Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 01:22 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,051,605 times

Advertisements

You could try to get on board with a lobbyist company or politician. I can't see any other direction for your women's rights, workplace fairness, etc platform other than law school. And the posters are right, you will not get into a decent law school with your GPA. On the other hand, you aren't going to find a high paying lawfirm (which you will need to support your huge student loan payments) and do the kind of work you want to do - you will need to go into the public sector after law school, which does have debt forgiveness plans. Those jobs are hugely competitive nowawadays even though the pay is low because it is often a jumping off point for people -- they are also able to draw from the top law firms. I would NOT suggest going to law school right away. You need to figure out your life. Waiting and doing something productive is totally OK with law schools - even desirable. But you are going to need to show how productive and driven you have been after college -- that is very important to law schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 01:35 PM

778 posts, read 823,729 times
Yeah, I would focus on non-profits that interest you and see what's out there. Try looking into Planned Parenthood, maybe, and go from there?

You can work for a bit and then attend grad school. Some work experience might boost your application.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:43 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
I don't know how often this is done to get into law school, but I know many medical school applicants overcome low GPAs by getting a masters degree first. This website from 2009 will calculate your chances of getting into law schools based on past applicants. I plugged in 170 for the LSAT score, 2.8 for your GPA, and chose "no wait lists." Six people (100%) with those numbers got into Northwestern. 20% of the people with those numbers got into University of Virginia.
Law School Probability Calculator

Old 05-02-2014, 02:01 PM

315 posts, read 564,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret92 View Post
Hello,

I need your help. Im a senior in college majoring in psychology. Long story short, i dont enjoy my major i chose it without thinking bout the long term, and in a rush and im miserable. When i realized the mess i was in it was too late to change it. (Im currently 2 classes away from graduating) i need help in putting it all together and figuring out what to do after i graduate.

I have recently developed this interest in women's reproductive rights and fighting for equality and workplace fairness. I just dont know what else to do besides law with this
Interest any suggestions?

I also have various interests idk if thats a good thing or a bad thing i feel all over the place. I took an accounting class before and liked it very much. I liked the problem solving concept of it. I also want to do some sort of event planning/marketing. Any suggestions in getting my life in order? Please help!
Or if anyone has had experience in these field what can you tell me
About them?

Thanks!
Wait, so are you asking whether you should finish your Psych degree or go for Accounting, Event Planning, etc in grad school? Or to get a new Bachelor's degree idea? Sorry, just a bit unclear to me.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:24 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,535,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I don't know how often this is done to get into law school, but I know many medical school applicants overcome low GPAs by getting a masters degree first. This website from 2009 will calculate your chances of getting into law schools based on past applicants. I plugged in 170 for the LSAT score, 2.8 for your GPA, and chose "no wait lists." Six people (100%) with those numbers got into Northwestern. 20% of the people with those numbers got into University of Virginia.
Law School Probability Calculator
What other factors were there in those candidates admission profiles?

Old 05-02-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
What other factors were there in those candidates admission profiles?
The predictor gives you the option of choosing URM (underrepresented minority). I did not select that option.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:28 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,535,936 times
Quote:
The predictor gives you the option of choosing URM (underrepresented minority). I did not select that option.
Got it, thanks, that is a pretty neat little tool to play with.

Old 05-02-2014, 05:09 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Quote:
There are many other factors that are also taken into consideration that are not represented by the URM, GPA or LSAT.

Old 05-02-2014, 06:34 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
What work experience do you have? Internships, extracurriculars?

If you want to work in activism and nonprofits, you don't need a master's degree straight out the gate but you SHOULD have internship experience and a demonstrated commitment to the cause. If you're interested in reproductive rights, you should have served on the e-board of NARAL or a similar org on campus, have interned at Planned Parenthood, volunteered for a domestic violence hotline etc. There are a wide range of roles in a nonprofit setting - marketing, organizing, budget, digital content management (website, social media), customer service, and administrative. Don't be afraid to take a glorified secretary role - many people in nonprofits (myself included) have grown from there. Leadership in nonprofits often have MBAs, a related masters, or a professional degree in a related field (i.e. an exec at the American Cancer Society might have an MPH).

Event planning is another field that does not require a master's but DOES require work experience. Having sat on a hiring committee for an entry level event planning role before, I can say that we expected the candidate to have been very involved with either Student Events/Activities, concert planning, homecoming, or reunion at their undergraduate institution. In addition, they liked had an event planning internship or had worked in hospitality in some regard.

Psychology is a great liberal arts degree but there are little to no direct career prospects at the bachelor's level. That's ok! Working in an environment that you seem to be attracted to based on your career interests, I'll say that most of my colleagues have similar general liberal arts degrees. They learned how to speak, write, organize information, and think critically in college but developed work skills through internships. You need to learn how to leverage your experiences. If you don't have experience, get some quickly!

Old 05-02-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
There are many other factors that are also taken into consideration that are not represented by the URM, GPA or LSAT.
Exactly. That's why you shouldn't tell someone he or she has no chance with a 2.8 GPA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities