Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 09:05 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,243,340 times

Advertisements

I travel to Colorado Springs about every year. I just got back from there and the growth seems to be accelerating. Traffic in some places was as bad as any I've seen in Los Angeles.
In 20 years is the area going to be overpopulated, congested, and smoggy like Denver?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 03:51 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
I don't think so, but yes, we're growing. And Denver has way less smog than it used to. Compared to most big cities, our traffic is actually still great.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:07 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,987,379 times
I don't see Colorado Springs becoming Denver. The cities are vastly different on many levels.

Colorado Springs traffic is terrible - I must admit. C/S has no where near the volume of traffic as Denver. C/S's traffic problems is due to poor design of roads and poor roads themselves. It's as if the city of C/S has refused to admit that it was growing. As a result the roads simply are not able to handle the volume.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:47 PM

85 posts, read 203,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMichelle View Post
I don't see Colorado Springs becoming Denver. The cities are vastly different on many levels.

Colorado Springs traffic is terrible - I must admit. C/S has no where near the volume of traffic as Denver. C/S's traffic problems is due to poor design of roads and poor roads themselves. It's as if the city of C/S has refused to admit that it was growing. As a result the roads simply are not able to handle the volume.
This is the first mention of terrible traffic I've heard on this forum. Actually, maybe the second, but for the most part residents seem to think the traffic overall is pretty decent, unless you run into some construction on the highway.

Has anyone been to Modesto, California? If not, I'd describe it exactly as you have said. Though I wouldn't blame the initial road designs, it's like everything you need is in this 10 block radius, so traffic jams up there immensely. Everyone likes the Outback, so there's never any parking there, that sort of thing. Personally, I can't stand Modesto for this reason. Everwhere you go is bumper to bumper in this 10-block stretch.

What I picture about COS is that there are bigger stores like the Best Buy and maybe a Walmart or something toward the northern outskirts, then there are shopping areas spread out evenly through town. Am I wrong?

I would LOVE a round about map like that from some experts. Could you go north to south and lay out the traffic-y places and the reasons? That would be a tremendous help.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:49 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
I'm from the DC area, traffic here is NOTHING like that hell back there, or SoCal, or Atlanta, or Manhattan....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:14 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times
I see Colorado Springs and Pueblo becoming the next Minneapolis/ Saint Paul over the next 20 years...

Old 08-14-2009, 06:31 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I see Colorado Springs and Pueblo becoming the next Minneapolis/ Saint Paul over the next 20 years...
Actually, COS is already larger than Minneapolis.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:18 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
If some Colorado town had to become the next Denver, I suppose Springs would be right up there on the top of that list... compared to towns like say... Aguilar, Kim, Branson, Arapahoe, Slit, Cotopaxi...

Maybe in the year 2059, CoSprings will be the size of the Denver Metro of 09.

We'll check back in 59 to verify this.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:29 PM

64 posts, read 288,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I'm from the DC area, traffic here is NOTHING like that hell back there, or SoCal, or Atlanta, or Manhattan....

The one time I went to DC it took 2 hours to move about 5 miles. It was sweltering hot and we had to turn the A/C off to keep the car from overheating. It was quite possibly the longest 2 hours of my life. I imagine that was a good day too as the jam up was not due to an accident or construction.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:30 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Actually, COS is already larger than Minneapolis.
Then there you go, we are already well on our way!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs