Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 08:51 AM

865 posts, read 1,490,027 times

Advertisements

[quote=Braunwyn;14289698]There are complaints all over this forum about what not to get a degree in or field to enter...math now, chemistry, education. I bet if a thread were started we could make a long list.[/QUOTE

I have a chemistry degree, and wouldn't say not to enter field. I have not had any issues finding employment, but I did NOT go into research and knew that working was more than playing with beakers and lab notebooks all day.

One attribute I feel is missing in a lot of other graduates or people starting out who can not find jobs is theie reluctance to work their way up from the bottom. I started my career on nights for many years, commuting almost 50 miles each way to a job. Do you know how many times I was told I am nuts! Over ten years later, my career is progressing, and the same people are complaining how life has dealt them such a horrible blow. Do people not realize that they are the victims of their own restrictions?? Are they just going to give excuse after excuse, and keep saying woe is me??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 10:13 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,625,231 times
[quote=bluemonday;24539612]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
There are complaints all over this forum about what not to get a degree in or field to enter...math now, chemistry, education. I bet if a thread were started we could make a long list.[/QUOTE

I have a chemistry degree, and wouldn't say not to enter field. I have not had any issues finding employment, but I did NOT go into research and knew that working was more than playing with beakers and lab notebooks all day.

One attribute I feel is missing in a lot of other graduates or people starting out who can not find jobs is theie reluctance to work their way up from the bottom. I started my career on nights for many years, commuting almost 50 miles each way to a job. Do you know how many times I was told I am nuts! Over ten years later, my career is progressing, and the same people are complaining how life has dealt them such a horrible blow. Do people not realize that they are the victims of their own restrictions?? Are they just going to give excuse after excuse, and keep saying woe is me??

That sounds like the people who will not move to another state for a great job.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:30 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,784,969 times
Whatever, math is awesome. It isn't meant to be a degree that leads to one specific career, like electrical engineering or nursing, it's meant to have some application to a wide variety of jobs. And if you're uncertain about what career you'd like to have, it's wise to have the foundational skills to apply to many different areas.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:05 AM

865 posts, read 1,490,027 times
[quote=ram2;24540940]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post

That sounds like the people who will not move to another state for a great job.
I've talked to some folks who won't move, and on some levels I can understand after moving a lot early on in my career, and finally finding an area I love.

However, you have to accept the things that come along with staying in one spot, whether it is a longer commute, different hours, less pay, changing one's profession, traveling as part of the job, etc. I've talked to a bunch of people who asked for advice for getting a job, but when I would suggest a job or a place to work, then the attitude came out. "It's too far (when its only a few towns over)" or "I don't want to travel for my job" or "I don't want to work earlier or later hours" I gave up giving career advice, they know best, right (snicker)?

Old 05-31-2012, 11:41 AM

3 posts, read 13,383 times
Let's quit whining and get to the point people: Here are some the jobs you can get with a math degree.....or fields to go into...or we can just do nothing.....

Architectural, engineering, and related services, Management, scientific, and technical consulting services, Scientific research and development services, Research and development in the physical, engineering, and life sciences.....that seems a whole lot better than soome of the other degree options out there....I'd be willing to listen to any credible feedback....

Old 05-31-2012, 11:48 AM

3 posts, read 13,383 times
"One use for applied mathematics will be in the growing field of cloud computing, in which companies and governments buy access to data storage and computing power over the Internet. Increasing migration to cloud computing is creating many new sources of data that have to be mined and analyzed. Mathematicians who have a master’s degree will likely find opportunities in private industry"

Old 05-31-2012, 12:03 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,273,096 times
I worked in aerospace for over a decade. Some of the people who earned the 'engineer' title didn't have engineering degrees, they had math degrees. Math is pretty broad.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:23 PM

78,444 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
A math degree is valuable in computer programming and the insurance industry.
*cough* Indeed.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:24 AM

2 posts, read 7,739 times
hello i need someone to give some advice about the most needed careers because i am so confused and still don't know what should i study in the university i love math, i wanted to be an engineer first but everybody told me that engineers aren't working in their profession i d
on't want to rate a year of my life doing nothing!!! can somebody helps me??

Old 07-10-2012, 04:32 AM

2 posts, read 7,739 times
[quote=Lebanese;25099017]hello i need someone to give some advice about the most needed careers because i am so confused and still don't know what should i study in the university i love math, i wanted to be an engineer first but everybody told me that engineers aren't working in their profession i d
on't want to rate a year of my life doing nothing!!! can somebody helps me??[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities