Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2016, 01:09 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times

Advertisements

Good article here about Columbia's resurgent hotel industry: More downtown Columbia hotels on the way as occupancy and room rates soar | The State

So here's a question: where could a new full-service hotel to serve the convention center be built?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 04:24 PM

68 posts, read 65,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Good article here about Columbia's resurgent hotel industry: More downtown Columbia hotels on the way as occupancy and room rates soar | The State

So here's a question: where could a new full-service hotel to serve the convention center be built?
It'd be cool to see one built into/on top of the convention center expansion itself if they could get enough height - considering what's allowed in the Vista.

Old 08-27-2016, 03:15 PM

159 posts, read 125,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

Are there any examples where a convention center sells air rights to a hotel developer? Maybe the hotel could be built on top of a portion of the expanded convention center closer to the CLA.

Old 08-27-2016, 03:16 PM

159 posts, read 125,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSayinJG View Post
It'd be cool to see one built into/on top of the convention center expansion itself if they could get enough height - considering what's allowed in the Vista.
Just saw your post......I am being a little repetitive in echoing your statement. It is a good idea and could be used to help fund the expansion.

Old 08-27-2016, 04:21 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,559,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger1995 View Post
Are there any examples where a convention center sells air rights to a hotel developer? Maybe the hotel could be built on top of a portion of the expanded convention center closer to the CLA.
I think that would be phenomenal, but the Hilton was sold as the Convention Center Hotel. Maybe the Hilton could expand through air rights over the Convention Center Parking Garage. I think that would be awesome.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:09 AM

752 posts, read 566,168 times
I wonder if Columbia is at that point. The question is: does the city need a convention center expansion to draw another full service hotel? It would take time for Columbia to build itself into a destination for larger conventions. If a hotel brand feels that there is sufficient demand to fill a larger hotel without conventions, Columbia would be a much easier sell. Since most of the major brands are represented, I think the next logical options are Westin and Hyatt. Both typically build in larger cities, so the occupancy question is pretty important. The nice thing is Downtown and the Vista have matured greatly since the city tried to build its own convention center hotel before Hilton came to town. There seems to be a stronger case for new rooms, as evidenced by the article in The State.

Old 08-28-2016, 04:11 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,727,364 times
I believe the general consensus is the Columbia Convention Center needs to be expanded to draw larger events. Build it and they will come.

Old 08-28-2016, 04:42 PM

752 posts, read 566,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I believe the general consensus is the Columbia Convention Center needs to be expanded to draw larger events. Build it and they will come.
Right, but I wonder if there is enough business to sustain a full service hotel while the center begins to build its pipeline of conventions. Most organizations plan annual conferences and meeting years out. While I do not doubt that the convention center will eventually be successful, it will take time to draw larger groups. In the meantime, the hotel would need to find a way to stay profitable. Football weekends would be a huge boon, but the key is attracting business travelers. The uptick in the economy has probably helped on this front.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:30 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
Right, but I wonder if there is enough business to sustain a full service hotel while the center begins to build its pipeline of conventions. Most organizations plan annual conferences and meeting years out. While I do not doubt that the convention center will eventually be successful, it will take time to draw larger groups. In the meantime, the hotel would need to find a way to stay profitable. Football weekends would be a huge boon, but the key is attracting business travelers. The uptick in the economy has probably helped on this front.
An expansion of the convention center would likely need to happen before a new full service hotel is built.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:40 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,844,468 times
Albert's Deli opens second location in downtown Columbia at Bank of America Plaza on Main Street | The State

Alberts deli is opening up a new restaurant in bofa plaza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area