Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 05:17 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
The most overrated college in my area is without a doubt New York University (NYU). Vastly, insanely overpriced but they have an excellent brand. They act like they are Ivy League -- but aren't.

Under-rated would be the community colleges. They often employ the exact same faculty that NYU and Columbia have.
NYU is cheap. Tuition is $40,000/year with an average scholarship of $28,000/year. That's a net of $12,000/year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 05:52 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
Co Sign NYU...as being overrated. Good school but extremely costly. Fordham is a fine school but very overpriced as well.

Underrated would be something like SUNY Stony Brook or SUNY Binghamton. Good quality education relative to the cost. Thrown in CUNY Brooklyn and CUNY Queens...and maybe even City College.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
NYU is cheap. Tuition is $40,000/year with an average scholarship of $28,000/year. That's a net of $12,000/year.
Where did you get the idea that the average scholarship is 28k? Also, NYU is extremely stingy with financial Aid outside of loans. The average scholarship just might be that high, but I don't think the average student is on scholarship.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Where did you get the idea that the average scholarship is 28k? Also, NYU is extremely stingy with financial Aid outside of loans. The average scholarship just might be that high, but I don't think the average student is on scholarship.
College Search - New York University - NYU - Cost & Financial Aid

Old 09-22-2011, 06:05 PM

Ah I see...it says avg need based scholarships are 21-22k with roughly 2800 of 22,000 undergrads receiving that.

Tack on the cost of living of 10k per semester and kids are handing over some serious cash.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Ah I see...it says avg need based scholarships are 21-22k with roughly 2800 of 22,000 undergrads receiving that.

Tack on the cost of living of 10k per semester and kids are handing over some serious cash.
You left out non-need scholarships and the fact that 70% of their freshman get some sort of financial aid.

Cost of Living in NYC is flat no matter what school you go to.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
You left out non-need scholarships and the fact that 70% of their freshman get some sort of financial aid.

Cost of Living in NYC is flat no matter what school you go to.
It says non-need scholarships are an average of 7k. And financial aid includes loans. Schools try to mask the lack of scholarships by lumping them altogether so you can't always descipher one from the other.

And NYC housing isn't flat, just as NYC real estate and the cost of rent isn't. NYU housing is much more expensive than other city campuses cept for maybe Columbia.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
It says non-need scholarships are an average of 7k. And financial aid includes loans. Schools try to mask the lack of scholarships by lumping them altogether so you can't always descipher one from the other.

And NYC housing isn't flat, just as NYC real estate and the cost of rent isn't. NYU housing is much more expensive than other city campuses cept for maybe Columbia.
You missed the point. In NYC, you don't have to live on campus. You have so many options, and don't even need a car... anyways offtopic.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:54 PM

174 posts, read 596,633 times
Marquette University here in Milwaukee is way overrated. They like to think of themselves as being an Ivy League university on par with Yale and Harvard. I'm sorry to say this, but they're not even close.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
You missed the point. In NYC, you don't have to live on campus. You have so many options, and don't even need a car... anyways offtopic.
I don't think I missed the point. The fact of the matter is--NYU housing is more expensive than other schools in the city. With their tuition costs and living expenses and lack of scholarships, you are putting up a mountain of cash. And housing isn't a flat expense-- there are other options, but unless you already live in NYC, most people can't/don't utlize them for various reasons.

Plus what other options are you referring to? Most people that I know that went there (including myself) either live on campus; at home locally, or they share an overpriced apartment which pretty much adds up to the same thing. The only cheap way out is really to live at home. Most kids who share an apartment live in the area (soho, Tribeca, and other "trendy" neighborhoods etc) with an average of 1k per month rent (or 12k per year) which is pretty costly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities