Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 07:50 AM

12,638 posts, read 32,145,148 times

Advertisements

How do they compare? Is one smaller than the other? Do they both offer conveniences such as shopping and entertainment closeby? What about work and average travel times? Do you have to travel far to get to one place to another or is it basically all in one area?

It seems like Lexington is pretty spread out, 1/2 on one side of 20 and the other half on the other side. Is this true?

Does one or the other have more of a small town feel? Do you consider them suburbs or country?

I know Lexington has a downtown area but what abour Irmo? What does it consist of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 11:42 AM

10,997 posts, read 22,040,100 times
Lexington is more small town/rural but most of it on the non Columbia side of 20. Commutes from Irmo/Lexington to Columbia would be similar depending where you are in Lexington or Irmo. They are suburbs. Irmo has more going on than Lexington in terms of business.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Lexington is more small town/rural but most of it on the non Columbia side of 20. Commutes from Irmo/Lexington to Columbia would be similar depending where you are in Lexington or Irmo. They are suburbs. Irmo has more going on than Lexington in terms of business.
Just a guess, could you tell me about how many miles each one runs? Something that's not way spread out. Hoping to get to day to day needs within 5 miles each way with everything in one particular area. Kind of a silly question, but I'm looking for a smaller town feel with all the conveniences so I don't have to leave town. Someplace where I don't have to drive all over town to get my errands and shopping done. Do you get my drift?

Old 01-27-2011, 08:46 PM

You'll be fine with either location based on your post. Irmo has everything in Harbison but Lexington will still meet your needs and is more of a small town. They aren't vastly different. You could even buy in Lex and still be really close to Irmo if you're around the the Lake Murray Dam/Corley M/ or 378 area.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
You'll be fine with either location based on your post. Irmo has everything in Harbison but Lexington will still meet your needs and is more of a small town. They aren't vastly different. You could even buy in Lex and still be really close to Irmo if you're around the the Lake Murray Dam/Corley M/ or 378 area.
I do like the looks of Lake Murray. Is that a popular spot? Are there homes in the low $100's that don't have HOA's and have around an acre or more?

Old 01-28-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I do like the looks of Lake Murray. Is that a popular spot? Are there homes in the low $100's that don't have HOA's and have around an acre or more?
Fixer uppers. Nothing on the water for anywhere near that amount.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
I'm kind of confused. In your post it says Lexington is rural, but then it says they are suburbs. Could you explain a little better? Is one section suburbs and the other rural?

Thanks

Old 01-29-2011, 10:02 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,601,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I'm kind of confused. In your post it says Lexington is rural, but then it says they are suburbs. Could you explain a little better? Is one section suburbs and the other rural?

Thanks
Lexington is a town that is a suburb of Columbia; it is the county seat of Lexington County. The town itself is suburban with more rural areas of the county nearby.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Lexington is a town that is a suburb of Columbia; it is the county seat of Lexington County. The town itself is suburban with more rural areas of the county nearby.
Thanls for explaining that.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:48 AM

If you have interest you should probably just come visit for a couple days in person and check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area