Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2009, 11:35 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,540,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post

Im done...only 8 pages too late.
I was thinking troll too, earlier in the thread. That last one confirmed it.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:29 PM

427 posts, read 1,387,422 times
Just a note, there's more than one community college in CT. NVCC(Naugatuck Valley Community College has the best nursing program in the state. Even better than private schools.

Rent is cheaper than boarding fees from colleges.

And you don't really have as much time as you might think to get your grades up. Most students have already applied to college. I knew by Oct. of my senior year which colleges I got in.

Also ADD is not really an excuse anymore. So many kids are diagnosed with ADD that colleges don't look at it as a serious reason for bad grades. Bad grades are bad grades.

Learn to take some responsability for your actions and stop making excuses. EVeryone on here told you what you need to do, on more than one thread, the answers are not going to change.

Free periods are not really free periods they are meant to be study periods. They give you time to work. Colleges look down on taking easy classes, they would rather see a student get a B in an Honors class than an A in an easy class. They look at the hard classes.

And using the school you go to as a reason to not go to a CC is a joke as well. I went to a really good private HS in CT, where out of a graduating class of 105, 104 went to college, and one joined the airforce. No one cared if someone went to CC, especially to save money.

And it's the same teachers. Most of my college professors(and I went to Fordham) taught at the local CC. Same teacher/same class for a fraction of the cost.

Grow up, people are giving you good advice, learn to listen because in a few years when you have massive debt from school your going to wish that you had listened.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:05 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
Although this post has gone on for 18 pages, the OP is still a High School Junior. He cannot apply to any colleges until August at the earliest.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:30 PM

Not a 100% true. I knew by August of my junior year that I was accepted into my top school.

Most of my friends and I took our S.A.T. at the beginning of junior yearand started applying. Most colleges will not even see your first semester grades of your senior year, until after you have already applied.

Also another thing to consider is that if you goof off and screw up your final semester a college has the right to rescind the offer. ( sorry for any typos, I just a new keyboard and it's kind of weird.)

Old 02-23-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLeigh View Post
Not a 100% true. I knew by August of my junior year that I was accepted into my top school.

Most of my friends and I took our S.A.T. at the beginning of junior yearand started applying. Most colleges will not even see your first semester grades of your senior year, until after you have already applied.

Also another thing to consider is that if you goof off and screw up your final semester a college has the right to rescind the offer. ( sorry for any typos, I just a new keyboard and it's kind of weird.)
Applying at beginning of Junior year?

I think you may be remembering wrong. Applications are posted in August, most deadlines are not until November at the earliest - Senior year. I've just done this with two kids and am about to start the search process with #3.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:08 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,925,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Applying at beginning of Junior year?

I think you may be remembering wrong. Applications are posted in August, most deadlines are not until November at the earliest - Senior year. I've just done this with two kids and am about to start the search process with #3.
Regardless, you figure most students start applying around the end of their junior year. That gives the OP only this semester to bring his grades up to an acceptable level.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:54 PM

I went to a private school so most of us did early acceptance, but yes by end of junior year at the latest. And some of the schools he likes are a no. I got wait listed for Hofstra with a much higher g.p.a. and more ec's. Their tough. Even UConn is going to be tough they have upped their expectations.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:03 PM

Early acceptance, Early decision is still SENIOR year. Agree that THIS is the semester to bring up the grades.

College Admission Timeline
College Planning Tutorial: College Application Timeline
Senior Year College Application Timeline - Keep Track of Senior Year Deadlines
Getting into College: Put Together a College Admission Timeline - CliffsNotes

Realtors, See This.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:25 AM

I do agree that he really only has this semester to pull up his grades, but colleges look at all of your grades, including the previous semesters. That is what he will have trouble explaining, colleges want to see your work get better not worse.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:49 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,594,265 times
Is this a social experiment??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities