Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 04:40 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
But seriously I'm thrilled.

Although I don't think that any legislation should be passed which forces private parties to participate in gay marriage activities...like the article mentions some baker who could be sued or go to jail for not making a gay wedding cake? No way. "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone, for any reason or no reason." And churches should have that right, too.

So then you have an appropriate level of separation between church and stage. Equal rights under the law, and the church doesn't have to host the oh so fabulous ceremony if they don't wanna. Easy!
I am gay and I agree with this 100%. This is a big day for the couple getting a civil union. Find a good place that wants your business why work with someone who does not on that special day? Personally I would leave find someone who wanted my business then tell everyone I know what happened. Bad word of mouth can hurt a business more especially in these economic times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 04:41 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
But seriously I'm thrilled.

Although I don't think that any legislation should be passed which forces private parties to participate in gay marriage activities...like the article mentions some baker who could be sued or go to jail for not making a gay wedding cake? No way. "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone, for any reason or no reason." And churches should have that right, too.

So then you have an appropriate level of separation between church and stage. Equal rights under the law, and the church doesn't have to host the oh so fabulous ceremony if they don't wanna. Easy!
Excellent post. I think people who have never run a business refuse to understand this point.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:51 PM

20,393 posts, read 14,667,898 times
I have a dear friend who is a staunch Libertarian, and he gets mad because he thinks that the government has no business in marriage at all and it should be solely a religious institution.

I can't agree with that. Because you've got family court, divorce court, estate law, medical rights, insurance regs, you name it...all of these very legal contractual things...that are involved. From that perspective it's the government's business, and their obligation, to grant equal rights.

And exactly, if a business owner can't overlook their own beliefs long enough to sell you a cake for crying out loud...then it's their loss!

And churches...well ya know, if that's how they want it, I'm sure that a gay couple can find an arrangement that suits their happiness better. In fact I'm thinking of the resorts up in the mountians, no? Sure beats the boring old churchy chapel any day if you ask me...

It gets old hearing about how gay marriage is somehow a threat to anyone's institution. If a believer believes something, then nothing anybody else is doing should be able to threaten it. Finding your happily ever after is hard enough without wasting half your life in other people's business...jeez...

Old 01-24-2013, 04:54 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,814,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I am gay and I agree with this 100%. This is a big day for the couple getting a civil union. Find a good place that wants your business why work with someone who does not on that special day? Personally I would leave find someone who wanted my business then tell everyone I know what happened. Bad word of mouth can hurt a business more especially in these economic times.
The bakery referenced is MASTERPIECE CAKESHOP | great cakes since 1993 | 303.763.5754 in Lakewood Colorado. I suspect refusing to accomodate gay people on their special day will hurt their business. Many of us with gay friends and relatives will draw a line in the sand and refuse to patronize these bigoted establishments. I will never purchase as much as cream puff from places like Masterpiece.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:37 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Damn, I hate it when I find myself in agreement with you!

Old 01-25-2013, 12:49 PM

238 posts, read 315,739 times
Quote:
This is good news for Colorado. Also, it is expected to be done so by May 1 civil unions can begin in Colorado.

This is from the Denver Post:

Senate Bill 11 now heads to the Appropriations Committee, one of a number of steps before the measure makes it way to the governor's desk. It is expected to be signed into law by Gov. John Hickenlooper in March and become law on May 1.

Read more: As expected, Senate committee passes Colorado civil unions bill - The Denver Post
Fantastic! My partner and I are entering into a domestic partnership in California (we're about to sign the papers and send them off), and when we move to CO at the end of this year, we can take it a step further!

Old 01-25-2013, 01:56 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,690,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
The bakery referenced is MASTERPIECE CAKESHOP | great cakes since 1993 | 303.763.5754 in Lakewood Colorado. I suspect refusing to accomodate gay people on their special day will hurt their business. Many of us with gay friends and relatives will draw a line in the sand and refuse to patronize these bigoted establishments. I will never purchase as much as cream puff from places like Masterpiece.
Wow, that's a big bummer. We used Masterpiece Cakeshop for our wedding back in 2002, after sampling cake from 3-4 other bakers. They have a great product, but I certainly won't patronize them after learning this. Of course, I don't live in the Denver area, so it won't be hard, but all my family is still there.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:47 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Read all about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
Wow, that's a big bummer..
Cake shop owner will continue to reject orders for same-sex weddings - The Denver Post
Masterpiece Cakeshop refuses to bake a wedding cake for gay couple - Denver - Restaurants and Dining - Cafe Society

Old 01-25-2013, 03:17 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,343,807 times
I don't believe doing that to any business in USA. There are hard working people there and your not going to use the best because of that? Who cares, I do business with people and business with different beliefs than me. so you boycott Chic whatever or Hobby Lobby because their beliefs, should others then boycott Fogers and Home Depot for their beliefs? Just be happy and let those poor people at the bakery keep their jobs.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:34 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
I don't believe doing that to any business in USA. There are hard working people there and your not going to use the best because of that? Who cares, I do business with people and business with different beliefs than me. so you boycott Chic whatever or Hobby Lobby because their beliefs, should others then boycott Fogers and Home Depot for their beliefs? Just be happy and let those poor people at the bakery keep their jobs.
I'd rather see people boycotting a business out of FREE WILL than see government legislation FORCE a business to serve to people they don't want to.

Which do you prefer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado