Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2019, 09:55 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
Unpopular Opinion. We need more Modern Brutalist buildings. I would like to see that massive hotel that's planning to get built along with the Convention Center Expansion have a Modern twist on brutalism.

Yes I'm a huge fan of brutalism. And Columbia has a lot of those buildings.
That's definitely an unpopular opinion if there ever was one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 03:24 PM

8,230 posts, read 13,350,173 times
Default COMET Transit Center

Wasn't there a study released about the potential for a transit center in Columbia that would replace the on Laurel Street? I cant recall what the recommendations were..

At any rate.. Here is what that did in Knoxville TN that I thought was interesting... The first link is googlemaps to the Knoxville site which is built over an highway (thus not taking up any land).. The second link is a place where it could go in Columbia that could combine both bus and rail..... I have shared it before.. but the Knoxville example helps provide more context...

Knoxville Transit Center
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.9653603,-83.9144192,254m/data=!3m1!1e3

Proposed Columbia Intermodal Transit Center (parallel to the Hampton Street Bridge and over the tracks)

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0021027,-81.0443503,110m/data=!3m1!1e3

Old 09-25-2019, 02:28 AM

1,153 posts, read 954,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Wasn't there a study released about the potential for a transit center in Columbia that would replace the on Laurel Street? I cant recall what the recommendations were..

At any rate.. Here is what that did in Knoxville TN that I thought was interesting... The first link is googlemaps to the Knoxville site which is built over an highway (thus not taking up any land).. The second link is a place where it could go in Columbia that could combine both bus and rail..... I have shared it before.. but the Knoxville example helps provide more context...

Knoxville Transit Center
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.9653603,-83.9144192,254m/data=!3m1!1e3

Proposed Columbia Intermodal Transit Center (parallel to the Hampton Street Bridge and over the tracks)

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0021027,-81.0443503,110m/data=!3m1!1e3
From the latest Intermodal meeting I attended we are planning to build the Intermodal Transit center where the current Amtrak station is at. There's a huge plot of land in front of the station that the COMET is looking at purchasing.

The Laurel Street station or as it's called currently (COMET Central) will act as a normal orbit bus stop in the future one the Intermodal Transit center is built.

The reason for this choice is that the Laurel Street station has a stigma behind it that's gonna stick with it unfortunately even if we do build a brand new Intermodal Center there. So that's why it's being moved. Also they want to create a Central hub for all modes of transit. Buses (local, Commuter and Intercity) Rail Transit (Amtrak and future Commuter Rail) Taxi's/Ride sharing, and Bike/Scooter Share.

Along with it being a hub for shopping, eating and a direct connection to the Colonial Life Areana.

Old 09-25-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
From the latest Intermodal meeting I attended we are planning to build the Intermodal Transit center where the current Amtrak station is at. There's a huge plot of land in front of the station that the COMET is looking at purchasing.

The Laurel Street station or as it's called currently (COMET Central) will act as a normal orbit bus stop in the future one the Intermodal Transit center is built.

The reason for this choice is that the Laurel Street station has a stigma behind it that's gonna stick with it unfortunately even if we do build a brand new Intermodal Center there. So that's why it's being moved. Also they want to create a Central hub for all modes of transit. Buses (local, Commuter and Intercity) Rail Transit (Amtrak and future Commuter Rail) Taxi's/Ride sharing, and Bike/Scooter Share.

Along with it being a hub for shopping, eating and a direct connection to the Colonial Life Areana.

That location (Amtrak) is good as well so I am glad they went with it. It is also close to USC

Old 09-25-2019, 05:13 PM

https://columbiabusinessreport.com/n...mercial/77149/

I think it's time for Sumter Street to have a boom of some kind. Especially further North. There's so many empty lots there that is begging to have some type of dense development on it. Maybe it will kick off with the Holiday Inn Express opening soon or when the City builds that 30 story office tower and complex. Maybe that might start a Domino affect that will spur many housing, Retail and office development on Sumter Street.

I don't know only time will tell. But I can say that Noma is definitely growing fast and connecting it with Main and Sumter Street would be nice.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:59 PM

1,124 posts, read 925,204 times
Quote:
https://columbiabusinessreport.com/n...mercial/77149/

I think it's time for Sumter Street to have a boom of some kind. Especially further North. There's so many empty lots there that is begging to have some type of dense development on it. Maybe it will kick off with the Holiday Inn Express opening soon or when the City builds that 30 story office tower and complex. Maybe that might start a Domino affect that will spur many housing, Retail and office development on Sumter Street.

I don't know only time will tell. But I can say that Noma is definitely growing fast and connecting it with Main and Sumter Street would be nice.
I asked about the tower when I bought my house. Councilwoman Devine was my closing attorney. She said it’s more of a pipe dream on the mayors part. And that in all likelihood it won’t happen.

Old 09-26-2019, 03:38 AM

753 posts, read 566,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
I asked about the tower when I bought my house. Councilwoman Devine was my closing attorney. She said it’s more of a pipe dream on the mayors part. And that in all likelihood it won’t happen.
Amazing that the Councilwoman was your attorney and also that's the impression I got from discussion of the tower. I get the sense that the city is stretched now that it has all of the Bull Street commitments, the Canal reconstruction, and can no longer borrow (steal) from the water and sewer funds.

Old 09-26-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
Amazing that the Councilwoman was your attorney and also that's the impression I got from discussion of the tower. I get the sense that the city is stretched now that it has all of the Bull Street commitments, the Canal reconstruction, and can no longer borrow (steal) from the water and sewer funds.

YEP....and most know the voters would likely revolt to spend taxpayers $$ on a new office tower when the average non city data denizen likely thinks the city doesn't need class A office (tower) space and should occupy any existing space they can find in the current downtown office market....

Old 09-26-2019, 11:38 AM

As an aside.. does the city own the building that they occupy now at Washington and Main Street and do they occupy the entire building or just that ground floor? If not, they may just be better off buying it or one of the other existing downtown buildings and turning it into city offices... Maybe that would put pressure on the market to build another though certainly not a tower.. The only way the tower gets built is if Richland County goes in on it.. which likely wont happen either.

Old 09-26-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
As an aside.. does the city own the building that they occupy now at Washington and Main Street and do they occupy the entire building or just that ground floor? If not, they may just be better off buying it or one of the other existing downtown buildings and turning it into city offices... Maybe that would put pressure on the market to build another though certainly not a tower.. The only way the tower gets built is if Richland County goes in on it.. which likely wont happen either.
That was the plan. To get Richland county and the city to be in one mega Complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area