Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 09:10 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times

Advertisements

Holly's first mistake was ordering pizza from Red Robin ... ... poor bear is gonna need to be treated for metabolic syndrome ...
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2020, 09:20 AM

1,943 posts, read 2,296,787 times
wow !

Old 10-06-2020, 06:08 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times
WATCH: Sprinting bear nearly outruns car near Colorado Springs

https://gazette.com/denver-gazette/w...cddf95dc9.html

"Think you can outrun a bear? Maybe this will change your mind. Never run from a bear. You may trigger its instinct to pursue. If you encounter a bear, back away slowly. Speak calmly. Make yourself look large. If it charges, stand your ground."

Long story, short – don't try to outrun a bear ... even if you're Usain Bolt. Bolt holds the record for fastest human foot speed, set at 27.8 miles per hour...still not fast enough to outrun a bear."

https://cpw.state.co.us/bears

Old 10-06-2020, 05:57 PM

20,382 posts, read 14,651,390 times
There have been tons of posts on Nextdoor all over my area about bear sightings this year. I'm near Academy & Vickers. Many seem to be in the area around Montebello by the Safeway/Target shopping center, near Union & Academy. One assumes that they wander into the residential areas from one of the many open spaces around here. I like to go hiking on the trails in those open spaces, but in recent months I only go if I can get some friends to go with me (we do "social distance hiking" together.) I have been surprised that I haven't seen, or heard, any rattlesnakes. That area really seems like prime rattlesnake real estate, to me. All the rocks and scrub and such.

Would it be accurate to think that mountain lions are more prevalent on the west side of I-25? I haven't heard anything about any being seen, in recent times...but then, a friend tells me, just because we don't see them, doesn't mean they aren't there. He says if you've hiked in the Colorado Springs forested areas, foothills, or open spaces, you've probably been watched or stalked by one at least once. ???

I feel pretty lucky though, because I have had a sighting of one of the more elusive CO beasties, not a dangerous one, but an expert hider, so much so that people don't know they exist!

https://www.livescience.com/64800-ri...ts-photos.html

Yep, the cutest animal in North America lives here! I saw one outside the window of my office up near Interquest & Voyager. It was sheltering in a tree, from a nasty hailstorm, and enduring much harassment from the local magpies, who were not happy to see it there at all. (They eat eggs and baby birds, so...)

Old 10-09-2020, 03:30 AM

Is Anyone Home? Bear Peeks In Door, Hangs Out On Porch

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2020/10/...arks-wildlife/

"COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (CBS4)– A bear was captured on a home security camera peeking in the door and wandering around the porch of a home in Colorado Springs. Now, Colorado Parks and Wildlife want to find the bear before its behavior gets any more aggressive.

CPW released the video asking for help from homeowners to keep things that might attract bears, like birdfeeders and trash bins, away from porches and outdoor spaces. Those things can attract bears and encourage behavior that may be dangerous to both humans and bears."

Old 10-09-2020, 03:44 AM

400-pound bear goes dumpster diving at Woodland Park restaurant

https://gazette.com/news/crime/publi...debd5c3bf.html

"Unsecured garbage is to blame for yet another black bear incident in a Colorado mountain town this week.

Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) tranquilized a 400-pound bear after discovering the "sick old boar" inside an unlocked dumpster at a restaurant in Woodland Park.

"Garbage kills bears," Colorado Parks and Wildlife warned in a tweet on Wednesday following the incident. "We hope it won't be the case with this 400-pound bear."

The dumpster-diving incident serves as a reminder that bears turn into relentless eating machines during some months. During the hyperphagia stage – a period of excessive eating and drinking in preparation of hibernation – bears can consume a staggering 20,000 calories or more per day. That’s nearly 6,700 french fries a day or 70 slices of pizza!

Along with securing garbage, wildlife officials also recommend removing bird feeders, closing garage doors, keeping windows and doors accessible to bears locked. "

Old 05-02-2021, 06:12 AM

Colorado woman found dead after apparent bear attack

https://gazette.com/news/local/color...dba29904a.html

"A 39-year-old woman was found dead late Friday in Colorado after what Parks and Wildlife officials believe was a bear attack, according to a Saturday news release from the agency.

The woman was found off US Highway 550 near Trimble, a town north of Durango in southwest Colorado.

The La Plata County Coroner's Office will complete an autopsy of the woman, who's identity was not released, next week, the agency said.

The woman was a resident of Durango. It is believed she was out walking with her two dogs early Friday, according to the woman's boyfriend, who spoke with La Plata County Sheriff's Office. The woman's boyfriend said he last communicated with her early Friday, the news release said.

The boyfriend, whose name has not been released, told investigators he returned home about 8:30 p.m. Friday and discovered the two dogs outside of their home, but the woman was missing. He started searching for her and discovered her body around 9:30 p.m. and called 911.

Colorado Parks and Wildlife officers responded to the scene and reported signs of consumption on the woman's body and an abundance of bear scat and hair at the scene."

Old 05-03-2021, 08:36 AM

1,943 posts, read 2,296,787 times
This is Sad

Old 05-07-2021, 07:22 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
My oldest son moved to CS this past February. He goes hiking every weekend. Reading these stories freaks me out because when I was a kid I used to have recurring dreams of being chased by a bear. I'm supposed to visit him this autumn.

Old 05-07-2021, 12:10 PM

50,796 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
My oldest son moved to CS this past February. He goes hiking every weekend. Reading these stories freaks me out because when I was a kid I used to have recurring dreams of being chased by a bear. I'm supposed to visit him this autumn.
Well, when I was a kid I had recurring nightmares of being chased by tree trunks (with huge roots as legs). I lived on Colorado Springs for almost a decade...never got chased by tree trunks! So take heart!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs