Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 12:43 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,390,777 times

Advertisements

Boy, this thread broke down more rapidly than I would have guessed.

From L.A. Story, California highway driving;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoU39Rpp4FI

To stick with the original question, I'm a fourth generation local. Aside from the family legacy, I stay here because I like it. I have worked for several large, multi-national corporations and have numerous temporary duty assignments that have allowed me to live on the east coast, west coast, and foreign countries for months at a time. I always come back here and decide to stay. To me, it has a nice combination of things to do and places to go. I live in a great neighborhood, know a lot of different people, and have watched the town change quite significantly in just my lifetime. I'm excited, albeit somewhat nervous, about what may be in its future. Could I make more somewhere else, probably. Could I find more of something else I want in my life, sure. CoS has a nice combination of a lot of things I like, so I stick around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 01:57 PM

1,950 posts, read 2,298,854 times
Ha ha LA story great movie

Old 12-28-2017, 12:57 PM

13 posts, read 22,517 times
I've been around.

I grew up mostly in rural Ohio, near the PA/WV border, so not the flat boring part of Ohio but rather the hilly boring part of Ohio. Took a trip out to CO one year (Denver, Estes Park), it was the farthest west I had ever been - I loved it. There was just something about the air, sun, snowy patches, elevation, mountains, that just resonated with me. Not too long later I got a random chance at work to relocate out to COS, I took it in a heartbeat. Lived in COS for a bit before life took me back to the east coast (Charleston, SC) then more inland (Memphis, TN). Realized these other places just didn't work the way COS did specifically. Charleston is one of those places that everyone thinks they would love living until they live there. I would vacation there maybe once, but living there was terrible for me, but I guess it depends on what you like. Hot and humid, traffic, bugs, crime, just is not my cup of tea. Charleston crime was nearly non-existent comparatively to Memphis, no offense to anyone who may be there or from there. Got lucky and moved back to COS and bought a house to make it permanent. Sometimes I miss Ohio, specifically more because I lived in the country whereas now I live in the urban. COS just has the feeling of a smallish town still, but not as hectic and big as Denver. I would probably love living up in the mountains but you lose the convenience of being close to shopping, restaurants, etc. I like that COS is closer to the mountains than Denver. I love the sunshine and the moderate temps. Everyone has this misconception that everywhere in Colorado looks like Southpark all the time. I have to explain to people that it doesn't snow that much in COS and honestly, it gets very cold from time to time but mostly it's moderate. One thing about Ohio that always bugged me was the wet and cloudiness. It would be dreary there for a week or more at a time. Sometimes here in COS I wish for a rainy cloudy day just because you get tired of the sunny days after a while. It's one of those things you think you miss until you're back in it. That's one thing I think I've realized from living different places... there's things you miss in a moment that you don't really miss all the time. I was born in Florida and loved vacationing there but I wouldn't want to live there either. I think COS gives me senses of bits and pieces of the places I'm familiar with. Sometimes I swear the ocean is just out east in the horizon or looking at downtown at the right angle seems like a small rural OH/PA city - especially in the winter.

Old 12-28-2017, 01:30 PM

730 posts, read 769,459 times
My husband and I are from Albuquerque, New Mexico. We wanted to leave there for a while but it wasn’t until we had kids and both had medical issues (one had cancer and one has cerebral palsy, epilepsy and a visual impairment) which forced the move to find better health services. We considered Denver because both kids go to children’s for medical but found North Colorado Springs had some schooling options that worked well for our kids while still maintaining a cost of living similar to what we had in Albuquerque. So here we are two years in. I’m still figuring out the town. There are good and bad parts of every place, including here, but it’s a good fit for us.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:56 PM

83 posts, read 90,848 times
Im anchorage ak through and through.

I vacationed in " the springs" 6 yrs ago and freaking loved my first impression.

For me being a small town bumpkin it was like a respectable LA

Old 12-28-2017, 04:34 PM

235 posts, read 355,550 times
Colorado Springs would be a much better place if they shut down Fort Carson, and the political climate moderated a bit. Development interests have way too much power in the region. But it is a beautiful area. Unfortunately that's being tainted by the increase of litter and resource abuse by those who treat our forests more as a place to blow off steam and party than a place of solitude and natural beauty to respect and reconnect.

Old 12-28-2017, 07:35 PM

1,013 posts, read 978,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
Colorado Springs would be a much better place if they shut down Fort Carson, and the political climate moderated a bit. Development interests have way too much power in the region. But it is a beautiful area. Unfortunately that's being tainted by the increase of litter and resource abuse by those who treat our forests more as a place to blow off steam and party than a place of solitude and natural beauty to respect and reconnect.
This relates to the topic how?

Old 12-29-2017, 10:08 AM

79 posts, read 125,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouWill787 View Post
I've been around.

I grew up mostly in rural Ohio, near the PA/WV border, so not the flat boring part of Ohio but rather the hilly boring part of Ohio. Took a trip out to CO one year (Denver, Estes Park), it was the farthest west I had ever been - I loved it. There was just something about the air, sun, snowy patches, elevation, mountains, that just resonated with me. Not too long later I got a random chance at work to relocate out to COS, I took it in a heartbeat. Lived in COS for a bit before life took me back to the east coast (Charleston, SC) then more inland (Memphis, TN). Realized these other places just didn't work the way COS did specifically. Charleston is one of those places that everyone thinks they would love living until they live there. I would vacation there maybe once, but living there was terrible for me, but I guess it depends on what you like. Hot and humid, traffic, bugs, crime, just is not my cup of tea. Charleston crime was nearly non-existent comparatively to Memphis, no offense to anyone who may be there or from there. Got lucky and moved back to COS and bought a house to make it permanent. Sometimes I miss Ohio, specifically more because I lived in the country whereas now I live in the urban. COS just has the feeling of a smallish town still, but not as hectic and big as Denver. I would probably love living up in the mountains but you lose the convenience of being close to shopping, restaurants, etc. I like that COS is closer to the mountains than Denver. I love the sunshine and the moderate temps. Everyone has this misconception that everywhere in Colorado looks like Southpark all the time. I have to explain to people that it doesn't snow that much in COS and honestly, it gets very cold from time to time but mostly it's moderate. One thing about Ohio that always bugged me was the wet and cloudiness. It would be dreary there for a week or more at a time. Sometimes here in COS I wish for a rainy cloudy day just because you get tired of the sunny days after a while. It's one of those things you think you miss until you're back in it. That's one thing I think I've realized from living different places... there's things you miss in a moment that you don't really miss all the time. I was born in Florida and loved vacationing there but I wouldn't want to live there either. I think COS gives me senses of bits and pieces of the places I'm familiar with. Sometimes I swear the ocean is just out east in the horizon or looking at downtown at the right angle seems like a small rural OH/PA city - especially in the winter.
Fantastic read, thank you for posting. Always enjoyable hearing from someone who has experienced many places first hand.

Old 01-01-2018, 05:20 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,376,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Hello everyone!

Where are you originally from? What made you move to Colorado Springs?

Thank you
I was born and raised until age 10 in Colorado Springs, when by no fault of my own, I was unceremoniously ripped from my home by my mother (story for another day) I spent 20 years of hell in Northeast Ohio, and made the trip back to the Springs once I was able in 2006. I have never looked back. It's the only place I've ever lived where I wasn't longing for somewhere else. I can't describe, other than to say I feel it in my soul.

Old 01-01-2018, 05:26 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,376,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
Colorado Springs would be a much better place if they shut down Fort Carson, and the political climate moderated a bit.
Bite the hand that feeds you much? Without Fort Carson, COS would end up as just another dusty town along I-25. Like it or not, the city is what it is BECAUSE of the Military. You realize the Army is the single largest employer in El Paso county?

Everyone better pray to whatever deity they believe in, that BRACS or closures never happen to any military installation in the area, or it will effect us all.

sorry for going off topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs