Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 11:28 AM

9,411 posts, read 13,071,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
That sucks because it's a top notch university, probably better than half of the Ivies?

Also, can someone please tell me what they think of UCLA in CA? It is considered prestigious at all?
But it doesn't matter how the public perceives U Chicago because the best employers/academics (ie the people who matter) are very well acquainted with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 11:35 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,178,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I'm not ONE of those people. I would find an Ivy League school stifling, as well as the treadmill that comes with it.

In another thread, someone said that's what people who couldn't get in say. Considering I did practically nothing at a reputable Catholic HS and graduated in the top 10% of my class and got a healthy SAT, I'm sure if I pulled out the throttle I could have seen an Ivy - maybe not Harvard or Yale, but maybe Penn.

Right. Who cares? I'd take a larger, warm or temperate weather state school (UF, UT, UNC), avail myself of the broad and MORE PRACTICAL course offerings, and dress in shorts/flip-flops most of the year.
i thought i read "broads" at first

i thought uchicago was consistently ranked within the top ten? maybe its one of those things like upenn where it looks like it could be a public school so people don't realize how good of a school it is. they're especially good/well-known in economics

i always get BU and BC mixed up.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:58 AM

13,255 posts, read 33,607,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
But it doesn't matter how the public perceives U Chicago because the best employers/academics (ie the people who matter) are very well acquainted with it.
Exactly right. The people that do the hiring are either aware of the good colleges or the best programs or they're just hiring the people from their own college.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:19 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,638,404 times
Quote:
I'm not ONE of those people. I would find an Ivy League school stifling, as well as the treadmill that comes with it.
Even at Northwestern the atmosphere was very stifling. I can only imagine an Ivy. I wished I had gone to UT-Austin, majored in Engineering and went to the lakes on the weekends.

The upper crust schools are full of competitive, pretentious, elite wannabes that take life way too seriously. Not only that but their perception of being intelligent is actually really narrow and limited. I found my colleagues to be very smart but within a framework and that framework was really conformist.

Literally they're boot camps for the future establishment, nothing more.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:29 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,248,858 times
Prestige can be important, but emploes in the know, are not impressed by any old private college.

BU is a bit better than average. Anytime someone picks a religious college, what ever the affiliation, they run the risk of being seen as narrow minded or parochial.

Flag ship state schools are a good choice.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:32 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,248,858 times
And as others stated, how business, industry and academics look at your college is what's important.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:39 PM

6,456 posts, read 7,029,624 times
"prestigious?" No

Prestige sort of signifies exclusivity. BU does not have that "wow, how did you ever get in there" type of snobbery about it.

Only a few programs and schools in general have that brand. But BU is generally recognized as a "good (expensive) school."

I would say that it does have some national recognition in places where it matters, but it simply does not carry the weight with a "wow" factor attached to it.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:17 PM

9,411 posts, read 13,071,829 times
Quote:
Even at Northwestern the atmosphere was very stifling. I can only imagine an Ivy. I wished I had gone to UT-Austin, majored in Engineering and went to the lakes on the weekends.

The upper crust schools are full of competitive, pretentious, elite wannabes that take life way too seriously. Not only that but their perception of being intelligent is actually really narrow and limited. I found my colleagues to be very smart but within a framework and that framework was really conformist.

I gotta tell you, the douchery at my law school does not at all fall along undergrad lines. My best friends there went to every kind of undergrad, including Penn, Georgetown, Berkeley, BYU, Buffalo, and West Chester. I went to a state school, but I'm happy for my friends who were able to take advantage of the opportunities a top school has to offer. Had I been able to afford it, I would have been right there with them. You have no reason to be bitter since, from the sound of things, you got to the same place in the end.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 05-25-2012 at 07:33 AM.. Reason: removed snarky comment

Old 05-24-2012, 06:58 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,056,351 times
Quote:

Now now now, didnt your top education not teach you to not generalize?
I didnt find that the case at all.

Frankly perhaps you felt this way was because, to quote you, you were the king of mediocrity?

Old 05-24-2012, 07:47 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,638,404 times
Default If I may rant for a minute.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Now now now, didnt your top education not teach you to not generalize?
I didnt find that the case at all.

Frankly perhaps you felt this way was because, to quote you, you were the king of mediocrity?
It had more to do with the fact that while there was a lot of racial and cultural diversity there wasn't a lot of economic diversity at these schools. I came from a really working class background, was lucky to get into NU and did alright. It's just that what glitters is not all gold.

The student body at NU and most of the top schools I visited seemed for the most part homogeneous.

I actually do make exceptions though, I should not over generalize. I think I was meant to go to a school like Berkeley, Columbia, Brown, UT-Austin or even Reed College.

NU was pretty yuppified and while not conservative, definitely conformist.

How do you guys not see that some of these top schools breed that next generation of yuppies? Even when they try to be "radical" or "revolutionary" they still manage to fall into something trendy liberal and mainstream.

Sorry, I grew up with radical 60s parents escaping dictatorship in Greece. There are no more real radicals out there challenging the status quo. They think that creating the next non-profit or social enterprise is helping (and it does) but it's really just putting a band-aid on a gun shot wound. While I am not trying to knock the innovative ways college grads are making a difference, it's not outside the box or providing any real alternatives. It's like they're completely afraid of advocating for total systemic change like the generations before them.

Most people today think that being anti-establishment or radical is just "growing up with a chip on your shoulder" or vulgar or just beneath them.

Point is, I went to NU with the impression that it was a challenging university and it wasn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities