Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 05:17 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,781,122 times

Advertisements

I am not a fan of for-profit schools; but I don't think it is entirely fair to bash ITT. If you are looking to become a web designer or professional drafter/designer or even an electronics technician -- and you need a degree...then ITT is fine. Traditional 4-year colleges and universities do not "usually" offer these programs. However, if you find a public school or community college that does offer these programs, I would suggest going to the latter.

However, I feel that going to ITT to be a business or accounting major is pretty foolish. You cannot get accepted into any reputable graduate programs with an undergraduate degree from this school and employers will also be less than impressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 05:29 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,937,825 times
A good friend of mine hires for a large tech firm in this area - and he's says ITT folks won't even make it to the interview. IMO - your money would be much better spent elsewhere, ie university.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:04 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,233,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.00 per hour View Post

What?
It was a joke.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:23 PM

1 posts, read 12,181 times
Default ITT Tech is Excellent

I am a student working on my degree in Computer Networking. I have been here for three quarters. The teachers are very knowledgeable and the equiptment is modern. I know many perople who have graduated from this school and have excellent well paying jobs. ITT even places you in a job. Yea it is a little pricey only because they are a private school and receive no government funding.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:24 PM

516 posts, read 1,888,915 times
Given what I saw when I went to ITT, I wouldn't let someone with an ITT degree in Computer Networking anywhere near my systems.

I never saw anyone get placed in any job they had studied for.

And as for government funding - what do you think the grants and student loans are?

Dropping out of ITT was one of the smartest decisions I have ever made.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:35 PM

325 posts, read 2,995,765 times
Rather than the for-profit status, the bigger issue for me is the accreditation status and admissions selectivity. That goes for "real" colleges as well. By the way, if you're looking into bachelor's programs, you could look for online programs. Many accredited universities offer them, and for much less than the cost of ITT tech.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:19 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,359,422 times
Is it accredited?

Old 12-08-2008, 04:42 PM

1 posts, read 11,893 times
Hi, I am currently a student at ITT going into the 5th quarter of my AD in Visual Communications. The price is a bit high but if they can get you a high paying job it's worth it. The school over all isn't a total let down, for the most part the books are up to date and useful.

The school has open labs Mon-Sat, all of which have 3ds Max, Maya, Microsoft tools and internet connection. They also have Multimedia drives with AI, AP, AIn and more. The labs computers have some problems though with long load times that can be irritating.

Instructors are normally from the field they teach. That's how it has been for me from my programing classes when I was in Multimedia to the 3d Animation class I am taking now. My academic classes have all been taught by helpful instructors that want their classes to learn.

I came looking to see if people have had luck after school finding jobs. Not happy with the results I found on here I will look more into it. When I joined the school I was told they had a good track record with getting their students jobs. I have also heard this from a personal friend recently graduated from ITT with an Associates in Networking.

Last edited by ozaffer; 12-08-2008 at 04:54 PM..

Old 12-08-2008, 09:16 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,882,696 times
Getting a job will be up to you. Good students who present themselves well and show the initiative to gain experience in the career field will find work. I think the people who are succesful at ITT tech would be succesful anywhere. The IT world is turning into a compettative dog fight, itt techs job placement wont be finding the morons that float the place through federal grants jobs.

Comparing itt tech to Accredited state instututions or community colleges is off base. At the bottom of my property tax statement is a line appropriating my tax dollars towards a community college that I support through the voting process. I also vote for the trustees and other administrators so as a citizen have a say in who and how the college is run.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:34 AM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,761,646 times
Quote:
My husband got suckered into the school, he graduated, we owe $30,000 and he can't use it. He is in a totally different field because nobody will hire. Save your money you can get the same education at a community college and then transfer to a 4 year. Good luck!!
$30,000 was the TOTAL (books, living cost, etc) I spent for 6 years worth of education to get BS in Civil Engineering.
3 years in community college and 3 years in Cal Poly, a state university.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities