Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2016, 07:20 PM

1,154 posts, read 957,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I think the Vista lady means that the Vista district should remain at its current height. If I were running the show in Columbia, I would have no building along Assembly Street be any taller than the tallest building that's there now. The Vista would remain at its current height from Blossom to Taylor and from Assembly to the river. It would be the sky's the limit from Gervais to Elmwood and from Assembly to Bull.
i think at the river the height should be higher like you saw in the original Innovista plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 07:41 AM

757 posts, read 568,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
I thought they were doing the renovation like a few years ago.
A guy and his son bought it last year. My understanding is that they are doing some smaller renovations, but that it will take several years to see much of a transformation.

Old 12-07-2016, 05:08 PM

So i saw them tearing down a small warehouse on green street next to the Green crossing apartments anyone knows if anything is going up there soon. Maybe something we've missed?

Old 12-08-2016, 07:23 AM

757 posts, read 568,034 times
Quote:
So i saw them tearing down a small warehouse on green street next to the Green crossing apartments anyone knows if anything is going up there soon. Maybe something we've missed?
Wasn't there a second part of the complex on the other side of Greene? I don't think that's new.

Old 12-09-2016, 01:29 PM

68 posts, read 65,162 times
Quote:
Back in October Columbia Craft Brewing Co. announced they'd be opening a small microbrewery on that site. Last I heard the buildings being torn down are to be replaced with an outdoor patio, beer garden, and food truck station and the main warehouse on the Pulaski-side of the lot will be renovated into a tasting room and brewing facility.

Old 12-09-2016, 10:11 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,122,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Not sure if you meant to say that Columbia is more *akin* to a small town, but either way, that would be absolutely incorrect. Columbia looks and acts very much like what it is--a midsized city growing at a healthy rate. Just because a city isn't booming at the level of Charlotte doesn't mean it's in the same basket as Cheraw or Edgefield...give me a break.
Columbia didn't take risks when they were developing. The city looks like they starting to realize the suburbia model isn't working anymore. They are a midsized city, but the more they hinder developments the more other midsized cities will grow at Columbia's expense. I never compared it to Cheraw or Edgefield so don't get it twisted.

Old 12-09-2016, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Columbia didn't take risks when they were developing. The city looks like they starting to realize the suburbia model isn't working anymore. They are a midsized city, but the more they hinder developments the more other midsized cities will grow at Columbia's expense. I never compared it to Cheraw or Edgefield so don't get it twisted.
I have to agree with you there. I just have issues with the design board. Yes i understand keep consistent designs with certain areas but i think they can be a bit too conservative.

But I'm excited for the next few months seeing all the construction that's gonna take place downtown and here's to hoping they get started on those Apartments ontop of the garages soon. I would love to see some more living high rises downtown hoping we get a new tallest tower out of that also.

Old 12-10-2016, 10:06 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Cheraw and Edgefield are small towns I was using as examples; you can pick any small town to make the point. Saying Columbia is more similar to small towns than it is to peers like Greenville or Greensboro is just asinine. And this narrative you're pushing of Columbia rejecting development left and right just isn't reality; the pace of development in Columbia is very much in line with its regional peers. Any city that rubber stamps all development without the slightest hint of criticism or concern is a city I'd absolutely never want to live in. It's a great thing that Columbia is starting to tell developers that the city deserves better--and it does.

Old 12-10-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Cheraw and Edgefield are small towns I was using as examples; you can pick any small town to make the point. Saying Columbia is more similar to small towns than it is to peers like Greenville or Greensboro is just asinine. And this narrative you're pushing of Columbia rejecting development left and right just isn't reality; the pace of development in Columbia is very much in line with its regional peers. Any city that rubber stamps all development without the slightest hint of criticism or concern is a city I'd absolutely never want to live in. It's a great thing that Columbia is starting to tell developers that the city deserves better--and it does.
Yeah but also some of tge development they turn down were the better development columbia needs but they turn them down.

When you become too "we can do better" whats the terminology of "better"?

Old 12-10-2016, 11:07 AM

1,802 posts, read 2,032,562 times
I can't think of many projects Columbia has rejected out of hand. Two come to mind, the Icon apartment tower on South Main and the Five Points South apartment towers. The Icon should have been approved, but the university hated it and rallied public opinion to call for denying it. Five Points South also had intense opposition from the surrounding neighborhoods. "Columbia" as an entity generally reflects the concerns of the people who make their opinions known to elected officials. That's how democracy is supposed to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area