Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2014, 11:30 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,429,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I guess some states are more "territorial" than others.

The reason for posting my thought was that someone said that overpaying for a UG isn't important. Statistically speaking, a state subsidized program is a massive savings for graduate degrees like a MD or dentist. Hence, a global statement wasn't true in states like MN. In fact, it's advantageous to stay in MN or WI or IA and go to their top state school versus an Ivy if you want the best priced med school (and going back to your home state like IA, MN, or WI). Obviously this isn't the case in CO.

To show that there isn't a global rule, my DS will have a competitive advantage for getting into med school because he is out of state and at a service academy not so far away from you. It's very smart to due your homework ahead of time. I went to the source (UofMN dental school) and was surprised to learn the inside and unpublished scoop. Tuition cost isn't a factor for my DS because it's "free".
Do kids that maintain their home residence have a preference though too? Of those she listed, how many are MN students vs graduates of MN colleges==the out of state schools--how many are MN kids to start--graduated from a MN high school?

Looking at costs--the least expensive place for an out of state dental kid looks like it's Mississippi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 02:07 PM

9,835 posts, read 11,242,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Do kids that maintain their home residence have a preference though too? Of those she listed, how many are MN students vs graduates of MN colleges==the out of state schools--how many are MN kids to start--graduated from a MN high school?

Looking at costs--the least expensive place for an out of state dental kid looks like it's Mississippi
I think they do have a preference. The flagship state school pulls their unfairshare. That was a 2009 conversation so I would be guessing. But I she told me anything that I wanted to know.

As a side note, the UofMN dental school as well as their vet school is famous for declining a student the 1st year. I assume that happens at other spots as well. My DD got shot down from the UofMN so she went out of state (OUCH!). A fellow student with less experience who got turned down to every dental college last year yet THIS YEAR she got in at three spots. She chose the UofMN (costs).

Out of state dental school is a massive expense. But my daughter wasn't a fan of the UofMN. We are paying $75K year now. Did I say "OUCH"! Over $92K with living expenses. I forked over the whole amount this year and it hurts like H_ll!

Old 03-12-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
I think they do have a preference. The flagship state school pulls their unfairshare. That was a 2009 conversation so I would be guessing. But I she told me anything that I wanted to know.

As a side note, the UofMN dental school as well as their vet school is famous for declining a student the 1st year. I assume that happens at other spots as well. My DD got shot down from the UofMN so she went out of state (OUCH!). A fellow student with less experience who got turned down to every dental college last year yet THIS YEAR she got in at three spots. She chose the UofMN (costs).

Out of state dental school is a massive expense. But my daughter wasn't a fan of the UofMN. We are paying $75K year now. Did I say "OUCH"! Over $92K with living expenses. I forked over the whole amount this year and it hurts like H_ll!
Nice she has you to cover those costs...we will help some, maybe with living expenses, but the rest is on her .

Old 03-12-2014, 05:46 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,027,789 times
Quote:

That seems to be an urban legend. I've heard it about many colleges, in many health professions. I can see no reason why a student would not be acceptable one year, and acceptable the next. They say that about physical therapy school too, but most of my daughter's friends got in the first year they tried, some to multiple schools.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That seems to be an urban legend. I've heard it about many colleges, in many health professions. I can see no reason why a student would not be acceptable one year, and acceptable the next. They say that about physical therapy school too, but most of my daughter's friends got in the first year they tried, some to multiple schools.
Many students that get rejected the first year spend that next year beefing up their application so it make perfect sense that they get accepted the next year...

I've never heard about that happening in PT school though....

Old 03-12-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Many students that get rejected the first year spend that next year beefing up their application so it make perfect sense that they get accepted the next year...

I've never heard about that happening in PT school though....
Well, you obviously haven't had a kid applying to PT school then.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Well, you obviously haven't had a kid applying to PT school then.
No, just a lot of friends that are PT's already...

Old 03-12-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
No, just a lot of friends that are PT's already...
So are my daughter and her friends, now. If your friends are middle-aged or older, say over 40, it's changed a lot since they went to school. A doctorate is now the degree required for entry into the profession.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
So are my daughter and her friends, now. If your friends are middle-aged or older, say over 40, it's changed a lot since they went to school. A doctorate is now the degree required for entry into the profession.
whatever.....

Old 03-12-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
whatever.....
Whatever, indeed!

From the professional PT association:

All PT education programs have transitioned to the DPT degree, except one. Both degrees currently prepare students to be eligible for the PT license examination in all 50 states. To maintain or be granted accreditation, programs will be required to award the DPT degree by 2015 and will have until 2017 to come into compliance with this decision.
Physical Therapist (PT) Education Overview
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities