Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2019, 09:49 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,274,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Cat View Post
That was the original design. They were denied about 3-4 years ago for that concept and they came back with the current design that was approved but it was put on hold. I posted yesterday that The Edge is going forward after receiving zoning approval for a 16 story building.

https://www.postandcourier.com/free-...c2f6a1581.html

This is one of the stories with the redesign from 2016

https://www.coladaily.com/business/n...97a92716f.html

Stating the obvious, but damn we have a lot of parking lots! If that's to scale (doesn't seem too far off), then the infill it creates is pleasing to the eye- whether the architecture and design is nice or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quibbs View Post
Sorry if my opinion offends anyone but...terrible. Absolutley terrible.
Absolutely not. You're not wrong in what you said above but at the same time I'm not sure what else you can do with it. On second thought, I think the glass on the Washington street side helps it blend in well with the library next door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2019, 10:11 AM

333 posts, read 215,395 times
Quote:
Lol...Yeah it's not the best. I'm being optimistic in hoping that the actual texture of the building will add to the look of it. On the bright side it is a 16 story building that adds to the skyline and fills in some of our concrete desert. Looks like it could be about the height of the Wells Fargo building across the street.

Old 12-12-2019, 11:30 AM

12,915 posts, read 18,761,054 times
It’s going to pretty much block out the view of the Hub from the west, because even though it will be shorter, it will be a block closer. I’m not sure the altered dimensions of the skyline from that view will be for the better, at least not for fans of vertical, finger skylines.

Old 12-12-2019, 03:21 PM

8,239 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Stating the obvious, but damn we have a lot of parking lots! If that's to scale (doesn't seem too far off), then the infill it creates is pleasing to the eye- whether the architecture and design is nice or not.

Absolutely not. You're not wrong in what you said above but at the same time I'm not sure what else you can do with it. On second thought, I think the glass on the Washington street side helps it blend in well with the library next door.

I said the same thing.. all those parking lots make the cityscape look horrible. You would melt into a pile of goo swimming across all that ocean of asphalt in the middle of August...I don't think I have ever seen any of them filled .I know it is what it is.. but I guess the other way to look at it is they are all infill development opportunities....LOL...

Old 12-12-2019, 03:36 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Two parking lots on street corners nearest the State House make that area look like crap.

Old 12-12-2019, 04:11 PM

1,124 posts, read 926,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Two parking lots on street corners nearest the State House make that area look like crap.
Agreed, that and like the others have said the lot across from the library.

Old 12-12-2019, 04:24 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
Quote:
Not offended at all; it's a terribly mediocre design.

Old 12-12-2019, 04:25 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
You can thank Jim Papadea for that.

Old 12-12-2019, 05:00 PM

34 posts, read 31,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
You can thank Jim Papadea for that.

My understanding is he owns it with his still(?) living mother and she does not want to sell. She has to be in her early 90s by now.

They own a good bit around that area. If I owned something like that for 60-70 years with a ton of family history attached to it, I'm not sure I would sell either. Imagine the history they have there and all the change they have seen over all those years.

Change will eventually come to those lots, It's always just a matter of time.

Old 12-12-2019, 06:30 PM

1,462 posts, read 2,959,088 times
Why does Tetris pop up in my head when I look at that picture. And Legos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area