Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 10:33 PM

13 posts, read 20,596 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I need your help. Im a senior in college majoring in psychology. Long story short, i dont enjoy my major i chose it without thinking bout the long term, and in a rush and im miserable. When i realized the mess i was in it was too late to change it. (Im currently 2 classes away from graduating) i need help in putting it all together and figuring out what to do after i graduate.

I have recently developed this interest in women's reproductive rights and fighting for equality and workplace fairness. I just dont know what else to do besides law with this
Interest any suggestions?

I also have various interests idk if thats a good thing or a bad thing i feel all over the place. I took an accounting class before and liked it very much. I liked the problem solving concept of it. I also want to do some sort of event planning/marketing. Any suggestions in getting my life in order? Please help!
Or if anyone has had experience in these field what can you tell me
About them?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 10:42 PM

778 posts, read 823,729 times
How open are you to going to grad school? How do you feel about your chances for getting into grad school?

Old 05-01-2014, 10:45 PM

13 posts, read 20,596 times
Im open to grad school. Im
Actually looking at programs but i am undecided. My gpa is on the low side tho, 2.8 i know i
Need at least a 3.0 for grad school

Old 05-02-2014, 07:30 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,496,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret92 View Post
Im open to grad school. Im
Actually looking at programs but i am undecided. My gpa is on the low side tho, 2.8 i know i
Need at least a 3.0 for grad school
It sounds like the panic is setting in with graduation right around the corner. Instead of more school, I would recommend getting some experience first in a job. Spend a few years in the workforce and then figure out where you want to go. Many companies will pick up at least part of your tab for grad school.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:32 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Perhaps you just need a job doing anything until you can figure out what you want to do--there is no sense in wasting more time and money. Perhaps a graduate degree in some kind of social services or an MPA with a non-profit concentration if you want to consider a job with women's resource centers, domestic violence shelters, victim advocacy, etc.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:36 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
One option would be to go to law school, but in general, only those graduating from T14 law schools are having an easy time finding work. Unless you can score exceptionally high on the LSAT, you aren't getting into a top law school with that GPA. In the meantime, you might be able to find work in a social services organization that deals with women's issues. A degree in psychology is actually desired for that type of work.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:01 AM

She'd have to kill the LSAT to be lucky enough to get into a top 100; a T14 is out of the question. If she does well, she can go 100K in debt to attend a tier 4 school.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:04 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,780,073 times
The fact that you're just now figuring out you don't like your major and you're picking from several bad choices doesn't sound like a promising career awaits you.

"women's reproductive rights and fighting for equality and workplace fairness." is not a career. Ironically, if you go this route, the only way you'll get by is by finding a husband to provide for you.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:44 AM

158 posts, read 256,519 times
OP, don't listen to any of these posters. I would suggest applying for law school or getting a few years of work experience at a non profit and go from there (grad school etc.).

Old 05-02-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitySide View Post
OP, don't listen to any of these posters. I would suggest applying for law school or getting a few years of work experience at a non profit and go from there (grad school etc.).
Why, exactly, would you suggest law school? Without a clear direction, what is the benefit of a tier 4 law school education and amassing 75K-100K in debt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities