Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 01:05 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,148,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Be serious. You are trying to compare a POS trade school like DeVry to Brown University?

I can assure you the snickers are reserved for those deluding themselves into going to DeVry and thinking that they are attending college. DeVry is known for what it is. Ripoff junk.
Are you a student?

Rest assured, I am serious. The professor I referenced graduated from an Ivy generally considered above Brown. Her educational credentials are ridiculous. Yet, she makes less.

That's why I say ... if $ means anything to you at all, then you will seriously consider your field of study. In truth, someone with a degree from Brown in liberal arts can parlay that into a consulting gig making good $ IF they are lucky. And in reality, most people who graduate with a BA from Brown go on to graduate or professional school. But otherwise, they will be no better off than the person with a computer miscellaneous degree from DeVry in terms of prospects of gainful employment.

Sad, but the truth in the real world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 01:49 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,831,516 times
Nope. I'm not a student. Far past that point with many years experience in the real world both corporate and gov't.

Sorry, a computer miscellaneous degree from DeVry in no way compares with degrees from top ranked universities. Most corporations won't even talk to you if you are from DeVry. They know better.

Given todays world there are a lot of graduates from the top universities looking for jobs.An attendee of an over-priced trade school like DeVry isn't even on the radar for most of the jobs that are available.

Companies do prefer to hire people who are literate and intelligent. They refuse to talk to those from places like DeVry who can't read their own name without moving their lips.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:44 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,988,518 times
My brother is doing very good with DeVry. He was never really a good student getting at most B's and a few A's in traditional college (me I would get a mix of B's and A's if I applied myself.) If you are good with hands-on stuff, schools like DeVry are up your alley. It's just not for everyone like any school.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:51 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,539,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Correct. How 'bout another story?

At the graduate school where I got my Masters, the salaries are all public. A woman who works there in a relatively pedestrian computing capacity earns slightly more after less than 8 years of service than at least one of the assistant professors there who got their pHd at an Ivy League University. She got her computer technical thingy degree at a DeVry equivalent. They are approximately the same age. Some of the associate professors who have been there a LONG time don't make that much more than her.

Of course, the professor will eventually surpass her. But it won't be by a significant amount for a while. And the computer tech has a MUCH easier and less stressful job.

Fair?

No. That's why I always argue that computer professionals are overpaid.

But it's also why you can get a degree from DeVry and snicker behind the back of someone who majored in History at Brown University, dropping 130K in the process.
There is also someone who went to Harvard who is a janitor probably. One would not be smart to make any conclusions based on that.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:14 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,148,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
There is also someone who went to Harvard who is a janitor probably. One would not be smart to make any conclusions based on that.
That wasn't my point.

My point was that DeVry grads, or grads of other even lesser known Tech schools where they teach you computers, can do very well for themselves.

I have much real life evidence of this.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
That wasn't my point.

My point was that DeVry grads, or grads of other even lesser known Tech schools where they teach you computers, can do very well for themselves.

I have much real life evidence of this.
I agree that since they focus on a specific topic it seems like a better option of the for-profits but the one compare to an Ivy grad is not really helpful.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:59 AM

2 posts, read 4,658 times
@Warren Zee

I don't work for DeVry. I am a graduate of DeVry and had a great experience and DeVry doesn't have a bad reputation in Ohio, in fact it has a great reputation for its technical programs. As for cost, there are plenty of non-profit schools out there that cost just as much or even more than going to DeVry. DeVry was a great choice for me with its non-traditional delivery that allows working students to still attend school on a full time basis which very few traditional colleges can offer. While I did not work while attending, I wanted to be able to work and continue full time at school if the opportunity arose. I could not do that at any of the traditional colleges in my area.

BTW... like the DeVry commercial says... I did get a job within my career within six-months of graduation. The career services department at DeVry works very hard with students and employers to make that happen.

@L210

My cousin that I mentioned in my previous post started at WGU in March 2009 studying full time for his bachelors (he doesn't work and has no children). He still doesn't have it completed 4 years later and has to take and pass 3 CISCO and 2 Microsoft certifications before he can graduate with his bachelors. Meanwhile, I started on my bachelors at DeVry in March 2010 (after I tried WGU and did not care for it) also full time and not working and graduated last August. I continued to go for my Masters and had I gone full time, I would have been done with that already...(taking grad classes part time so I will graduate next June).

The point is, it is taking him much much longer because of the way WGU delivers its curriculum. In the IT world, if it takes you that long to learn something, an employer is not going to be interested because your learning curve is too great for the constant change in technology. The certs he will have are great and some employers place more importance on those than others but employers will say all a cert means is that you can pass a test. Some of the important qualities an employer in IT is looking for is someone who has a strong desire to learn and can learn quickly. This is measured by your GPA and the time it took you to go to school (only if going full time and not working). Trust me they will ask him why he had no employment history from 2008 to the time he graduates and his response can only be, well I was going to school full time. In their mind they are going to think...and it took you over 5 years to get a bachelor's degree full time when you already had an Associate Degree in engineering?

I am sure for some people WGU was a great choice, but clearly it is not if you have difficulty comprehending what you read and learning on your own.

Like I said, people need to do the research to find the school that best meets their needs. Oh, and people flunk out of non-profits all time as well. Flunking out has nothing to do with the cost of schooling or whether it is private or public or for profit or non profit. It's all about the student and the curriculum.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebGeek View Post
@Warren Zee

I don't work for DeVry. I am a graduate of DeVry and had a great experience and DeVry doesn't have a bad reputation in Ohio, in fact it has a great reputation for its technical programs. As for cost, there are plenty of non-profit schools out there that cost just as much or even more than going to DeVry. DeVry was a great choice for me with its non-traditional delivery that allows working students to still attend school on a full time basis which very few traditional colleges can offer. While I did not work while attending, I wanted to be able to work and continue full time at school if the opportunity arose. I could not do that at any of the traditional colleges in my area.

BTW... like the DeVry commercial says... I did get a job within my career within six-months of graduation. The career services department at DeVry works very hard with students and employers to make that happen.

@L210

My cousin that I mentioned in my previous post started at WGU in March 2009 studying full time for his bachelors (he doesn't work and has no children). He still doesn't have it completed 4 years later and has to take and pass 3 CISCO and 2 Microsoft certifications before he can graduate with his bachelors. Meanwhile, I started on my bachelors at DeVry in March 2010 (after I tried WGU and did not care for it) also full time and not working and graduated last August. I continued to go for my Masters and had I gone full time, I would have been done with that already...(taking grad classes part time so I will graduate next June).

The point is, it is taking him much much longer because of the way WGU delivers its curriculum. In the IT world, if it takes you that long to learn something, an employer is not going to be interested because your learning curve is too great for the constant change in technology. The certs he will have are great and some employers place more importance on those than others but employers will say all a cert means is that you can pass a test. Some of the important qualities an employer in IT is looking for is someone who has a strong desire to learn and can learn quickly. This is measured by your GPA and the time it took you to go to school (only if going full time and not working). Trust me they will ask him why he had no employment history from 2008 to the time he graduates and his response can only be, well I was going to school full time. In their mind they are going to think...and it took you over 5 years to get a bachelor's degree full time when you already had an Associate Degree in engineering?

I am sure for some people WGU was a great choice, but clearly it is not if you have difficulty comprehending what you read and learning on your own.

Like I said, people need to do the research to find the school that best meets their needs. Oh, and people flunk out of non-profits all time as well. Flunking out has nothing to do with the cost of schooling or whether it is private or public or for profit or non profit. It's all about the student and the curriculum.
Well the students at for-profits have lower academic abilities which means kids flunk out of for-profits more.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:54 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,921,435 times
i was thinking about going to devry at one point, once i finished my associates at a community college buto nce they told me how much id owe and need to start from scratch, i was all "eh not sure if i want to go 60k in debt to you"

luckily i had the only college i applied to accept me and i will begin my fall semester tomorrow. i had a rep keep calling me to go to devry and i tried to be polite and declining him and saying i was going else where. by the end i simply said no and no. i got into a real university thank you and i no longer want any information from your school. i wont even be in the same state.goodbye!"

Old 08-25-2013, 10:54 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,506,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebGeek View Post

@L210

WGU tells you that the school is for self-directed learners. I think the average time for completion of a bachelor's degree there is 2.5 to 3.5 years. People are finishing master's degree programs in 6 months to a year. The school is not for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities