Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 10:09 PM

6 posts, read 8,045 times

Advertisements

In COS because 10 years of Fremont County was enough. I'd been OK with Pueblo County, but wife said no. Couldn't afford anything further north and wouldn't live there even if it were free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 08:17 AM

930 posts, read 1,654,760 times
I moved around a lot when younger. I was born in Casper, and grew up in Chicago, moved north of Baltimore, then finished out schooling north of Houston. I met my husband in college and he loved Colorado Springs. His grandmother was born and raised here, her aunts taught up in Monument in the red brick building which is now the administrative building. His grandfather came to Colorado Springs as part of the WPA(?) CCC(?) not sure which alphabet soup program helped him- he helped over at what is now Fountain Valley School. The two met and after the war, moved to Texas. The family always came to Colorado Springs for vacations and my husband always wanted to move back. After we graduated from college we moved up here and have lived here ever since.

For me, personally, if I drive north I feel at home in the wide open spaces of north Colorado/Wyoming even though I moved from Casper when I was 6. I like the mountains but I love the prairie.

I love Colorado Springs.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:59 PM

91 posts, read 149,652 times
Originally from the beautiful state of Utah ( sorry CO but much more convenient for skiing!! ��). Spent 7 years in MI after meeting my husband, a couple years in SC, 5 years in Highlands Ranch, and 2 years here. We choose COS area because it was less expensive than Denver with better views.

Old 12-08-2017, 02:30 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,886,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicarae1060 View Post
Originally from the beautiful state of Utah ( sorry CO but much more convenient for skiing!! ��). Spent 7 years in MI after meeting my husband, a couple years in SC, 5 years in Highlands Ranch, and 2 years here. We choose COS area because it was less expensive than Denver with better views.
I was born in Denver but "grew up" (ages 5-13) in Olympus Hills, SLC. It was a great place to be a kid. Jump on our mini bikes and head up Mill Creek Canyon. Utah is highly underated and most of us know why. In fact, COS reminds me of SLC more than any other Front Range city. Both are beautiful.

Old 12-08-2017, 02:34 PM

834 posts, read 744,402 times
Denver.

In a nutshell... cheaper housing.

I really do love it here though, it's beautiful and very friendly overall.

Old 12-13-2017, 11:58 AM

924 posts, read 1,021,424 times
from Miami FL

Moved here because I was recruited from College to work. Did not want to move to Colorado, but not going to deny a good paying job. Rather live in georgia or virginia to be honest

I like the colorado natives, but cant stand the people from texas and california. extremely rude
not saying all are, but majority are - especially while driving.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:38 AM

812 posts, read 1,470,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
I like the colorado natives, but cant stand the people from texas and california. extremely rude
not saying all are, but majority are - especially while driving.
Just curious, how do you tell where people are from "while driving" other than by their license plates? If they have out-of-state plates then aren't they just tourists? So are you saying you can't stand "tourists" from texas and california who drive badly while visiting? Sorry, I'm just confused how one discerns a driver's state of origin if they have Colorado plates. Are they wearing "I'm from Texas" cowboy hats when they rudely cut you off and flip you the bird?

My personal experience is that natives and non-natives of every state are equally rude, equally self-absorbed, and equally likely to drive while staring at their phones.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:43 AM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
In Colorado Springs at least, a lot of the military folks keep out-of-state plates pretty much indefinitely. There's some kind of work-around that allows many of them to do that so that they can pay lower fees, etc. I don't know all the details but it is common. Young military folks are often not the best drivers - some love to speed and race, some aren't aware of differences between driving laws in Colorado vs. wherever they learned to drive, etc. But they're definitely not the only ones.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:06 AM

812 posts, read 1,470,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
In Colorado Springs at least, a lot of the military folks keep out-of-state plates pretty much indefinitely. There's some kind of work-around that allows many of them to do that so that they can pay lower fees, etc. I don't know all the details but it is common. Young military folks are often not the best drivers - some love to speed and race, some aren't aware of differences between driving laws in Colorado vs. wherever they learned to drive, etc. But they're definitely not the only ones.
Interesting. That sounds like perhaps more a "young military folks thing" than a "we love to insult everybody from Texas and California thing" though obviously both are "things." In todays PC climate, if we can't generalize and insult everybody from Texas and California then who the heck can we generalize about and insult?!! I get it.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:21 AM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post
Interesting. That sounds like perhaps more a "young military folks thing" than a "we love to insult everybody from Texas and California thing" though obviously both are "things." In todays PC climate, if we can't generalize and insult everybody from Texas and California then who the heck can we generalize about and insult?!! I get it.
Generalizations are inherently false. But we make them because they sometimes still convey meaningful or useful information. Sometimes they don't, though, and then they need to go. And I don't mean to insult anyone. There are plenty of responsible young military who are good drivers as well. I was mainly intending to make an observation about military choosing to keep out of state plates being a thing - i.e. not everyone with out of state plates around here is a tourist or new transplant.

Last edited by otowi; 12-14-2017 at 12:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs