Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 05:57 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,863,589 times

Advertisements

There’s something so confusing to me. Help me understand. So if you are lucky enough to get into UNC Chapel Hill, you are not guaranteed a spot in the school of your choosing. For example, if you dream to be a nurse, you do all the heavy lifting in HS and land a spot at UNC, but you can’t apply to the nursing school until you are a sophomore or junior. But they only accept a few kids to the program, which then at that point you need to change your life plan or leave the school. I keep hearing this time and time again. UNC has been a top choice for my kid since she was little but she isn’t applying because A, UNC doesn’t have an engineering school and B, she finds this to be super stressful and a scam. We know several people who have had to change their plans because they didn’t get to do what they dreamed to do. I’ve never heard of such a thing. Can someone who knows and understands this please help explain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2020, 06:21 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
How is it a 'scam' if they tell you upfront the way things are going to be?

Old 07-25-2020, 06:45 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,863,589 times
I don’t think it’s something they necessarily advertise. Currently, we know three people who have had to change their plans.

Old 07-25-2020, 06:49 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,102,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
There’s something so confusing to me. Help me understand. So if you are lucky enough to get into UNC Chapel Hill, you are not guaranteed a spot in the school of your choosing. For example, if you dream to be a nurse, you do all the heavy lifting in HS and land a spot at UNC, but you can’t apply to the nursing school until you are a sophomore or junior. But they only accept a few kids to the program, which then at that point you need to change your life plan or leave the school. I keep hearing this time and time again. UNC has been a top choice for my kid since she was little but she isn’t applying because A, UNC doesn’t have an engineering school and B, she finds this to be super stressful and a scam. We know several people who have had to change their plans because they didn’t get to do what they dreamed to do. I’ve never heard of such a thing. Can someone who knows and understands this please help explain?
Where I went to school (Univ California) they did something similar. But only the majors that were competitive were like that. For instance, nobody was pre-accepted to the Computer Science program. You had to 'earn' your way in. The reasoning is because there's only certain amount of spots and resources for that program.

I'm fairly certain that UNC, being a huge state school, works the same way.

If you fairly certain that you want to do nursing, then just go to another school. It's as simple as that.

If you're all caught up in the name/prestige game (basically, if you're naive...), well then just go that school and major in whatever.

Old 07-25-2020, 07:06 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,852,429 times
Quote:
I can't speak for other universities but this was EXACTLY how the University of Toledo handled Education and Pharmacy majors.

As an education major we did not take a single Edu course until fall of our Junior year. During our first two years we only took gen ed courses. You had to take a test called Praxis 1 (basically similar to the ACT) and in order to gain admittance into the College of Education you had to have over a 3.0 in your first 3 semesters AND get a passing score on the Praxis 1 test. Now the CoE did not have a max number of students they accepted, I did start school with a handful of kids who could not gain admittance into the CoE and either a.) changed majors or b.) transferred. Because most had already done X amount of Gen ed courses they just changed majors but those who were heck bent on becoming teachers transferred.

The College of Pharmacy at UT is pretty exactly as you described at UNC. You spent your first 4 semesters taking gen ed and a ton of chemistry courses. During the spring semester of your sophomore year you applied to the College of Pharm. You had to have over a 3.0 gpa, have scored a B or higher in O Chem 1 and O Chem 2 AND you still were not guaranteed a spot because they only took on 50 new pharm majors a year. Had a roommate who go into the pharm college, his gf at the time did not. She ended up transferring to Ohio Northern University (who did not have such requirements) and finished her PharmD degree there. Buddy of mine from high school could not get into the Pharm college after his sophomore year, stayed at UT, changed his major to pharm sciences, graduated and went to law school of all things haha.

Old 07-25-2020, 07:14 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,102,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
I can't speak for other universities but this was EXACTLY how the University of Toledo handled Education and Pharmacy majors.

As an education major we did not take a single Edu course until fall of our Junior year. During our first two years we only took gen ed courses. You had to take a test called Praxis 1 (basically similar to the ACT) and in order to gain admittance into the College of Education you had to have over a 3.0 in your first 3 semesters AND get a passing score on the Praxis 1 test. Now the CoE did not have a max number of students they accepted, I did start school with a handful of kids who could not gain admittance into the CoE and either a.) changed majors or b.) transferred. Because most had already done X amount of Gen ed courses they just changed majors but those who were heck bent on becoming teachers transferred.

The College of Pharmacy at UT is pretty exactly as you described at UNC. You spent your first 4 semesters taking gen ed and a ton of chemistry courses. During the spring semester of your sophomore year you applied to the College of Pharm. You had to have over a 3.0 gpa, have scored a B or higher in O Chem 1 and O Chem 2 AND you still were not guaranteed a spot because they only took on 50 new pharm majors a year. Had a roommate who go into the pharm college, his gf at the time did not. She ended up transferring to Ohio Northern University (who did not have such requirements) and finished her PharmD degree there. Buddy of mine from high school could not get into the Pharm college after his sophomore year, stayed at UT, changed his major to pharm sciences, graduated and went to law school of all things haha.
Exactly right. Most schools like that also let a certain number of high school students in after high school. Rutgers has a pre-pharmacy school that I was accepted to. And my sister's friend got into Northwestern MEDICAL SCHOOL out of high school, but I don't know if they still do that. But like you say, all they have to do is maintain a certain GPA.

Short rant warning...

I can't even tell you how silly it is to tell a 18-19 year old to choose a professional career when they ... don't have any experience making a living and don't have any experience with how corporate jobs, government jobs, and jobs overall work. No experience with being bossed around or bossing people around. Basically, they have zero life experience but are supposed to pick a career, which basically determines so much of how your life plays out ... and I don't mean salary and job security.

Like, some kid is going to decide at age 18 that he wants to be a pharmacist for the rest of his life? Wow, just wow. That is just bad societal structure...

Old 07-25-2020, 07:22 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
I don’t think it’s something they necessarily advertise. Currently, we know three people who have had to change their plans.

They don't tell you things like "you can’t apply to the nursing school until you are a sophomore or junior" upfront?

Old 07-25-2020, 08:38 PM

4,630 posts, read 4,902,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
They don't tell you things like "you can’t apply to the nursing school until you are a sophomore or junior" upfront?
Only on their nursing web page, under admissions...

Quote:
BSN APPLICANTS MUST HAVE:
  • 2.8 minimum cumulative GPA and the General Education and Nursing Science prerequisites listed below
  • Earned at least 60 credit hours prior to beginning the program
  • A grade of B- or better in BIOL 252/252L, BIOL 253/253L and MCRO 251 within 5 years of the application deadline
  • A grade of C or better in PSYC 101 and STOR 151/155 or approved equivalents within 10 years of the application deadline
  • Beginning June 2021 (May 2022 application cycle), applicants must also have a GPA of at least 3.0 in the key science courses at the time of applying.
  • Completed a full Anatomy and Physiology 1 and Anatomy and Physiology 2 sequence at the same institution, or a complete course in Anatomy and a complete course in Physiology. BSN applicants may have A&P 2 outstanding at the time of application but it must be completed by the end of the spring semester prior to beginning the program
  • Applicants must have completed at least three of the key science prerequisites by the application deadline. Key science prerequisites are BIOL 252/252L, BIOL 253/253L and MCRO 251, PSYC 101 and STOR 151/155.
  • Applicants must be on track to complete all General Education requirements of UNC-Chapel Hill and all nursing science prerequisites by the end of the spring semester prior to beginning the program.
  • Nursing does NOT accept Pass/Fail grades for the key science prerequisites (BIOL 252/252L, BIOL 253/253L, MCRO 251, PSYC 101, and STOR 151 or 155).

Old 07-25-2020, 09:42 PM

1,879 posts, read 2,028,827 times
Somewhat surprising. At my school, you just had to worry about not failing the 100-level and 200-level courses.

Old 07-26-2020, 03:49 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,350,838 times
I have always thought that was just how it was in competitive programs. My undergraduate university has a really well-resourced engineering program, but applicants must complete pre-engineering and apply to the specialty of choice (e.g. 2 years of pre-engineering with things like math and physics, THEN they could apply to get into the electrical or mechanical or whatever discipline).

My undergraduate major was in a different school/major grouping, and we saw so many of those poor guys come over at the 2-year mark that the joke was our unofficial name was the "School for failed engineers".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities