Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 06:24 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,638,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
I happen to know how good Rice is, but there are many people on the east coast that have never heard of it.
Exactly. I get blank stares in the NE when I mention Rice University as far as great schools in TX. The person I last told this too said, "yeah good school". Nothing more. In Texas, Rice is believed by many to be Ivy. Outside of TX it's a good school, nothing more.

Of course we know better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
But USC is the strongest network. Followed by UCLA. Doubt a Texas could would have as a rovust network as these two.

You got your answer on BU.

Can this thread now be closed?
I went to Northwestern. It has a surprisingly big base in LA.

Would a BA from Northwestern and an MS from BU be enough to compete in LA?

Is going from Northwestern to Boston U taking a step down?

Old 05-23-2012, 06:29 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,053,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
NYU is prestigious, no doubt about that, but I figured it to be just a notch above BU. I thought they were still comparable considering they're both big private schools next to major Ivies and have similar well ranked grad schools.

I cannot go to NYU. Too pricey, don't now anyone in NYC and I have family I can stay with in Boston.

BU seems to be my best option at the moment until I hear back from WashU in St. Louis and Texas A&M in College Station.

I figured the Boston name would've at least carried to California as like you said LA people have a high opinion of Northeasterners.

Who said California people have a high opinion of Northeasterners?
First i heard of this. Im from Cali living in the northeast.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:31 AM

Quote:

Hard to say. What you have on your resume, none-academic, will be more important. Having a name school is just a filter.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:47 AM

13,255 posts, read 33,603,333 times
Quote:
Considering my GPA and my work experience, I had no choice but to choose middle of the road schools that are all in the same rank. So it doesn't matter which school I choose. At this point I just care about the practicality of the degree and school's overall prestige.
So when you graduate you are hoping that the hiring managers care mostly about the name of a college instead of how good the program is? I'm not disqualifying name-brand colleges as being a great tip for employment, but I would encourage you to attend a college with Professors that you will work well with and help you find employment at the end.

My daughter just graduated with her masters a couple of weeks ago. Her program is the top rated in the country, but the college itself is not as well known or ranked as highly. She knew that going in and chose the college after meeting with the Professors. She was also accepted at NYU, among others, but did not feel that they would be as good for her. As a new grad, she is looking for a job and a couple of Professors are working with her - not just writing letters of recommendation, but calling and e-mailing people in her intended field. In her field, the program at her college is well known, so we're hoping that will be a tip in her favor.

I just think it would be a sort of purgatory to be in college for two years if you found that you didn't like the Professors or the program and were only attending because of some elusive prestige factor, that may or may not matter to the people that do the hiring.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Hard to say. What you have on your resume, none-academic, will be more important. Having a name school is just a filter.
Let's just say I am the king of mediocrity.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:13 AM

13,255 posts, read 33,603,333 times
Quote:
Who said California people have a high opinion of Northeasterners?
First i heard of this. Im from Cali living in the northeast.
I agree^. I think most Californians think that they live in the best place in the US and think that the rest of the country is envious of them. I surely wouldn't count on a NE college to hold cache for that reason.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:50 AM

977 posts, read 1,818,406 times
Quote:

It'll be enough to compete, but yes, N'Western to BU is a step down but it's not like you're going from N'Western to Idaho St, no offense to Idaho St.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Let's just say I am the king of mediocrity.
Then it doesnt matter where you go to grad school. Good HR people can see through a padded resume or through mediocrity that a BU degree wont hide.

Why even go to grad school if you are mediocre?

Use your NW connections to try to get into a training program w a good company. Get work experience, then try for a better school in a year or two.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Use your NW connections to try to get into a training program w a good company. Get work experience, then try for a better school in a year or two.
good point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities