Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 05:25 PM

16,786 posts, read 49,231,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Be glad you did the safe route. I know architecture grads who finished this spring who not only can't find paying jobs, they can't even find non-paying internships.

Architects with grad degrees, experience and NCARB aren't having a really easy time of it, for that matter. This economy is not kind to construction- related professionals.
Yes, construction related professions are tied to the ups and downs of the economy, but for the most part the professionals can always find work some where, we never really stop building, and the problem solving skills learned in these professions are always always useful elsewhere.

That said in 32 years of economic ups and downs, I have never been unemployed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 08:38 AM

409 posts, read 2,638,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Yes, construction related professions are tied to the ups and downs of the economy, but for the most part the professionals can always find work some where, we never really stop building, and the problem solving skills learned in these professions are always always useful elsewhere.

That said in 32 years of economic ups and downs, I have never been unemployed.
Well, either you are very lucky or you play it safe most the time. I've seen alot of skilled and experienced construction profecionals that cant find work.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:49 PM

242 posts, read 790,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
I was in the pre-clinical BSN (RN) track, one semester from clinical courses, and ready to apply to the program (you had to wait til you had most of your pre-requisites completed so they could use the GPA to rank applicants) when I let someone talk me into going pre-med instead.

One semester of pre-med courses, with pre-med students, and I confirmed I did not want to be a doctor.

I then changed my major to Community Health Education. I wish I had gone back to the BSN program - easier to get into at the time (1994) than they are now, and I could have become a patient educator or public health nurse. Wish I had known then that the patient education/community education jobs in Health Care Facilities went to RNs. I did not think it through, and the internet was not the vast resource it is now - I could have easily found out today that was how it worked.
I agree with you I was going to major in Health Science Option in community health but when I was doing research I noticed that all the jobs required a RN license. I had already put that major on my CSU application, I hurried and changed it.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:21 PM

275 posts, read 709,425 times
My first choice after high school was mortuary school-- I even got accepted to the Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science. I really wanted to go, but I was stupid and let a friend talk me out of it... and I am not a fan of Pittsburgh, I really wanted to go to Gupton Jones in Georgia.

Ended up that I went to school for 6 years and got my BFA in photography. It is my passion and i LOVe it, but if I had to do-over again in this field, I would have focused on Art Ed, moving on to a Master's in Education.

Now I'm looking at a Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) so I can teach K-12 specializing in art.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:06 PM

409 posts, read 2,638,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikongirl24 View Post
My first choice after high school was mortuary school-- I even got accepted to the Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science. I really wanted to go, but I was stupid and let a friend talk me out of it... and I am not a fan of Pittsburgh, I really wanted to go to Gupton Jones in Georgia.

Ended up that I went to school for 6 years and got my BFA in photography. It is my passion and i LOVe it, but if I had to do-over again in this field, I would have focused on Art Ed, moving on to a Master's in Education.

Now I'm looking at a Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) so I can teach K-12 specializing in art.
Is it because you got bored of doing what you do? or other Economy issues?

Old 06-20-2009, 12:59 PM

4,547 posts, read 6,840,621 times
I would choose mechanical engineering if I was going into college today.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:46 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,874,182 times
I studied mostly Sex and Drugs in college.

If I had it to do over, I would add Rock & Roll.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:33 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,892,075 times
well right now I am studying accounting, which I really enjoy and want a career in the field. I'll get my CPA shortly after I graduate (studying now). I might go to law school as well but that is really a toss up at this point haha.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,890 times
I started high school and did lots of plays and went to Brooklyn College as a Theater major. Lo and behold- evil mother dearest kept saying that all actresses have to sleep with someone somewhere to get anywhere. I heard it so much I withdrew after doing the Glass Menagerie, Barefoot in the Park and Raisin in the Sun. I dropped out and started back a few years later in the Pre-Med program but stopped after 2 years because it was boring. A few years after that 3 sons- no school. Went part time to finish nursing. Got masters and here I am trying to finish up my nurse practitioner program. Forget med school. Got accepted but put the letter away because EVERYONE from inlaws to family and friends said I had no right to be so selfish in going to medical school when I had boys to raise. So I am nurse to everyone. I wish I had tuned everyone out and gone to med school because a part of me still longs for it. I love working as a hospice nurse but I try not to think about the what ifs because they can kill the smile off your face and stifle your laughter so I try to other things like volunteering at indigent clinics.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:32 PM

94 posts, read 225,785 times
If I could do it over again, I would have majored in Elementary Education from the start. My parents were footing the bill for my undergrad degree and would not allow me to major in education. They felt that it was not intellectual enough. They wanted me to be a doctor or lawyer. After undergrad I ended up footing the bill myself to get a Masters in Education so that I could be a teacher. I suppose they felt they were doing what was right for me. I do feel, however, that they were unwilling to allow me to seek out my own calling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities