Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 03:23 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times

Advertisements

Agree with golfgal, Rank them how? What is important to your daughter? I think rankings are silly if they are rating things that don't matter to the student like sports or certain programs. When my last son was college shopping he realized that the program was the most important thing to him, but there were other priorities too. How the schools ranked was inconsequential. Many colleges are recognized regionally and if the student is planning to stay in that area, that's fine.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 04:12 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Of the ranked national liberal arts colleges, here are the Lutheran colleges in order of US News ranking, with the caveat that US News is not the Gospel:

Gettysburg
St. Olaf
Muhlenburg
Bucknell
Gustavus Adolphus
Augustana, Rock Island, IL
Luther
Wittenburg
Susquehanna
Concordia-Moorehead
Roanoke
Wartburg
Wisconsin Lutheran

My apologies if I missed any. You have to know some of them are Lutheran; it's hard to tell from their names.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:59 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Bucknell originated as a Baptist seminary but now appears to be nondenominational as opposed to being Lutheran.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:07 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,847,696 times
The only thing I know about Wittenberg aside from attending several parties there during my collegiate years is that my buddy had a class there with Bruce Willis' niece haha.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Bucknell originated as a Baptist seminary but now appears to be nondenominational as opposed to being Lutheran.
My error!

Old 01-01-2013, 05:39 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Of the ranked national liberal arts colleges, here are the Lutheran colleges in order of US News ranking, with the caveat that US News is not the Gospel:

Gettysburg
St. Olaf
Muhlenburg
Bucknell
Gustavus Adolphus
Augustana, Rock Island, IL
Luther
Wittenburg
Susquehanna
Concordia-Moorehead
Roanoke
Wartburg
Wisconsin Lutheran

My apologies if I missed any. You have to know some of them are Lutheran; it's hard to tell from their names.
So, Wisconsin Lutheran makes the list, yet Augustana in Sioux Falls has higher average test scores and GPA averages Wisconsin Lutheran, Wartburg, Roanoke, Condordia. See the problem here....rankings based on what? If you look at the college boards they all say that the caliber of student admitted is really what makes the school better. USNWR goes almost exclusively on acceptance rates. It only makes sense that schools like Harvard are going to get raked higher because they get more applicants.

The fact of the matter is, all of these are great schools. It doesn't matter what the parchment says as much as it does what you did to earn that piece of paper. Most of these, and other, liberal arts colleges have higher acceptance rates in to grad school, med school, law school, etc. then the Ivys and so called "top 20" schools. St. Ben's in MN has the second highest rate of students passing the CPA exam on the first try nationally, second behind Harvard but in front of all the rest. Why wouldn't you consider a school like that if you wanted to become a CPA?

Old 01-01-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
So, Wisconsin Lutheran makes the list, yet Augustana in Sioux Falls has higher average test scores and GPA averages Wisconsin Lutheran, Wartburg, Roanoke, Condordia. See the problem here....rankings based on what? If you look at the college boards they all say that the caliber of student admitted is really what makes the school better. USNWR goes almost exclusively on acceptance rates. It only makes sense that schools like Harvard are going to get raked higher because they get more applicants.

The fact of the matter is, all of these are great schools. It doesn't matter what the parchment says as much as it does what you did to earn that piece of paper. Most of these, and other, liberal arts colleges have higher acceptance rates in to grad school, med school, law school, etc. then the Ivys and so called "top 20" schools. St. Ben's in MN has the second highest rate of students passing the CPA exam on the first try nationally, second behind Harvard but in front of all the rest. Why wouldn't you consider a school like that if you wanted to become a CPA?
Is Augustana in Sioux Falls your alma mater or something? I said the US News rankings are not the Gospel. However, acceptance rates are not their only criteria. Augustana, Sioux Falls is regionally ranked #3 in the midwest.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:44 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Is Augustana in Sioux Falls your alma mater or something? I said the US News rankings are not the Gospel. However, acceptance rates are not their only criteria. Augustana, Sioux Falls is regionally ranked #3 in the midwest.
No, just pointing out how pointless these so called rankings are....

Old 01-02-2013, 08:31 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Muhlenberg is very popular for Jewish people from North Jersey and NYC. That's not meant to be a bad thing, but while it started as a Lutheran College, it's pretty much non-denominational now. Pa. Lutheran college hot among Jewish students - USATODAY.com

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:58 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Agree with golfgal, Rank them how? What is important to your daughter? I think rankings are silly if they are rating things that don't matter to the student like sports or certain programs. When my last son was college shopping he realized that the program was the most important thing to him, but there were other priorities too. How the schools ranked was inconsequential. Many colleges are recognized regionally and if the student is planning to stay in that area, that's fine.
I guess in the way that Katiana ranked them. In terms of how competitive they are. My daughter is concerned with that.

To some people the name on their sheepskin matters a lot, to others,; not so much.

I guess that's why there is a skicky that reads "Is this a good college?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities