Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 07:40 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,638,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I guess I don't understand what difference it makes how other colleges are thought of. If you haven't been accepted to other colleges then it doesn't matter, does it? Is BU the only one you've heard from? For grad school, the strength of the program is supposed to be what matters, not the name of the college. Your goal should be to connect with your Professors so you can do the best you can and get the most from the program. I hope you've had a chance to visit each of the colleges and make those connections so you'll know what you are getting into.
Considering my GPA and my work experience, I had no choice but to choose middle of the road schools that are all in the same rank. So it doesn't matter which school I choose. At this point I just care about the practicality of the degree and school's overall prestige.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 08:24 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,433,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Rice? I'm from Houston and Rice has a Harvard like reputation in TX but outside of TX I never thought much of it. I think you're giving it way too much credit.

BU = Tulane, Emory, UT-Austin, UW-Seattle
They know it on the coasts...and, if you ever consider graduate school, they will definitely know it. If it weren't as good as it is, it wouldn't be a tough admit and have the high grades/test scores found in people admitted.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:16 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,053,666 times
Quote:
West Coast, either San Fran or Los Angeles. I already went to a top ten school for undergrad but I majored in liberal arts (Government with a minor in Econ) and no one gives two bits about where you went to school here in Texas. It's still good ol' boy network here.

I am thinking that the only way to get your money's worth from these top schools is to go to the major cities where the alumni base is huge like NY or LA or Chicago or DC.

I am trying to supplement my near Ivy education BA with a practical degree from a top school.
If you go to LA youd have to compete w USC graduates, USC has a strong LA network. BU might not be good enough. Of ourse in SF youd compete w Berkeley and Stanford alumnis

Old 05-22-2012, 09:21 PM

But then again so does my undergrad alma mater. Huge LA base.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Did I miss where you want to move geographically? Are you sure about that move? Get the degree at the best possible school in the area in which you plan to settle.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 05-22-2012 at 09:50 PM..

Old 05-22-2012, 09:45 PM

977 posts, read 1,818,406 times
Quote:
Rice? I'm from Houston and Rice has a Harvard like reputation in TX but outside of TX I never thought much of it. I think you're giving it way too much credit.

BU = Tulane, Emory, UT-Austin, UW-Seattle
Emory is definitely better than Boston U. BU is a decent school, but nowhere near prestigious. It's acceptance rate and average SAT of enrolling students is too low to be prestigious. I'm only rating based on undergrad.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:16 PM

I am guessing that prestige is based on undergrad acceptance? It seems that US News has done their job.

I tend to look at schools based on their grad programs, undergrad, overall academic reputation, professors, endowment, Nobel Prize winners, alumni.

Not a glorified beauty contest for 18 year old high school seniors. I regret being such an academic hermit to get into a top ten school when my best friend dropped out of high school, got his GED and went to community college. He transferred to UT-Austin, majored in engineering and is making well over 90k a year at 28 years old.

Meanwhile I went to the more prestigious school and am making a little over a quarter of his salary. Do the math.

US News rankings suck. I tend to trust the international rankings more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
Emory is definitely better than Boston U. BU is a decent school, but nowhere near prestigious. It's acceptance rate and average SAT of enrolling students is too low to be prestigious. I'm only rating based on undergrad.
Emory is a "jappy" southern school with a northeastern student body. A wannabe Ivy.

It's ranked better than BU but really they're not that far off from each other.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Emory is a "jappy" southern school with a northeastern student body. A wannabe Ivy. It's ranked better than BU but really they're not that far off from each other.
Haha. I appreciate your honesty. When I lived in Atlanta, I lived in a newer apartment complex with some students who went to Emory. Based on their behavior, they were undergrads, complete with late model expensive cars and plates from Northeastern states. Most people in the complex were cool. They were not.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:56 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,884,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDay1 View Post
Let's put it this way, BU and BC has regional prestige.

It does NOT have national and international prestige like Harvard, Stanford, Cornell, Rice, and MIT.
I happen to know how good Rice is, but there are many people on the east coast that have never heard of it.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:15 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,053,666 times
Quote:
But USC is the strongest network. Followed by UCLA. Doubt a Texas could would have as a rovust network as these two.

You got your answer on BU.

Can this thread now be closed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities