Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 08:43 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,942,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Been raining or hailstorms for 3 days in this extreme corner of Sw CO,hope them bowhunters got some dry wood in camp. I go Muzzleloading next week and It looks like I will have it easier weather wise but will be prepared for anything.Love the rain we are getting we need it.58 degrees as I type this,bet the LaPlatas have snowcapped peaks next time I see them.nothing but grey and rain obscuring my view today.
We haven't gotten the hail here in Cortez, but we sure have gotten the rain! Love it, love it, love it! You think that the La Plata's really might be snow capped? That would be great to see, also. Down to 54 here as of this posting.

I chanced into a conversation a few days back with an elk hunter who'd been scoping out the situation in the San Juan Nat'l forest (up off the Roaring Fork via 145), and back then he seemed to be pretty gloomy about the elk season, but I bet this rain and cooler temps have perked things up elk hunting wise along with everything else.

If I'm really nice, would you trade me a bunch of home grown tomatoes, squash and chile peppers for an elk steak?

Old 09-11-2013, 05:11 AM

802 posts, read 984,752 times
good luck, manitou!
happy days, rio grande!

do beetles float, drown or just duck and hang on?

Last edited by highplainsrus; 09-11-2013 at 05:32 AM..

Old 09-11-2013, 05:49 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,942,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highplainsrus View Post
good luck, manitou!
happy days, rio grande!

do beetles float, drown or just duck and hang on?
LOL! Don't we all wish. Nah, the awful things just crawl in under the bark and stay nice and dry and maybe snack a little while they wait it out.

Happy days, Colorado River; happy days San Miguel and Dolores Rivers! Never turn down a moment of grace and the sound of flowing water.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:30 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,882,766 times
Flash Flood Watch today for the western slope. Low clouds, fog, rain and cool this morning in Ridgway.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAND JUNCTION CO
810 AM MDT WED SEP 11 2013

THE FOLLOWING ARE PRELIMINARY 24 HOUR PRECIPITATION REPORTS FROM
WESTERN COLORADO AND EASTERN UTAH, ENDING AROUND 8 AM WEDNESDAY.
AMOUNTS ARE IN INCHES.

WESTERN COLORADO AND EASTERN UTAH 24 HOUR STATIONS:

CORTEZ, 0.24.
CRAIG, 0.16.
DURANGO, 0.79.
GRAND JUNCTION, 0.16.
MONTROSE, 0.13.
CANYONLANDS AIRPORT, 0.11.

OFFICIAL CLIMATE STATIONS OF WESTERN COLORADO:

4 MILES SOUTHWEST OF CRAIG, 0.18.
DURANGO, 0.81.
8 MILES EAST OF IGNACIO, 0.85.
PALISADE, 0.12.
2 MILES NORTH OF PARADOX, 0.58.
3 MILES NORTHEAST OF RIFLE, 0.11.
STEAMBOAT SPRINGS, 0.30.

UNOFFICIAL STATIONS:

2 MILES NORTH OF AVON, 0.47.
7 MILES NORTH OF BAYFIELD, 1.42.
5 MILES SOUTH OF DURANGO, 0.54.
1 MILE NORTHWEST OF EDWARDS, 0.19.
GOTHIC, 0.17.
1 MILE EAST OF MESA, 0.19.
1 MILE SOUTHEAST OF STEAMBOAT SPRINGS, 0.35.
2 MILES NORTH OF WOLCOTT, 0.20.
15 MILES WEST OF MONTROSE, 0.28.

CLIMATE REFERENCE NETWORK SITES OF WESTERN COLORADO:

8 MILES SOUTHEAST OF CORTEZ, 0.31.
2 MILES EAST OF DINOSAUR, 0.39.
13 MILES SOUTHEAST OF EAGLE, 0.10.
9 MILES WEST OF GRAND JUNCTION, 0.55.
15 MILES WEST OF MEEKER, 0.16.
23 MILES NORTHWEST OF RIFLE, 0.25.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:21 PM

2,887 posts, read 7,138,369 times
8:00 PM 9/11:

Sirens are blaring, emergency warnings on TV for imminent flash flooding in Broomfield, Westminster, Lafayette, Louisville, Niwot, Boulder, Erie. . .

Old 09-11-2013, 08:40 PM

26,221 posts, read 49,072,443 times
Some predictions are for up to 5 inches of rain for COLO SPGS by Friday, including the burn scar areas, which will cause quite the flooding problem. Hell, even two inches of rain, if sudden, will snarl the city itself. Could be a new sport in town, white water rafting on Shook's Run?
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:57 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,989,104 times
Wink Peak spring runoff — now

By one report there has been 0.91 inches of rain in the last 24 hours here in north central Colorado. I just checked again, and now that is 0.80 inches. But they are reliably unreliably unreliable.

BUT what I can personally report is that a river I watch closely here has risen appreciably in the last 24 hours, and is currently running at a level equal to or even slightly above its spring runoff peak in May. I have never seen that before. As of course normally these rivers continue to slowly decline in volume from spring peak into winter, and ever only slightly up briefly with any significant rain.

Last year this river peaked even lower than this year. We were saved in a repeat or worse with several unaccountably heavy April snows this spring. But normal peak is roughly about June 11, with this year's peak nearly three weeks early. The river would have to continue to rise to equal the volume of peak runoffs in former years, but really not that far below that now.

. . . and it is still raining.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
8:00 PM 9/11:

Sirens are blaring, emergency warnings on TV for imminent flash flooding in Broomfield, Westminster, Lafayette, Louisville, Niwot, Boulder, Erie. . .
What a mess - Boulder Valley School District and St Vrain School District are closed. CU Boulder is closed- some flooding in dorms on campus, family housing - some evacuations. Boulder Creek has flooding. County and Cityo f Boulder governments are closed - widespread flooding - roads are closed - whole area around Boulder, Longmont, Niwot, Superior, Erie, is affected. . .

here's a link to the Daily Camera's article:

Boulder flood: At least 1 killed as heavy flooding continues across county

Quote:
One person has been confirmed dead as flooding continues across Boulder County following three days of heavy rain, resulting in structure collapses, mandatory evacuations, stranded drivers and mudslides across the county.

Multiple structures in Jamestown and Fourmile Canyon have collapsed or been swept away, and Boulder County officials confirmed that at least one person has been killed in Jamestown after a structure collapse.

People have been ordered to evacuate from Jamestown and Fourmile Canyon.

The Boulder Office of Emergency Management said people in the city of Boulder should stay out of the flooded streets unless they are in low-lying areas or are experiencing flooding in their home.

Just before 5:30
a.m., Boulder announced that all Pinebrook Hills residents were under a mandatory "shelter in place" order for at least the next 24 hours after all major roads washed out, and gas and electric was shut off in the area.

The University of Colorado campus also announced it will be closed Thursday, and both the Boulder Valley and St. Vrain Valley school districts announced they will be closed.

A dam along the St .Vrain River failed near Pinewood Springs about 2 a.m. Thursday, and emergency officials are warning that floodwaters are headed toward Lyons. Residents there have now been warned to go to higher ground.

Residents of Fourmile Canyon were told Wednesday night to seek higher ground. . .

Old 09-12-2013, 06:52 AM

6:45AM 9/12

The highway at 287 & Dillon Road (basically at the border of Lafayette/Broomfield) has collapsed.

Starting to hear reports of flooding in Aurora; southeast Denver - so much of metro Denver is affected.

Last edited by suzco; 09-12-2013 at 07:30 AM..

Old 09-12-2013, 08:39 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,882,766 times
Fog and 45 degrees this morning, clouds moving in.

Scattered showers and thunderstorms will will redevelop this afternoon...with locally heavy rainfall possible with a few showers over the mountains. Shower and thunderstorms activity will slowly decrease over the weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado