Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 09:41 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,527,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
WGU tells you that the school is for self-directed learners. I think the average time for completion of a bachelor's degree there is 2.5 to 3.5 years. People are finishing master's degree programs in 6 months to a year. The school is not for everyone.
Six months? Yikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 08:41 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,484,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Six months? Yikes.
Their MBA program requires a lot of writing (I call it busy work, but that's a different topic). One woman claimed she wrote 1,000 pages before she finished, but some people are able to complete the assignments quickly because they have prior experience in business. They aren't slowed by the constraints of semester schedules. For those without business backgrounds, they usually take a year or longer.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:03 PM

1 posts, read 790 times
Default true

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post
One of the main issues with Devry and other for-profit schools (Actually, any school) is that some of the students are going into the program to learn the tools to launch a career, if you are already established - we will use IT as an example, then it would not matter as much where you obtained your degree.

I was already in IT long before I earned my Bachelors, so finding a job was not an issue, but for people who have zero experience, going to school - well...going into major debt because of school, is the wrong way to go about launching a career. At the very best, in most instances, you will be able to start at an entry level position, if you can find something, and those skills can be learned without college. It's the same issue for people who are going for a Masters degree because they can't find a job with a Bachelors, they increase their debt, but still have no practical experience to find a job.

Since the loans have to be paid back, you should really eliminate any distractions, increase your effort, and graduate. Of course the next step is to find a job ASAP (I know, easier said than done)...make sure that you minimize your expenses if you are worried about paying back your student loans, don't buy an expensive car, don't eat out, don't buy the expensive smart phone with the high data plan...cut costs, look for work, and ALWAYS pay your student loans on time.

I know the feeling...I went to devry knowing nothing , was blind-folded ,majored in comm management and all I got are help desk support jobs that only require high school diplomas. I agree, the school is not for everyone and if you have the prior experience before attending devry, then its worth it.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:10 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,855,821 times
Devry is a joke, many universities won't accept credits from them and the same goes for many employers. I try to warn guys from wasting their GI Bill on them all the time.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:17 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,906,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
If you can transfer out, and a normal college will take any of DeVry's credits, do that. NOW.

I had my own business for 20 years and occasionally received resumes that listed DeVry as the alma mater. Honestly, I'd give preference to a person with NO DEGREE and 2 years at a non-proprietary college. Any college.

Look at your local communities and even low ranking state or small competitive or less competitive privates. I have yet to understand why anyone would choose a "college of ill repute" because that's what they are.
While I understand your skepticism regarding such colleges as DeVry, why would you give preference to a person who didn't finish their degree at, say, a state school over someone who completed their degree at DeVry?

That simply doesn't make sense to me.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:47 PM

715 posts, read 1,074,755 times
I graduated from DeVry back in the mid-90's. I was an EET (Electronics Engineering Technology) major. Of the people I knew, not just in my class, but before and after, who graduated with high GPA's, they were all picked up by large corporations: Motorola, IBM, Lucent, AT&T, HP, and Siemens are a few I recall. I was also picked up by one of these.

Of the circle I hung out with, no one chose DeVry because we couldn't get into a better school or couldn't string together cohesive sentences. There were a multitude of reasons, but not that one.

I don't sing DeVry's praises and I don't defend them today though. I understand how many of their curriculums are not viewed favorably and are downright useless compared to other schools. I also know of the horror stories of how DeVry can really mess up a person's financial aid and/or GI benefits. Given today's market, I would tell someone to go anywhere else, but DeVry.

However, I will say that I still see many working professionals going to Keller (graduate counterpart) to get their Master's or MBA. These are people who have years of experience under their belt already and are looking to check off a box as they look towards management or the next step in their career. They sing the school's praises and have no complaints whatsoever. None have complained about issues related to a degree from the school. It's like the undergraduate program and the graduate school are viewed totally different, but I'm sure work experience is a big factor when graduate school comes into the picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities