Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 02:31 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,240,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
I'd rather see people boycotting a business out of FREE WILL than see government legislation FORCE a business to serve to people they don't want to.

Which do you prefer?
I agree. I assume small businesses can refuse service to anyone, correct? If a baker wanted to only service Catholics, for instance, could they turn away all others?

But really, isn't it a stupid move for any business that's open to the public to get into the whole politica/social issue game? If I'm a business owner, I want to make money from anyone and everyone. Why would I **** off a large portion of potential business? Or if you dislike certain groups of people, maybe being open to the public isn't a good career move for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 03:05 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,112,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I agree. I assume small businesses can refuse service to anyone, correct? If a baker wanted to only service Catholics, for instance, could they turn away all others?

But really, isn't it a stupid move for any business that's open to the public to get into the whole politica/social issue game? If I'm a business owner, I want to make money from anyone and everyone. Why would I **** off a large portion of potential business? Or if you dislike certain groups of people, maybe being open to the public isn't a good career move for you.
Yes, this is how a free market is intended to work. However, government has shown to overstep its bounds, such as the aforementioned civil rights era, where they mandated "You MUST service black people." Now we go from a free market to a controlled market.

Many conservatives support the gay movement. However, if liberals even think about petitioning the government to mandate that businesses service gays--against their beliefs--then you will see this support fade VERY fast.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:45 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,718,300 times
Default Federal anti-discrimination law

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
Yes, this is how a free market is intended to work. However, government has shown to overstep its bounds, such as the aforementioned civil rights era, where they mandated "You MUST service black people." Now we go from a free market to a controlled market.

Many conservatives support the gay movement. However, if liberals even think about petitioning the government to mandate that businesses service gays--against their beliefs--then you will see this support fade VERY fast.
Federal anti-discrimination law covers:
  • Age (40 years or more)
  • Color
  • Genetic Information (protected types)
  • Disability (physical or mental)
  • National Origin
  • Race
  • Religion
  • Sex (including pregnancy and childbirth)
A business might find itself in trouble for refusing service or sales to anyone for any of those reasons. However it is not unreasonable for a business to have a sign that says: "No shoes, no shirt, no service."

It could even have a sign that says "No service to anyone wearing a hat" or "No service for those in yellow clothing."

I worked for a number of insurance companies that said, "We won't provide any kind of coverage for sports cars," or "no coverage for anyone under age 21 unless we carry their parents/guardians insurance policy." But, believe it or not, an auto insurer may NOT discriminate against someone who is blind. They may ask additional questions to be certain the blind person is not the operator of the vehicle, but they cannot deny coverage based on the physical disability of blindness.

There are lots of ways to discriminate that are not illegal. Some may not make a lot of sense, but that is the great thing about a free country---even business owners may be as stupid as anyone else as long as it isn't illegal!!!!

Old 01-28-2013, 04:35 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,470,623 times
Quote:
My partner (of 16 years) and I plan to "make it legal", but neither of us want a wedding ceremony. Weddings seem to me more of a thing for women to feel like a princess for a day lol! And a HUGE waste of money. I really don't get the whole wedding thing.
Its a personal preference. I am Italian and have been to many Italian weddings and love them. The pasta, homemade Italian cookies, mints, cake, wine etc. Plus songs like the Chicken dance. Its a nice family reunion for something other then a funeral. If you have ever seen Tony and Tina's Wedding that is how the ones were that I went to. I actually got bored at the play because I had been to so many in real life I was like why would I want to see it acted out?

That being said I have always dreamed about having my own. Hopefully soon I can. Now I just have to meet the guy for me.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:59 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,345,131 times
Quote:
My partner (of 16 years) and I plan to "make it legal", but neither of us want a wedding ceremony. Weddings seem to me more of a thing for women to feel like a princess for a day lol! And a HUGE waste of money. I really don't get the whole wedding thing.
After putting on two weddings in one year for our two daughters. That cost a fortune so they could feel like princesses for the day, I agree. A little get together with best friends and family and then off to someplace romantic sounds better than a 2 hour party that cost a down payment on a house.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:42 PM

399 posts, read 817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
After putting on two weddings in one year for our two daughters. That cost a fortune so they could feel like princesses for the day, I agree. A little get together with best friends and family and then off to someplace romantic sounds better than a 2 hour party that cost a down payment on a house.
Putting a price tag on a special moment and disregarding the memories that were created and will be created is something most people can't see until after they realize it was or wasn't worth it.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:53 PM

704 posts, read 1,793,272 times
Quote:

Because, simply, for a lot of people, religious faith trumps economic gain.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:57 PM

704 posts, read 1,793,272 times
Quote:
I keep wondering when Focus on the Family will finally give up on CO and move to Texas!
Give up? I'm not affiliated with Focus on the Family, but I am politically and morally sympathetic with the group. I assure you, there simply is no giving up. Civil unions may indeed pass--contrary to the will of the voters who voted this down seven years ago, of course--but the war is already won. Truth is truth, and you no matter what sorts of laws you pass, you can't fit a square peg in a round hole, and that's more or less what same-sex marriage is.

Social conservatives in Colorado have a lot of celebrate, and the future is far brighter than you think.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:56 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,410,912 times
Quote:
Not this (straight) woman. Now, of course I shoulda been born a princess and not have to work, but since it didn't happen...

The one time I thought I might marry, we were going to come to Colorado to a friend's house, have a J.P. and some meaningful words, then go off and visit far-flung friends for a "honeymoon." He (second marriage, actually, the lying SOB wasn't actually divorced) offered me the white dress gig and I couldn't think of anything I wanted less.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:22 AM

399 posts, read 817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
Give up? I'm not affiliated with Focus on the Family, but I am politically and morally sympathetic with the group. I assure you, there simply is no giving up. Civil unions may indeed pass--contrary to the will of the voters who voted this down seven years ago, of course--but the war is already won. Truth is truth, and you no matter what sorts of laws you pass, you can't fit a square peg in a round hole, and that's more or less what same-sex marriage is.

Social conservatives in Colorado have a lot of celebrate, and the future is far brighter than you think.
A long time ago that would have been accurate but obviously with enough force eventually the square peg will fit in the round hole. It's just a matter of time. With that time, society will have changed and, as history has proven time and time again, those attitudes will sleep beside you in your grave. The younger generations, no matter how much you try to force your belief or knowledge onto them, will develop their own and "evolve."

Celebrating means eventually the party will be over and you are entirely correct. There is much to celebrate before the party is over. When it's over, no one will notice because no one will care in that century. Those who did will be snuffed out by old age, truth is truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado