Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 06:59 PM

1 posts, read 4,019 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I would really appreciate some opinions about these areas. My family is moving to COS in October/November, and we won't have a chance to scope it out ourselves beforehand and will be in a hurry to find a place to live when we get there.

I am looking for a neighborhood that has a short drive to Peterson AFB (less than 15 minutes ideal), though I am willing to live a little farther away if need be. I also want someplace that I can feel safe if my husband happens to be out of town a lot.

We are looking to rent a house for around $1200 a month, or possibly buy in the $180,000 range.

Any input would be so helpful! I am nervous about moving out there and living in a neighborhood that looks nice on the outside but that I don't feel safe. Of course, if there are any other areas that would fit my needs, please share!

Kim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 08:53 AM

38 posts, read 196,455 times
This is just my opinion...I live in 80915 Cimarron Hills,and in my experience.....if I were in your shoes,avoid this neighborhood like the plague....I have lived in this neighborhood for a good long time now,and it is not the best of places...80922 is a bit more high end but well worth moving there over 80915.I will probably be somewhat attacked for my opinion...but I live in 80915,and I know what I see and hear.Good luck in your search for your new community!

Old 07-24-2007, 09:17 AM

641 posts, read 2,276,072 times
Kim,

I live in the 80922 area that includes Stetson Hills and it's very far from upper class, but it's a lil' nicer of a neighborhood. I'm a single very recent Air Force retiree and bought my first house just this past year. My neighborhood is pretty nice, but even still, there are folks that don't seem to have any intention of taking care of their house and the yard of weeds and parked cars in the grass makes the neighborhood look more run down than it is.

The area of Airport and Murray, which is just outside Peterson's West gate, seems to be very prone to some good old fashioned street violence! I'd stay away from the very southern end of Powers Blvd, closest to the base. Not to be too negative, but the area right outside Peterson's main gate isn't the best anymore either. There are a lot of rental properties there and just due to the nature of renting, the houses are kinda' beat up.

As you travel North of the base, the neighborhoods seem to get better. The folks on the base at his or your squadron/organization will be able to point you to some better places when you get here.

Terytee

Last edited by Terytee; 07-24-2007 at 09:25 AM..

Old 06-29-2010, 09:50 PM

7 posts, read 17,482 times
so how is spring ranch area

Old 06-30-2010, 03:46 PM

224 posts, read 732,469 times
My sister lives in the Springs Ranch area near the high school. She loves it. She's in a Richmond home and has been there for about 8 years from the time it was built??? Her home doesn't have a basement but I think some of the homes do. It's close proximity to the base and shopping on Powers Blvd. She lives alone and most of the time she feels very safe walking her dog around the neighborhood. There are kids and families throughout the neighborhood.

Hope that helps.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:47 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,599,462 times
There are good sections of 80915 and not as good sections of that area. My MIL lives in that area and we lived with her for several months. We never felt that it was a bad neighborhood. Sure, it didn't have the nicest houses, most were built in the 1970's, but the people around her are fantastic. The neighbors look out for each other. That area goes north of Palmer Park and close to Horizon M.S. and RMCA (a charter school) on Piros. There are larger homes in this area and it could be deemed a "safer" neighborhood.

You should look along Markscheffel RD, that leads to Stewart RD (the entrance near the commissary and PX). You can still be in the 15 minute zone if you go a little west of Powers, north to Stetson Hills (the Old Farm neighborhood for example). We live in that neighborhood and my husband works on Peterson, he has no issues making it to work on time.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:35 PM

so is it racist in 80922 or spring ranch colorado or are people nice

Old 07-01-2010, 07:34 AM

6,814 posts, read 10,510,104 times
There is no "racist" zip code in CS, imho. In general, the city is "whiter" to the north, but that would be a big time generalization.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:14 AM

so the spring ranch area is mostly white

Old 07-01-2010, 09:37 AM

598 posts, read 1,546,287 times
I have lived in 80922 since 2005 and love it. (Stetson Hills & Marksheffel)

Great neighbors, nice park, shopping nearby, etc. There are a few neighborhoods without HOAs and you'll be able to spot those rather quickly...no lawns, weeds, cars on blocks, etc.

It's a buyers market right now and you can get a great deal on a house. There are a few for sale on my street that are priced to sell. (one is a foreclosure)

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs