Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2014, 09:04 AM

93 posts, read 104,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Main Street in Columbia is getting busier by the quarter. A lot is about to pop in that strip. At least in the not-so-busy areas of Columbia it's still a grid, which in and of itself is one characteristic of a city that feels large, and at times even some of those areas have both pedestrians and cars. And this thread is about Columbia's central business district, not Greenville's.
At least two other people brought up Greenville and said Columbia was the big city in comparison. You did not have a problem with that. No reason to be defensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
I can see where your coming from with Greenville's energy, they definitely have a lot of people down there, but its again more of a laid back crowd, Columbia in general seems to be a more rushed crowd.

If your talking about Five Points being a college downtown your right, but there really isnt anything like that with the Vista at all. I am always down there and very rarely feel like im in a college town down there, its mostly young professionals. Also Main Street Columbia though it is really taken off, is still very much up and coming similar to Greenville's West End. The Vista is more equaitible to Main Street Greenville in terms of foot traffic and how much it has developed, though the West End looks more like The Vista and Main St Greenville looks more like Main St Columbia.

Gatlinburg may have been a bad example, but I feel like Asheville's Downtown is very much like Greenville's. Greenville though may have a few taller buildings, does not have very many or enough to make it feel like a big city downtown. Columbia has six buildings taller than or as tall as the tallest building in Greenville just around Main and Gervais Streets alone. I know that a skyline doesn't always mean a nicer downtown, but it does make for more of a city scape that Greenville IMO does not have.
Ok well I don't see what is exciting about taller office buildings.

I don't see the comparison between Asheville and Greenville downtowns. Asheville is a tourist town with few office jobs. Greenville is much more modern with new stuff coming in.

I said Vista feels like a college downtown area in terms of how it looks not that it is only college kids down there. This isn't a criticism.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:31 AM

12,891 posts, read 18,748,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gervais View Post
At least two other people brought up Greenville and said Columbia was the big city in comparison. You did not have a problem with that. No reason to be defensive.
If you'll look back at my comment you'll see I didn't quote your comment. I was speaking in general terms, not to you. When I started this thread, comparisons to other cities' central business districts wasn't on my mind. I know I don't own a thread just because I started it, but it gets frustrating to have nowhere to run or hide from comparisons between Columbia and Greenville. I even mentioned Greenville myself a few posts back, showing how easy it is to get pulled into comparisons. I was commenting even on my own shortcoming. Sorry to be unclear and have you thinking I was singling you out.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
If you'll look back at my comment you'll see I didn't quote your comment. I was speaking in general terms, not to you. When I started this thread, comparisons to other cities' central business districts wasn't on my mind. I know I don't own a thread just because I started it, but it gets frustrating to have nowhere to run or hide from comparisons between Columbia and Greenville. I even mentioned Greenville myself a few posts back, showing how easy it is to get pulled into comparisons. I was commenting even on my own shortcoming. Sorry to be unclear and have you thinking I was singling you out.
Ok

Old 02-07-2014, 09:56 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,946,090 times
Quote:
Ok well I don't see what is exciting about taller office buildings.

I don't see the comparison between Asheville and Greenville downtowns. Asheville is a tourist town with few office jobs. Greenville is much more modern with new stuff coming in.

I said Vista feels like a college downtown area in terms of how it looks not that it is only college kids down there. This isn't a criticism.
No critisism taken, I misunderstood what you were saying about the college downtowns thinking you were referring to the Vista as a college downtown or college hangout which I dont really see.

I agree Greenville is a bit more modern than Asheville and Asheville is more of a tourist town, but Greenville's downtown to me gives more of that type of feel even though its less touristy than Asheville.

Taller buildings are'nt more exciting, but do give the area more of a city vibe, not necessarily meaning that having taller buildings makes Colas downtown better or visa versa, just gives it a different vibe.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
No critisism taken, I misunderstood what you were saying about the college downtowns thinking you were referring to the Vista as a college downtown or college hangout which I dont really see.

I agree Greenville is a bit more modern than Asheville and Asheville is more of a tourist town, but Greenville's downtown to me gives more of that type of feel even though its less touristy than Asheville.

Taller buildings are'nt more exciting, but do give the area more of a city vibe, not necessarily meaning that having taller buildings makes Colas downtown better or visa versa, just gives it a different vibe.
Ok well I dont want to upset Cola Data but in on Main Street in Greenville you are in in between the tall buildings while in Columbia mot people are in the vista or 5 points away from the tall buildings. So to me Greenville actually feels like a mini Charlotte.

I agree the two cities have a different vibe and I think that is good. Same with Charleston. To me parking is better in Cola because it isn't one big connected area like Greenville, and that is a positive for me.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:20 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,946,090 times
Quote:
Ok well I dont want to upset Cola Data but in on Main Street in Greenville you are in in between the tall buildings while in Columbia mot people are in the vista or 5 points away from the tall buildings. So to me Greenville actually feels like a mini Charlotte.

I agree the two cities have a different vibe and I think that is good. Same with Charleston. To me parking is better in Cola because it isn't one big connected area like Greenville, and that is a positive for me.
I can see what your saying with everything in Greenville being in between where the taller buildings up there are, but at the same time the Vista is just across Assembly from our tall buildings and you can look up anywhere in the Vista and see them so even though you may not be on Main, your still close to them. I like Five Points, but thats a little too far to be considered a main part of downtown, to me the Vista and Main Street are the core of Downtown even though Five Points is close and has alot of good stuff there too. But Five Points also has a much different vibe than the Vista or Main St with it being more of a college hangout.

I would say that as far as connectivity though Greenville has done a better job, The West End and Main Street are like The Vista and Main Street here, I live on Main and always walk to the Vista as do most people. Its like being near the Ale House in Greenville and walking to the West End, the only difference is that Greenville has done a better job connecting the two and Columbia has struggled with that with Assembly St being such a divider. Once they solve that issue, Main St and the Vista will be much more connected.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:04 PM

26 posts, read 32,116 times
this little tangent is a great example of what goes on on these boards and makes them (more) stupid: somebody says something that acknowledges that Columbia isn't a gleaming city on a hill rife with possibility, then the regulars get upset and start drubbing up Columbia and putting down any comparative cities. SOME PEOPLE can't get it through their heads that talking about urban space (as talking about anything else qualitative) will invite comparison and criticism.

Yes, Columbia has enough problems to fill its surplus of surface parking.
Yes, it is getting better.
Yes, I understand Columbians are probably tired of Charlestonians' condescension
No, it is not going to stop any time soon
Yes, Columbia natives and USC grads can be just as condescending to every other locality.
No, Columbia is not better than Charleston or Greenville either as a city or a place to live.
Yes, there are nice things in Columbia. We get it.
No, it is not on par with Charlotte or Atlanta.
Yes, Columbia has a lot of potential.
No, it does not have more potential than some other city.
No, I do not want to talk about what you think is the best use for anything

Old 02-07-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
I can see what your saying with everything in Greenville being in between where the taller buildings up there are, but at the same time the Vista is just across Assembly from our tall buildings and you can look up anywhere in the Vista and see them so even though you may not be on Main, your still close to them. I like Five Points, but thats a little too far to be considered a main part of downtown, to me the Vista and Main Street are the core of Downtown even though Five Points is close and has alot of good stuff there too. But Five Points also has a much different vibe than the Vista or Main St with it being more of a college hangout.

I would say that as far as connectivity though Greenville has done a better job, The West End and Main Street are like The Vista and Main Street here, I live on Main and always walk to the Vista as do most people. Its like being near the Ale House in Greenville and walking to the West End, the only difference is that Greenville has done a better job connecting the two and Columbia has struggled with that with Assembly St being such a divider. Once they solve that issue, Main St and the Vista will be much more connected.
I think Main Street needs more restaurants to get going. Cantina 67 should help althoug the other one is't far away on Devine.

Reality is you can do the same thing in both of them, eat, drink and be merry. lol

Old 02-07-2014, 04:11 PM

12,891 posts, read 18,748,565 times
Cantina 76 was packed last night. Every night that I drive by the Oak Table I see it's full of heads. Bourbon posted some updated pics on Facebook and their door has been open with construction going on inside yesterday and today. I heard Al Amir at Main and Laurel isn't going to happen because of issues with the building that the owner is unwilling to deal with. I also heard someone's looking at the Hennessey's building. We've eaten at Villa Tronco's twice in the past two months and it was scrumptious. There are several other restaurants open at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area