Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 10:09 AM

35 posts, read 36,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I think the same. I also do not think NYU is all it's cracked up to be.
At either of these colleges who will be little more than a number. The colleges get their reputations from the city. Big glamorous city - college must be good. That is the thinking of some parents and students.

Colleges such as BU and NYU offer a public education at a private school price.

They attract many first generation students, foreign students, a rejects from better colleges that are less well known.

I'd put University of Miami and Northeastern in that same category.

they have large application pools, because they are famous. So they are more selective. That's about it.

NYU is famous in entertainment circles throughout the USA as well as Internationally (except maybe your town) for their Academy Award winners, Emmy Award winners, Grammy Award winners, Tony Award winners just to start.

Also NYU is noted for their Nobel laureates, MacArthur Fellows, Pulitzer Prize winners. Known in Press, literature and arts. Music, Medicine and some pretty outstanding Professors and researchers known internationally.

NYU connection to Government..... check Members of the United States House of Representatives, Members of the United States Senate, Government, international organizations and other.

A public educational wish maybe LOL. Prime example of why opinions on the internet cannot be trusted. Any fool could have checked a list of University alumni and came off more credible.

OP just be watchful of where any source comes from.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-02-2015 at 11:24 AM.. Reason: removed ths snide comment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 11:48 AM

4,664 posts, read 4,569,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinful Thoughts View Post

NYU is famous in entertainment circles throughout the USA as well as Internationally (except maybe your town) for their Academy Award winners, Emmy Award winners, Grammy Award winners, Tony Award winners just to start.

Also NYU is noted for their Nobel laureates, MacArthur Fellows, Pulitzer Prize winners. Known in Press, literature and arts. Music, Medicine and some pretty outstanding Professors and researchers known internationally.

NYU connection to Government..... check Members of the United States House of Representatives, Members of the United States Senate, Government, international organizations and other.

A public educational wish maybe LOL. Prime example of why opinions on the internet cannot be trusted. Any fool could have checked a list of University alumni and came off more credible.

OP just be watchful of where any source comes from.
To be fair, schools like NYU and GWU have greatly improved their reputations in the last several years. I'm from NYC, and when I was applying to college decades ago, there were a few schools that were considered strong (Stern, Tisch) but overall, NYU didn't have nearly the reputation it does now.

For the sake of comparison, Wikipedia lists 12 NYU alumni as Nobel Laureates (and that includes Poly). CUNY (NYC's public university system) has 13.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-02-2015 at 11:25 AM..

Old 03-25-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
To be fair, schools like NYU and GWU have greatly improved their reputations in the last several years. I'm from NYC, and when I was applying to college decades ago, there were a few schools that were considered strong (Stern, Tisch) but overall, NYU didn't have nearly the reputation it does now.

For the sake of comparison, Wikipedia lists 12 NYU alumni as Nobel Laureates (and that includes Poly). CUNY (NYC's public university system) has 13.

Nobel Laureates

33 listed in All. (Check Wiki since it pasted messy here).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...versity_alumni

Awards covering decades.

And how many entertainment awards are noted from CUNY. (Stern & Tisch ARE NYU. LOL Check Business Alumni. Can CUNY note any billionaires.) Point being when you're wrong you're wrong. NYU has the reputation established from their Alumni. One is a fool to consider such on the level as that of a public education.

(Researchers, Politics, Cultural Awards, Publishing etc)

Let others make up their own minds.

List of New York University alumni - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Sinful Thoughts; 03-25-2015 at 12:54 PM..

Old 03-25-2015, 12:43 PM

Your list of 33 "alumni" Nobel laureates includes faculty members that never attended NYU as students. For instance, Robert Engle studied at Williams and Cornell.

Only 12 actually hold a NYU degree (if you include Poly).

Last edited by Mr. Zero; 03-25-2015 at 12:51 PM..

Old 03-25-2015, 01:20 PM

You can say as you wish. I'm sure 13 is informative for your purposes as the 33 listed is of mine.
(including POLY which is a merged school with what used to be called The School of Engineering. NYU is composed of 15 Schools.)

I also included Academy Awards etc as well as Politics. Point being, one is a fool to consider anything outside of a School's Alumni and Faculty as a measure of prestige.

A school's reputation based on the city it is located in? Seems so to some and I'll leave it at that. LOL

My point has been made. Consider it done from my end. Continue alone if you must.

Last edited by Sinful Thoughts; 03-25-2015 at 01:28 PM..

Old 03-25-2015, 02:25 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,958,368 times
Quote:
You can say as you wish. I'm sure 13 is informative for your purposes as the 33 listed is of mine.
(including POLY which is a merged school with what used to be called The School of Engineering. NYU is composed of 15 Schools.)

I also included Academy Awards etc as well as Politics. Point being, one is a fool to consider anything outside of a School's Alumni and Faculty as a measure of prestige.

A school's reputation based on the city it is located in? Seems so to some and I'll leave it at that. LOL

My point has been made. Consider it done from my end. Continue alone if you must.
Using Academy Award winners in trying to increase a school's academic reputation is ridiculous. There's really nothing special about NYU, other than being in NYC..

Old 03-25-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:

My number (13) is informative from the point of considering NYU's historical reputation, which is why I wouldn't really consider the one year that Francis Crick spent as a post-graduate researcher at Poly (a completely separate school at a time), as contributing much to NYU's academic historical academic reputation.

Since you seem to have missed my point, I'll state it a bit more simply. NYU is a considered a strong school now. This was not always the case. Previously, only a few of their schools (Tisch and Stern) had a top-notch reputation. The rest of the schools did not. In the past 20 years, NYU has done a lot to bolster their reputation, including hiring Noble laureates (and I guess claiming them as alumni), expanding the campus and even acquiring another school (Poly). However, older posters (like myself and probably Sheena) still remember the days when NYU (beyond Tisch and Stern) was considered middle of the pack.

Growing up in NYC can provide someone with a more nuanced understanding of local institutions' histories. For example, when it comes to CUNY, I (unlike you) am aware that NYC's public university system does indeed have billionaire alumni (ex. Charles Wang) and even billionaire dropouts (ex. Ralph Lauren). Since you mentioned politics and government, I'm also aware that CUNY alumni includes a US Secretary of State (Colin Powell) and US Supreme Court Justice (Felix Frankfurter).

Edited: Just realized that De Blasio was an NYU grad. That school is going places!

Last edited by Mr. Zero; 03-25-2015 at 04:58 PM..

Old 03-25-2015, 05:36 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,128,160 times
This is what I've determined from my friends who all graduated from a variety of schools with different degrees.

Prestige is an illusion outside the top 20 or so schools at the undergrad level. If you attend one of these top schools you can meet with on campus recruiters from prestigious finance companies like bain capital, goldman sachs, bank of america, deloitte etc. regardless of major. Sometimes engineers from lesser ranked schools and good internship experience and high GPAs get these jobs to, but the majority people recruited for these companies right out of school are from prestigious universities. A few of the technical majors from top schools also go on to very highly paid technical roles in companies like Google that often pay 90k+ out the gate.

If you're lower on the toten pole you often need to major in something practical and do internships. Then you can get a job in your field. The good news is lots of medical, engineering, software jobs aren't all in high cost of living centers like finance. In other words, the 70k salary in new york may not be as good as the entry level 55k Engineering job in NC or TX once you add taxes and the cost of rent into the mix.

Unless you're a hot chick majoring in a non-practical major at a lesser ranked school often has a negative ROI. For most of these people they have to go back to school for another degree (grad, 2 yr, another bs) and take on more debt to make enough money to be self sufficient.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:27 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,101,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Using Academy Award winners in trying to increase a school's academic reputation is ridiculous. There's really nothing special about NYU, other than being in NYC..

Seems somewhat applicable if it is an arts school.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:56 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,161,292 times
It's really not fair that people are trashing BU because it isn't Harvard.

BU is a fine school academically. Here is a list of BU's rankings both nationally and internationally. The finance and business programs are well regarded.

Boston University rankings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities