Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 12:06 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,112,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
The destruction of the traditional family is happening all over the country, not just Colorado.
The destruction of the traditional family is far more influenced by separated parents of their biological children, not by two parents (gay or straight) raising a family together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 02:36 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,237,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
It would not be the same. Its not just about the party (that is the fun part) its about all the benefits that come with it that most straight people don't even realize.

Thanks. I am 39 and I am told I can party more then college guys lol

One thing to note if you go with the traditional Italian food buffet style its not as expensive as it can be once you start dealing with sit down dinners and for me the Italian food is much better and makes for a more festive atmosphere. That is the kind of wedding I want to have.
39? You better hurry... I found my partner at age 25

Old 01-30-2013, 02:37 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,237,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
This development is disheartening to me, but if I plan to live in Colorado I'll just have to deal with it somehow. I have made my peace with Jack Johnson music and marijuana smoke smells, so maybe I can get over my disgust of same sex marriage. Or maybe not...
Well, there's another square state just to the north of CO that will surely be one of the last to enact equal rights for gay people.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:14 PM

78 posts, read 129,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
Why is it that no one talks about how these marriage benefits are actually discriminatory against SINGLE PEOPLE, not necessarily against gays?

If the government treated all single and married people exactly the same (which it should), then wouldn't the whole SSM issue be dropped? Hmm......
I do think you have a point, to an extent. The "rights" I am most concerned about are... knowing that I would be allowed at my partner's bedside in the ICU, being able to make medical decision if it was needed, knowing that the house that is in her name, but we pay equally for would not automatically revert to her parents, etc. Sure, the tax and insurance benefits would be nice, but I want to know that in the face of unimaginable tragedy I wouldn't also be kicked out of my home and not be able to be at her deathbed.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:53 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,469,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
39? You better hurry... I found my partner at age 25
Yes I know. I love Pueblo but it is hard to meet guys here. However that is a discussion for another thread.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Well, there's another square state just to the north of CO that will surely be one of the last to enact equal rights for gay people.
Although I've heard they're close to passing a man-sheep marriage bill up there...

Old 01-30-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dittoCO View Post
I do think you have a point, to an extent. The "rights" I am most concerned about are... knowing that I would be allowed at my partner's bedside in the ICU,
I often see this 'right' claimed by many people. But it actually isn't a 'right' at all. It is a mandate forced upon private businesses (hospitals) by the government.

You may agree with it, but I just hope people realize what kind of slippery slope we're getting into when we allow our government to make more mandates over business decisions.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:45 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,692,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
I often see this 'right' claimed by many people. But it actually isn't a 'right' at all. It is a mandate forced upon private businesses (hospitals) by the government.

You may agree with it, but I just hope people realize what kind of slippery slope we're getting into when we allow our government to make more mandates over business decisions.
Actually, your logic behind this is flawed. The hospital isn't doing this based on a business decision. Unfortunately it has to do with state laws that don't allow for domestic partnerships, same sex partnerships, and the like. Again, we could go back to the example given earlier about African Americans not having the right to access the same hospitals as white people. It's time to recognize some basic human rights. Yes, they are rights! We are all human and have the right to be treated equally under the law!

Old 01-30-2013, 06:34 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
This development is disheartening to me, but if I plan to live in Colorado I'll just have to deal with it somehow. I have made my peace with Jack Johnson music and marijuana smoke smells, so maybe I can get over my disgust of same sex marriage. Or maybe not...
Keep in mind that disgust is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:22 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,718,300 times
Default Not representative of all

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
Don't worry, I'm sure you and your fellow conservatives will find another group's civil and human rights to trample over in the name of Jesus...
Bideshi is not representative of everyone who claims to be a Christian. As a Christian, while I do not encourage gay marriage, it's not my business to pass judgment or damn people to hell for wanting it either. Just as it's not my business to pass judgment on those who have had an abortion.

My concern is not even that GOD would pass judgment on those people. My concern is what kind of judgment God will pass on me. And since churches have no problem letting fat people (me-gluttony) or divorced people come through their doors, I don't really get why many won't welcome gay people or abortionists or anyone else who wishes to come. God is for everyone. God is the one who passes judgment on the good, the bad, and the ugly!!

RedSox, accusing conservatives and Christians in general of trampling over human rights puts you in the same category of lumping everyone in one group into necessarily holding the same views.

The God I worship is the same One who cares for you, too. So I pass no judgment on anyone. I believe we stand on common ground, in need of the same forgiveness and the same help as everyone around us.

So perhaps the real disappointment of civil unions is not that legally men or women may declare they have a partner of the same sex ---it is that I doubt many, if any, Churches would open their doors to allow a gay couple to join together before God. Because if you are going to deeply love some one, and wish to declare it to the world, it should be before God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado