Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 12:26 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times

Advertisements

For law school I don't think it really matters at all. LSAT is what really matters everything else is just meh. I seriously doubt there would be a case of everything being equal ever though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 07:32 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
For law school I don't think it really matters at all. LSAT is what really matters everything else is just meh. I seriously doubt there would be a case of everything being equal ever though.
Was LSAT ever on an 800 scale? I've never understood that numerical system and the scores seem closely bunched together.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:29 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Was LSAT ever on an 800 scale? I've never understood that numerical system and the scores seem closely bunched together.
No the LSAT is on a 120-180 scale. It is precisely calibrated after each examination to be a scaled score.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:27 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,837 times
Up until the late 1990s, Boalt Hall (the law school at UC Berkeley) had an explicit procedure to adjust applicants' GPAs for the purpose of admission. Accordingly, the GPA of an applicant from, say, Harvard, was increased, whereas the GPA of an applicant from, say, NC Central was decreased. The faculty threw this out circa 1997, because they couldn't fudge the other factors relevant to admissions enough to meet the school's quota for minority students.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:20 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I think it most certainly matters for a couple of reasons:

1. Undergraduate is preparing you for graduate level education. You want a solid foundation. Better schools attract better faculty than can give you that solid foundation.

2. We learn from the people around us. You want to have the opportunity to learn from a group of higher quality students.

3. If you're going to graduate school for an academic degree, you want to start out at a school that has a lot of interesting research projects going on. This gives you an opportunity to explore different areas so you get an idea of what is out there. William Patt doesn't have as much going on as UCSD.

There's other criteria that comes into play. That's just touching some of it.
But it really doesn't matter a ton in most fields of graduate study, as long as you went somewhere "good enough" and made the most of your resources. That's why we have standardized tests to supplement undergraduate GPAs. A law school applicant with a 3.9 from Penn State certainly won't look as good as someone with an equivalent GPA from Penn, but throw in the Penn Stater's 170 LSAT in comparison to the Penn kid's 165, and your preferred choice in candidate becomes obvious.

People talk about "all things being equal" but that's an incredibly rare occurrence. Outside the uber-elite HYPS, which can give you a small though definitely noticeable boost, your other credentials are what matter first and foremost.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
No the LSAT is on a 120-180 scale. It is precisely calibrated after each examination to be a scaled score.
The LSAT did use to be on an 800 scale, and I believe was on some wacky double digit scale before that.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:31 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Default yes-

Quote:
It has been scored that way since early 90's.

Not like the SAT, where 650-700 is the upper range.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
It has been scored that way since early 90's.

Not like the SAT, where 650-700 is the upper range.
Take off the 1, add a 0, and you have The equivalent score of an individual SAT section.

It's worth noting though that the LSAT has a lower "ceiling" (IE, it's a lot less common to score a perfect SAT section than a perfect LSAT).

Old 12-17-2012, 01:54 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
The LSAT did use to be on an 800 scale, and I believe was on some wacky double digit scale before that.
You are making me feel old. When I took it, the score was up to 45 (or was it 35?). With a 44, you were pretty much guaranteed admission anywhere except Stanford as long as your UG GPA was decent. However I believe they have always (since the advent of computers) adjusted GPAs based on school. Even with a phenominal LSAT, if your adjusted GPA does not make the minimum cut off and you are white/male, you will not be considered. Some schools give you a score based on some combination of points form LSAT and adjusted GPA. Miss the minimum score and not minority and you are done. Your application will not even make it out of the computer system at many schools.

It can be intimidating. I got in based on my LSAT score. I had a 3.6 GPA from a decent, but not great school. In my entire law school expereince I never met anyone who did not have a 4.0 in college. Sometimes I wondered if I belonged there.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:10 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
So what are good LSAT scores .... is 165 or 170 good enough for a great school ... or does one need a 175?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities