Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 04:44 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,012,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arioe353 View Post
Thanks for the comment, you were one of the only ones who had helpful and positive things to say. I'd really like to know where "cupcake" and "jazzlover" are from so I know NOT to move there. But thank you,

You couldn't afford my area, even if you could you probably would not want to live here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
The biggest sin is judgement without knowledge, cupcake.

oh I do have the knowledge, I know for a fact you're from Texas. Close to Houston. If I posted it I would get into trouble and Mike just let me out of the pokey.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:48 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
oh I do have the knowledge, I know for a fact you're from Texas. Close to Houston. If I posted it I would get into trouble and Mike just let me out of the pokey.
Hey, I'm not all that bad, am I?
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:48 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,938 times
Mike should probably put you back in the pokey.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Mike should probably put you back in the pokey.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:41 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,465,055 times
Quote:
Do you have any idea how strong you have to be to be a massage therapist? You try massaging 12 people in a row, and a hour long session for each person. You'd quit after the first person.

I am VERY aware of what the job market is like. It's happening everywhere, do you think I am ignorant? Do you not think that an educated person would look into this before planning a serious and BIG move? I am a educated woman.

He also does HARD labor, he isn't limited to "foo-foo" jobs "jazzlover".This is ridiculous.I WONT be moving to CO prob. due to the fact that you all are RUDE. Oh and Cupcake, I'm from OHIO ! Ignorance won't get you people far.

One of the biggest sins is JUDGEMENT WITHOUT KNOWLEDGE.

Good day.
Well, here is the hard truth. When I say "foo-foo" jobs, I mean jobs that become an unnecessary luxury in difficult economic times. They go away. It doesn't matter whether the work is hard or not. When the service is not a necessity, the market for such work shrinks in down economy. Pretty simple. Colorado is full of failed businesses these days from people coming here blinded by the "Paradise Syndrome" and trying to compete with legions of other people trying to make a living providing services or products that are less and less in demand.

Now, to the medical marijuana. What everybody forgets is that marijuana is still a federally illegal drug. As such, there are legions of employers who will not hire or will not tolerate employee that use it, whether the user has a "prescription" for it or not. That eliminates you from consideration for a whole lot of jobs--many of them that are some of the better paying and stable ones available in this economy.

You can take or leave my opinions--that's your choice. But I have been making a living here for longer than many people reading this have been alive--that's more than a lot of people can say. By the way, I've done work in my life that would make 12 hours of massaging people in an air conditioned room seem like a vacation.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:57 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,243,410 times
Decided not to move there because of some comments? Looks like Jazzlover's work here is done!

Old 07-08-2011, 10:05 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Quote:
Thanks for the comment, you were one of the only ones who had helpful and positive things to say. I'd really like to know where "cupcake" and "jazzlover" are from so I know NOT to move there. But thank you,
The internet is full of people making curt comments or raining on other people's parade; ignore opinions that don't work for you.

Just do your due diligence to get facts, cost of living data, use realtor.com to see house styles and prices, then place your bet accordingly.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:08 PM

63 posts, read 116,053 times
Quote:
I plan to move to CO soon but have no clue where to go. Same old thread I know. Call me picky but I have some specifics that I need to be surrounding my future HOME. Help PLEASE

Sons education
? He isn't even one yet, but we plan to stay LONG term and we want our son to have good opportunities when it comes to his education & sports

Peaceful? Somewhere BEAUTIFUL, peaceful, serine, but not to far away from civilization (shopping centers,the city)

Medicinal Marijuana? Somewhere where I can have access to medicinal marijuana for my anxiety

Massage? My husband is a massage therapist and we would need to live somewhere around a massage heights, or any massage parlor. But he s not limited to massage therapist job.

Price? Not to pricy. Low but nice living

Please and Thank you
That's not picky, you should see some of the requirements of people wanting to move to California and Oregon. Your list is workable for the most part. I have often seen people lay out a list of wants in a location, and the locals give quite brutally honest impressions of their area leaving the inquirer thinking they are rude or just don't want them in the state. Jazzlover was just being honest about the condition in his area, really.

Education - IMHO opinion, Colorado schools are great. I attended school in three small towns and Denver, all delivered great education, and sports programs seem to be important to all districts in the state. Of course I graduated in the 1980's so it may have changed, I doubt it has too much. If you think you like an area, you can find stats about the specific school district online.

Peaceful - Anywhere outside of a metro area is peaceful. That pretty much excludes Denver, but there are really nice quite areas in south Denver. The CS area is nice. I'm more of a Western Slope person, very quite and serene in places, but shopping is limited outside of Grand Junction. Palisade comes to mind. It's a really nice quiet, peaceful, serene town close enough to GJ to suit your needs (and one area I went to HS in). You mentioned City shopping. Depending on what you consider a city, that could exclude you from western Colorado, though there's definitely enough shopping in GJ for me.

MMJ - The Colorado Dept of Health has a site devoted to MMJ and covered conditions. Anxiety isn't specifically mentioned nor disqualified. I know dispensaries popped up like weeds early in the game, many have since been closed. It would be up to your physician whether your condition qualifies under Colorado rules.

Massage - Your husband will of course need to get licensed in the state of Colorado. Jazzlover was right about the luxury expenditure occupations taking a hit. But, look near hospitals. I know there are usually massage therapists in the general vicinity of all major hospitals. My doctor at St. Mary's in Grand Junction actually prescribed massage at a location nearby (in the complex) That was in 1995. Check postings at hospitals on the Front Range and Grand Junction.

Price - I no longer live there, Mike suggested realtor.com. That's a good idea. There are always deals to be had.

Good luck

Old 07-11-2011, 02:41 PM

322 posts, read 709,996 times
Just having come back on a reconnaissance trip to Denver area (Boulder, Golden and afar to Twin Lakes as well), your best bet is to go and know Colorado. People don't move to Colorado for MMJ...heck, you can move to upstate NY and grow your own. Not many anxious folk up there.

Know Colorado and the areas before just stating you'll move there. If your husband is licensed in Ohio, then he knows that ALL states have their own licensing board, and he'll need to apply to the Colorado one before he knows if he's able to work there.

Its not cheap to live in Colorado. I'm from Texas too, born in upstate NY and lived my adult years in Pennsylvania. Ohio and Pennsylvania are very cost efficient to live. New York taxes the death of you, Texas taxes the health from you, and Colorado is just wonderful, lovely, and priced accordingly. We will have to pay more for our home in CO, but the taxes are 1/4 what we pay in Houston. And insurances are much less than Houston.

I believe that a lot of folk don't understand that you can't just go into a MMJ dispensary and say, "I'm anxious"...its not codespeak for, "I can't grow my own and can't be bothered to buy it from my neighbor's son." Get a bike or some great hiking boots, Colorado's outdoors is enough to tame the anxieties. Call me a sinner, I'm sure you'll feel I've judged you. Try getting out there and spend a few weeks going around the state. You'll then decide if its for you. (Jobs aren't plenty there, and the yoga/massage/reiki/etc. industries, compared to Houston, can't pay much, as they charge half what I have in Houston, and many less practitioners than here in Houston...) I found that those with money went out into nature, not to the MMJ dispensary or a massage 'parlour'. Sorry, I've good friends that are massage therapists, and never call them that, nor would work in one (those are Vegas massages, you see.)

Oh wait, God allows humans to judge, but only God condemns. That is what we were taught in church.

To end, get out there first and look around!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado