Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 07:42 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,480,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by futureincumbent View Post
Out of these majors: Accounting, International Business (by itself or with Chinese as a second major or minor), Dietetics, Nursing, Philosophy, or Real Estate, what would you guys choose? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I wouldn't pick:
Philosophy
Real Estate
Dietetics

I would pick:
Accounting
Int'l Business
Nursing

Of those, International Business would be the best choice, I think. If you can already speak another language fluently, I would definitely choose it. If you can't - I think it might be overwhelming. I know several people who failed miserably at learning Chinese and Japanese. Accounting is pretty standard; accountants aren't going to go away anytime soon, and neither are nurses. Neither are something I would have done, but both are smart careers to enter.

To be successful in Real Estate, it helps to already have a lot of money. It's a good field to go into, but I question whether it would be the best thing to major in. A few of my buddies (who graduated within the past 2-3 years) became real estate agents, and not one of them has a degree in Real Estate. I enjoy "casual" or "personal" philosophy, but I found academic philosophy to be mind-numbing. It's a good major for law school, but law schools aren't all that picky about majors. You're on your own with dietetics - I don't know anything a/b that.

I majored in something technical, with the intent of "finding a job." Other people go with the "do what you love" route. It took me about 2 majors and 3 years to figure it out, but I managed to strike a balance between the two. That's my advice, good luck.

Last edited by anonymous; 10-29-2007 at 07:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 10:48 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,348,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi_Girl View Post
...... I'm going for IT but hope to get into the medical field because of the options.
Health Information Management/Technology will be booming with the advent of Electronic Medical Records. Google: AHIMA

Old 10-29-2007, 11:09 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,405,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureincumbent View Post
Out of these majors: Accounting, International Business (by itself or with Chinese as a second major or minor), Dietetics, Nursing, Philosophy, or Real Estate, what would you guys choose? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You have to figure out what you enjoy doing. I would scratch Philosophy off the list. I don't what you would do with that degree unless you planned for a future in academics. Nursing and Accounting are totally different fields. Have you done any volunteer work in a hospital to know what it's like? Do you prefer crunching numbers or giving sponge baths to old people?

Greenie

Old 10-29-2007, 12:35 PM

563 posts, read 2,774,950 times
Visit the Career Services office and take one of the many tests they offer that will help you determine what you like and what career path would be best for you. From there, select a major.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:56 PM

22 posts, read 148,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
You have to figure out what you enjoy doing. I would scratch Philosophy off the list. I don't what you would do with that degree unless you planned for a future in academics. Nursing and Accounting are totally different fields. Have you done any volunteer work in a hospital to know what it's like? Do you prefer crunching numbers or giving sponge baths to old people?

Greenie
I've shadowed nurses one time for school...I got to see two nurses and spend some time in ER. It really left me with mixed reactions. I really felt I couldn't do ER all day, it wasn't my thing.

The one nurse had a job I wouldn't mind, she was doing routine checks to patients...blood pressure, etc, and some paperwork. The other nurse was in a nursing home, and I hated every second of it. I couldn't see myself doing that, in a smelly environment, and a lot of the residents were yelling at the nurses, cursing at them for no reason, etc.

Crunching numbers doesn't sound as bad but then again, I don't know how having an office job would be. I've also heard the hours are pretty rough. If I went the accounting route, I'd hope to go into investment banking down the road (find a company that would pay for my MBA).

Old 10-29-2007, 01:08 PM

22 posts, read 148,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoveDiva View Post
Visit the Career Services office and take one of the many tests they offer that will help you determine what you like and what career path would be best for you. From there, select a major.
I've taken a number of self-assessment tests such as the MBTI, CEI, and others offered in class. However, it really doesn't help me...for example on the CEI, I scored equally high for Arts and Communication and Hospitality, Tourism, and Recreation. Moreover, the occupations associated with them don't really strike me...

And for the MBTI, I scored for ENFP, and as such, the top field was Personal Care and Service. Most of the occupations under it don't even require a college degree. ie. hairdresser, personal trainer, child care provider. Acting is one there, and I'm sure I'd love to be the next Brad Pitt as the next guy, there's really an overcrowding in that field, and most actors make less than $20k.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:42 PM

987 posts, read 3,820,892 times
I would pick philosophy, but make sure you go to a school that has a strong history in analytic philosophy. None of this postmodern deconstruction literary philosophy stuff. Try UCLA for example, and study logic, set theory, philsophy of mathematics, and some computer classes like combinatorial algorithms or game theory. What you get is a solid foundation in logic. That'll serve you well in the years to come.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:41 PM

474 posts, read 2,540,105 times
Default My Philosophy

"IF everyone is going in one direction, than I do a tangent into another direction". That is my philosophy and it should be yours, too.

The idea is to avoid a pile up at 'X' company or employment because 'you' have the same degree as everyone else. All of the above thread answers are good for the questions that you asked. But also, everyone is headed in the same direction that you ar. And with severe college grad competition, some are going to get into a given company and some won't.

So decide on a vocation that is mandated by everyone. And so here is my suggestion as a tangent. Why not become a funeral director or a grave stone engraver? Now I am serious about this and I am not joking. Have you seen the prices lately on a nice casket? I've seen them for $6,000 in Costco.

IF you learn how to be a head stone engraver and then start your own company - - you will have a life time employment. Once again, I am serious about this and not trying to make a joke. So if you have no interest, then maybe someone else might consider such a vocation?

Carter Glass

Old 10-29-2007, 05:06 PM

474 posts, read 2,540,105 times
Default A Follow Up As A Head Stone Engraver

Now suppose from my previous post/ thread you have decided to become a headstone engraver. So how do you prepare?

First off, get an associate degree from a community college in science and math. That's in case your future boss should ask you to construct a sechord off of your 'tangent'. (I am just joking with the tangent comment.

Then find an established engraver around your town for an interview.

Your purpose after the two year college degree graduation is to become an engraver apprentice.

As a suggestion, be honest with the owner. "Sir, I would like to be an engraver apprentice. To do so, I am willing to work for minimum remuneration (or even less). And sir, my goal is to eventually start my own engraving business but with no competition to you. So therefore, I am willing to start my business in Tombstone, Arizona". (You choose your own town.)."

If the business owner you are quering does not have a name like Jones & Sons, it probably indicts that you would not directly compete with his own sons and vie for the apprentice position.

So as my serious suggestion - - go after it - - if you have that kind of interest. What is 'that kind of interest'? Well, obviously employment for a"life" time.

Carter Glass
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities