Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2014, 09:49 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
I wonder how long it will take for the "old Main Street" retailers to sell to "new Main Street" retailers and further the transformation? The remaining surplus stores, wig shops, and off-brand clothiers are no longer the best and highest uses of those properties.
I actually don't mind some of those retailers staying in place; I'd like to see Main Street retain some old-time local character. But I would like to see more facades of the buildings that those businesses occupy restored.

Quote:
My only concern, though, is the vibe that Main Street will have once The Hub's transformative effect takes place. The article about this topic in The State mentioned how The Hub won't be a boon for upscale places like Oak Table, but will lead to a surge of "ten dollar or less lunch places." I hope this is wrong, or at least overstated. Columbia has enough cheap lunch places. We need more cool eateries and watering holes catering to a post-college, young professional crowd. These places don't need to be expensive to offer a more sophisticated vibe than what you find in some of Columbia's existing bars and restaurants.

Fingers crossed.
Sure you've got the Hub, but don't forget that you'll always have politicians, lawyers, and an increasing number of banking employees on Main also. So I imagine you'll see a mix of eateries with respect to price points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 06:40 AM

12,897 posts, read 18,751,931 times
Also, I strongly suspect that the Merryl (sp) Lynch building and the old AgFirst building will be apartments marketed more to non-students, not that students can be barred from living there if they wish to.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:02 PM

611 posts, read 920,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

Sure you've got the Hub, but don't forget that you'll always have politicians, lawyers, and an increasing number of banking employees on Main also. So I imagine you'll see a mix of eateries with respect to price points.

Completely agree. The State seems to think that cheap eats will replace fine dining...the business-folks aren't going away, they're just being complimented by an influx of new residents. This will serve to increase the number of dining options, and sure many of them will be at the lower end, but that isn't a bad thing.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:37 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,031,420 times
I'm really not talking about price points, but instead the level of "cool factor," polish, sophistication, etc., in the establishments. I want more places like The Kraken and less like Kildaire's.

Last edited by SCxpBrussel; 04-18-2014 at 03:35 PM..

Old 04-18-2014, 02:50 PM

As much as parents hang out with their college kids these days I'm sure dad will foot the bill for everyone at the nicest downtown restaurants when in town.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:03 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,562,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
As much as parents hang out with their college kids these days I'm sure dad will foot the bill for everyone at the nicest downtown restaurants when in town.
Exactly.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:23 PM

117 posts, read 183,854 times
Anyone know if Chick-Fil A plans on coming back to Main st/ downtown area? I know there were extenuating (at least I think I do) circumstances for their exit but it never hurt for business... I often bypassed it because the line was out the door...

Old 04-20-2014, 05:42 AM

1,101 posts, read 1,337,208 times
Default Chick fil a remains in expansion mode so possible

But considering how most of them hereabouts have drivethriughs, if they return to main it'd be a little further north where they could get a bigger lot

Old 04-20-2014, 11:10 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,562,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonatco View Post
Anyone know if Chick-Fil A plans on coming back to Main st/ downtown area? I know there were extenuating (at least I think I do) circumstances for their exit but it never hurt for business... I often bypassed it because the line was out the door...
No, they didn't fit what the owner wanted for that building. In fact, if they left Columbia, altogether, it would suit me.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
No, they didn't fit what the owner wanted for that building. In fact, if they left Columbia, altogether, it would suit me.
The CEO says he is dropping the political stuff. He figures he has to because he has set his designs on moving into urban centers of big cities, including cities up north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area