Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 08:18 AM

455 posts, read 1,399,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The book I have from 2010 specifically uses the word "tier". In fact, in your link, Q#9 refers to tiers, e.g.

9. What are tiers, and why are some schools listed in tiers and not numerically ranked? U.S. News publishes the numbered rankings of approximately the top 75 percent of schools in each of the categories. The remaining schools are placed in the bottom, or Second Tier, based on their overall score in their category, and listed alphabetically.

So it does seem that they have changed "tier 3" to "tier 2". Mea Culpa!
U.S. News stopped using the Tier system for the 2011 rankings. Not sure why but now if its ranked its Tier 1. Not ranked is Tier 2 no such thing as Tier 3. I suppose it is more fair if you think about using cats over Tiers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 08:22 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,867,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisc83 View Post
U.S. News stopped using the Tier system for the 2011 rankings. Not sure why but now if its ranked its Tier 1. Not ranked is Tier 2 no such thing as Tier 3. I suppose it is more fair if you think about using cats over Tiers.
So why do they use the word "tier" in your link?

Old 12-30-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
So why do they use the word "tier" in your link?
It's not used the same way they used tiers in the past. They make no reference to tiers for rankings now. Just a number rank for that category. If it is ranked by a number it is considered Tier 1. Which is the only real Tier since Tier 2 is unranked schools. Just go to the U.S. News Rankings website and look around. Also 2010 is about 3 years ago ranking wise so you might want to start using the current system.

Category's now not Tiers
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...leges/rankings

Old 12-30-2012, 08:32 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,867,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisc83 View Post
It's not used the same way they used tiers in the past. They make no reference to tiers for rankings now. Just a number rank for that category. If it is ranked by a number it is considered Tier 1. Which is the only real Tier since Tier 2 is unranked schools. Just go to the U.S. News Rankings website and look around. Also 2010 is about 3 years ago ranking wise so you might want to start using the current system.
The rankings I posted are from the 2013 list. I checked. I was originally using the word tier in a different sense, like "level" or something. It was a poor word choice.

Wittenburg remains in Ohio nevertheless.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
The rankings I posted are from the 2013 list. I checked. I was originally using the word tier in a different sense, like "level" or something. It was a poor word choice.

Wittenburg remains in Ohio nevertheless.
I think the cat system works better anyway. Wittenburg might be a awesome regional school so is it fair to rank it against heavy hitters on a national level or have some complex tier system that makes rankings confusing. Just makes everything simple and it flows better.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:48 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,525,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Muhlenberg is a not-too-shabby Lutheran liberal arts college in Allentown. Though I wouldn't recommend anyone pay the hefty sticker price, it could be worth applying to in the hope of receiving some kind of merit scholarship.

That said, the school is 30+% Jewish, and heavily draws its student body from the lower half of the BosWash megalopolis, making it feel a lot different from most other notable Lutheran schools. But despite the seemingly incongruous demographics, it's still very committed to its Lutheran roots and may be a good opportunity for your daughter to get the education she desires while still being exposed to a number of different social perspectives.

Muhlenberg is a solid school. We are originally from L.I. and many people from that area are include MU in their list of schools.

She would be very comfortable with those demographics.

What is of concern when it comes to some of the deep mid-West Lutheran schools is a lack of diversity. My daughter is Asian and a North Easterner. We are politically liberal.
ELCA is a liberal denomination, but that means there are quite a few ultra conservative members who are welcomed because ...well, we are liberal.

Just as our congregations vary, so do our colleges.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYO View Post
I think Kent State would be a great fit. It's hard to believe, but their fashion programs are renowned and attract students from across the country. Plus it's close to home and public. With her grades, she could probably get a scholarship and go there for next to nothing.

My sister goes to Kent and I spend a good amount of time there. It's a nice college town with a liberal, diverse student body. I know people who graduated from their fashion programs and now have great jobs in NYC. They are good at helping students find internships and since the program is so respected, there's a great alumni base for networking.

YO, didn't ignore your post at all. She is looking at several Ohio state schools, and Kent is one of them. I am once again surprised by how many have very decent fashion programs including study abroad and, in one case, a year at FIT and a semester abroad!

I am so impressed with Ohio's state school system.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:57 AM

Could someone rank the top 20 Lutheran Colleges?

Old 12-31-2012, 09:38 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,342,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Based on what?

Old 12-31-2012, 11:23 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,434,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Don't think there's a ranking listed but if you haven't, but am guessing/hoping you have, check out lutherancolleges.org | A Group of Colleges that Has Faith in Your Future. Information on all of them is available there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities