why are so many kids pushed into overpriced colleges in this age of free information (internet). Why are people paying higher than inflation prices if information is free flowing, and essentially free?

Organizing that knowledge, and deliving it....it should be going down. Or stalling.

-No job creation going on for 11 years.

I think the education establishment has been so insulated for so long, and they have such a grip on their future customer base (i.e. k-12), little things like job creation don't seem to get in the way of charging higher than inflation prices year after year.

-In some cases, professions have changed radically in 30-40 years. I.e. law.

But I think they are still trying to present it to freshman as an apples to apples comparison. I think there's a lot of bending of the truth, fudging statistics, pushing what they want, and what will do them good (i.e. stats on college grads employed after 9 months). But they dont tell you the quality of the jobs, the real employment prospects, mistakes made, etc.

-Why has no one questioned the entire model of education? You can learn plenty online or on your own.

You'd think there would be a lot more free independent study now. 1/2 on your own. 1/2 in class. And the price, thus would maybe be in half? Or 60-70%.

-Even worthwhile, traditional majors like english, psychology, history, etc. These aren't immune from global competition, or prices elsewhere.

If we were science and engineering oriented, I'd be less critical. There are many degrees that are great like medicine, engineering, the sciences. But american kids for the most part are getting a very watered down, mediocre product. At prices that would never work in the private market.

-There's also a disconnect with the real world in some subjects...i.e. business or finance. They don't really look at ethics or morality, personal ethos, beliefs. That's more important than the subject matter being taught in many cases. Look at the degrees some of the people had on wall street, at treasury, in the whitehouse, etc.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:50 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,339,211 times
College HUGELY increases your chance of having a higher-paying job. I mean, you could start off low at a company and rise through the ranks but at some point you'll likely need a degree for a promotion. Especially nowadays when they can easily find some kid who graduated and has far more education.

It's all about making yourself more competitive than other potential applicants and face it, whether you want to be in denial or not, a College education is a MASSIVE plus. Though I believe that experience is more important than education but most employers won't even give you a chance at getting experience without an education these days unless you have some awesome connections.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:20 AM

77 posts, read 200,228 times
Quote:
my spellcheker doesnt work but this is the usual internet argumnt response when you know a person is right and you grasp at straws at the other persons grammar usually out of desperation and because yu are just sooo original

this is an internet forum not a college essay paper plus i am too lazy to go back and correct what i typed
but if you soo smart because yoou have a college degree then you should be able to know what i am saying with or without errors

As President Reagan stated to President Carter during the 1980 Presidential debate (and I cannot believe I am quoting him), THERE YOU GO AGAIN. Again, if you're going to rant, USE A SPELLCHECKER!! You keep embarrASSing yourself everytime you type. The old adage that "Reading is fundamental" will forever ring true.

Perhaps it's the fact that college grads make roughly a million more than their counterparts over their lifetime, or the fact that the UE rate for college grads---even in this tough economy---is roughly 4% nationally compared to 8% for those with some college, 10% for high school graduates, and 15% for HS dropouts might be a compelling enough argument for you?

Yes, there are plenty of ways to win outside of the traditional four-year Bachelor's degree route. But spare me the stories about Bill Gates, the late Steve Jobs, and a few other notables making their billions without college degrees. They were going to succeed regardless of whether they had a college education or not, because of their innovative minds and drive. Most people have neither the will (which would include you), nor the financial means (Gates' family was pretty prosperous in the Seattle area) to get a business off the ground and running. It's called the law of averages.

Perhaps your "laziness" is the reason why you couldn't chuck it in college. You have such circular reasoning. "If I say that college is irrelevant over and over again, people will believe me!!" is about as unoriginal logically as one can get.

Keep on ranting with everyone on this board that you disagree with. I'm laughing at you this morning...lol. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Last edited by Squeaky2012; 12-24-2011 at 10:38 AM..

Old 12-24-2011, 10:30 AM

77 posts, read 200,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I think it's still a crazy scam and people aren't getting the right facts in k-12 to make good informed decisions. Otherwise the for profits wouldn't be a $500 billion dollar business, and tier 3 law, and all these things.

Student loans headed for $1 trillion this year

-Ask yourself logically, why are so many kids pushed into overpriced colleges in this age of free information (internet). Why are people paying higher than inflation prices if information is free flowing, and essentially free?

Organizing that knowledge, and deliving it....it should be going down. Or stalling.

-No job creation going on for 11 years.

I think the education establishment has been so insulated for so long, and they have such a grip on their future customer base (i.e. k-12), little things like job creation don't seem to get in the way of charging higher than inflation prices year after year.

-In some cases, professions have changed radically in 30-40 years. I.e. law.

But I think they are still trying to present it to freshman as an apples to apples comparison. I think there's a lot of bending of the truth, fudging statistics, pushing what they want, and what will do them good (i.e. stats on college grads employed after 9 months). But they dont tell you the quality of the jobs, the real employment prospects, mistakes made, etc.

-Why has no one questioned the entire model of education? You can learn plenty online or on your own.

You'd think there would be a lot more free independent study now. 1/2 on your own. 1/2 in class. And the price, thus would maybe be in half? Or 60-70%.

-Even worthwhile, traditional majors like english, psychology, history, etc. These aren't immune from global competition, or prices elsewhere.

If we were science and engineering oriented, I'd be less critical. There are many degrees that are great like medicine, engineering, the sciences. But american kids for the most part are getting a very watered down, mediocre product. At prices that would never work in the private market.

-There's also a disconnect with the real world in some subjects...i.e. business or finance. They don't really look at ethics or morality, personal ethos, beliefs. That's more important than the subject matter being taught in many cases. Look at the degrees some of the people had on wall street, at treasury, in the whitehouse, etc.

In China recently, the government has taken it upon itself to eliminate majors that do not transfer into solid job prospects in the real world, and I would love to see that happen in this country. But I am afraid they won't, since there are too many vested interests in Washington that will never allow that to happen.

It would also be wonderful if they eliminate the general education courses---save math, English, and Logic. Speaking of logic, it's amazing how one can go through four years of schooling and never be taught how to think clearly, and independently.

I have argued with others that the future college classroom will be a bit as you envision it: on-campus and online. However, I wouldn't be shocked if 20-25 years from now my children will be attending Princeton, Minnesota, or Texas minus ever stepping foot on the campus, since the "campus" will be a largely virtual one for students.

Perhaps the central campuses will be roughly 15-20 buildings where the profs teach through an online format to the "class" while the physical campus itself also serves an administrative role, retaining school records (scores, transcripts, etc.) and such.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:39 AM

504 posts, read 1,273,087 times
Quote:

I'll put the same amount of effort into reading your post as you put into writing it. Does that sound fair?
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
Because a college education isn't just about transferring information. Most of the "material" taught in colleges is never going to be useful for students. A college education is and will continue to be valued by employers because it provides invaluable social programming and ideological discipline.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:00 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,742,983 times
well you can scream about how it is absouletely nesscessary to go to college when you will just spend the rest of your life in student debt. i cant go to college as i cant aford it and there is no subject that interest me. mmajority of my classmates didnt go to college either

Old 12-24-2011, 11:20 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,339,211 times
Quote:
well you can scream about how it is absouletely nesscessary to go to college when you will just spend the rest of your life in student debt. i cant go to college as i cant aford it and there is no subject that interest me. mmajority of my classmates didnt go to college either
There's Scholarships, Grants and TAP that can cover most of your tuition if you have a good GPA or if you come from a disadvantaged background. Very few people pay full tuition these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities