Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 06:06 AM

257 posts, read 327,960 times

Advertisements

I welcome the curfew and I hope that it has a noticeable effect.

I'm also glad to hear the victim is doing better than expected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 06:20 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,868,263 times
Good to see the young hoodlums will probably charged as adults.

Solicitor moving to try juveniles as adults in Five Points beating - Local / Metro - TheState.com (http://www.thestate.com/2011/06/30/1879853/solicitor-moving-to-try-juveniles.html - broken link)

Old 06-30-2011, 06:24 AM

12,927 posts, read 18,778,463 times
17 isn't an adult, and a non-adult shouldn't have adult rights. I'm just glad the bars don't have to close at 2 a.m. around here.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:26 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,027,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Good to see the young hoodlums will probably charged as adults.

Solicitor moving to try juveniles as adults in Five Points beating - Local / Metro - TheState.com (http://www.thestate.com/2011/06/30/1879853/solicitor-moving-to-try-juveniles.html - broken link)
I agree. Anyone here honestly think this was the first time these kids did something like this?? I highly doubt it was pure impulse, like "hey we can shoot some hoops, or go downtown and whoop some arse...."

I'd bet that for at least most this has happened before, either not reported by their victims or just not tied to them yet.

This would be a good case for "an eye for an eye" justice.... and let that be an example to others. Just glad to see the victim at least physically is doing better

Old 06-30-2011, 06:33 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,868,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
I agree. Anyone here honestly think this was the first time these kids did something like this?? I highly doubt it was pure impulse, like "hey we can shoot some hoops, or go downtown and whoop some arse...."

I'd bet that for at least most this has happened before, either not reported by their victims or just not tied to them yet.
I think one of the earlier stories in The State reported that a few of these kids did have prior arrests.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:34 AM

144 posts, read 296,274 times
There are several reasons that a curfew should be enforced in nighttime entertainment districts in my opinion.
People who are under 18 generally do not have money to spend and no place to spend it when all the bars will not allow anyone under 21 inside.
This leaves large groups of kids on the outside looking in with nothing else to do but loiter around and get into trouble. You throw young adults who are leaving bars drunk into the mix and it is a recipe for disaster.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:17 PM

301 posts, read 804,760 times
If anyone is interested, here's an interesting article speaking on how there is little proof that an implemented curfew makes any difference in youth crimes and how it may not even be constitutional.

Juvenile Curfews: The Rights of Minors vs. the Rhetoric of Public Safety | Section of Individual Rights and Responsibilities (http://www.americanbar.org/publications/human_rights_magazine_home/irr_hr_hr_fall99humanrights_budd.html - broken link)

It speaks to another location entirely, but I feel that it makes good points that would apply to Columbia.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:51 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,394,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oogax3Girl View Post
I disagree. Why does a 17 year old citizen have less of a right to be on public streets than an adult?

I don't see how the government can legally discriminate against an entire group of people. Which, it is discrimination. This law was put in place to lower crime on the assumption that 17 year olds and under are going to commit crime. Well, anyone can commit crime. It is an ageless activity.

That being said, I do wholly agree that parents shouldn't allow their children to wander the streets at such late hours, but I don't think the government has any right to enforce a law banning a group of people from a public place. If a private entity wants to do it, fine, then that's their right.
Children (a word I use intentionally) under the age of 18 are regularly limited in their rights and privileges. A curfew will not curb any and every type of crime, but it will give law enforcement a legal case for telling young miscreants to move along. I'll lose no sleep over that.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:35 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,614,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Children (a word I use intentionally) under the age of 18 are regularly limited in their rights and privileges. A curfew will not curb any and every type of crime, but it will give law enforcement a legal case for telling young miscreants to move along. I'll lose no sleep over that.
I agree, kids under the age of 18 have no business in an entertainment district like Five Points in the late hours. We see a little of this in Charlotte when large events are held downtown, groups of kids under 18 come into town and it usually does not end well. I have no problem with a curfew.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:02 PM

83 posts, read 276,513 times
The more legal weapons we have against thugs the better. That means being creative. Bust adults with them for contributing.

Ideally, their neighborhoods would be gentrified and they would be thinned out that way. Gentrification is the only way to push bad folks out of an area. Checkpoints for license and registration can choke off enemy mobility, bust DUIs, and find those with outstanding warrants. Tow ALL vehicles whose paperworks isn't straight. That way many of the criminals will be turned into pedestrians or forced to drive with others. Smart cops know a full car is up to no good and can find reasons to pull it over. Asset forfeiture is another tool. Lose enough cars and many folks won't drive into contested areas.

ALL criminal records with full identifying info should be posted openly online. Concealing juvenile identities is wrong. They only reason to hide them is so "kids" can commit more crimes as legal adults, and that's no reason. We have the resources to name and shame all criminals. We should use them without mercy. We are at war, and thugs kill far more people each year than we lost in Iraq and Afghanistan. Thugs want war and they should have it. Destroy them.

As far as personal security, avoid people who are poor, avoid people who don't look like you (technically not nice, but a total win in a practical sense), get a concealed weapon permit, a practical weapon and holster for it, and practice at the range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area