Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 03:52 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times

Advertisements

Eactly what I studied (English and education), no regrets, here. I would have done more study abroad, though. As it is, I did two terms in other countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 04:42 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,749,141 times
I wouldn't have gone for a Master's. The only reason I did it because it seem like the thing to do. I didn't do any research on how it would affect my future career possibilities. I would have joined the work force 2 years earlier and maybe I wouldn't have had such a hard time finding a job after the .com layoff.

No medical degree wishes here. I have no stomach for that field.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:55 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,889,137 times
I graduated with a degree in finance in 04.

If I could re do it...??....don't believe that everything taught in class is the truth

They put an awfully naive spin on the world...everyone is rational, capable, interested in maximizing their own self interest. No one cheats or steals in a finance class. There are no crooks that bring down the system. No discussion of ego, greed or stupidity.

-The Federal Reserve is lauded in college texts. Or at least its implied that its a good institution. No Ron Paul arguements, etc. Maybe Ron Paul didnt contribute enough to get into the textbooks

-Little if any examination of successful investment types...i.e. Warren Buffett isnt really discussed. Even though he's only the richest man in the world. It's taught in an awfully strange way. You wouldnt really know whats going on in the world if all you knew was what was taught in class.

It'd be like taking a class on golf, but you don't know what Tiger Woods swing is. Or what his philosophy on golf is. There's no enough synthesis among big thinkers and big ideas (from Ben Graham to a modern financial whiz).

Old 06-12-2009, 09:17 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,523,276 times
I would have studied biomedical engineering instead of chemical engineering. As I've aged, I find I want to do something that matters to people. If I could do it over again, I'd do something like make prosthetic limbs for people. The sad truth is everything I ever did as an engineer is either in or headed for a junk yard.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:20 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,125,976 times
I never really thought about it until I decided not to continue persue a PhD several years ago. I was wounded in the military on three occasions and my education had to be delayed due to my injuries which I still have to this day... If I could change I would change my degree to the field of medicine..

Retired now but I am still young and I retired because I could, so I did it....

I achieved a Masters degree later in life than most and loved the ride. Parents had absolutely no dough and I paid it all and will never regret it.

Anyway, if I could do it again I would try to become a medical doctor because I love helping people and I would achieve my lifelong dream of helping save lives instead of helping lots of people achieve their goals in business ....

There is really no safe route in helping those who are in trouble...Ya never know the person you help may show their appreciation to someone else they meet .....

Good luck and God Bless our Troops and Veterans...

Old 06-13-2009, 09:07 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,377,476 times
I always strived to become one of few, not one of many. This is why I avoided majoring in business, sociology, psychology, english, speech, history, and so forth. I really liked math and had an interest in computers, so I majored in Computational Mathematics. This was not a mistake. However, I made the mistake of thinking that I would never pursue another degree, and didn't focus on getting top grades. Very immature and short-sighted of me. This mistake led me to a job as a software engineer, a profession I had little respect for. I instead wanted to be an applied mathematician who built mathematical models for scientific applications. This latter profession I felt was more worthy of me. I felt and later confirmed that software engineers were nothing more than blue collar professionals. I did not enjoy my time in the profession, especially in silicon valley. So, I got the major right. I was primed to get advanced degrees, but didn't realize it during undergrad.

With that said, if I had to do it over again, I would do the exact same thing I did. I never find fault in decisions my younger self made. I enjoyed my undergrad experience, and the path afterwards led to where I am today...which is a good place! I did get those advanced degrees, and my path to them made me what I am today. My biggest regret was not continuing to play my violin during college, but I eventually resumed that as well. It's all good.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:09 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,202,988 times
I'm 73 and retired now from a nursing career. If I could do it over, I would have stuck with my first love--the biological sciences rather than going for the less expensive nursing education.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:10 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
I was always interested in medicine, but had no aptitude for anything mathematical, so I veered away from the doctor and nursing tracks. The interest was there, just not the mathematical skill.

Old 06-13-2009, 04:36 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,285,123 times
I have a education degree with multiple teaching certifications. I teach biology on the middle school level. If I could do it over I would go into medicine or forensics. While I love the biology, especially the human body systems, the kids are driving me crazy!

Old 06-13-2009, 05:19 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,049,969 times
I think every high school graduate could benefit from going out and working in the real world for a couple of years before they start college. It will give them more experiences to base their decisions on and make them appreciate the opportunity to learn. I went to college late in life and found it easy to get the highest grades in class because most of the other students were to busy playing.

Even after my real life experience I switched majors a few times, but always got good grades. I started out in basic engineering prep, took a few art classes, ended up with a liberal arts degree BFA that allowed me to take classes in everything from engineering, to oil painting, to physics and anthropology. I never regretted that liberal arts background, graduated phi beta kappa and went on to a 3 year graduate school program in Architecture.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities