Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2014, 07:41 AM

93 posts, read 104,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
To me there are big ole small towns and there are small big ole cities, and I feel Columbia is the latter. I prefer big ole cities, even on a small scale.
I don't think you are that familiar with Greenville if you think it is much smaller than Columbia. Columbia's downtown has a bigger footprint but as I pointed out much of that is dead areas. The urban areas in both are about the same. And Greenville's downtown has a lot more people in one area so to me it feels bigger especially on the weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 07:50 AM

3,200 posts, read 4,612,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gervais View Post
So piles of money are just lying around in Charlotte? There no doubt are more rich people there but other people don't have access to their bank accounts.

Most people don't care about arts and pro sports. You have to pay to go watch that NBA team. Panthers are not much more exciting. Greenville has a decent arts scene.

You might be right about Main street in cola looking more like the one in Charlotte but Greenville's has more activity. Greenville is a combination of an old school downtown with some corporate buildings.

Greenville's downtown, more new construction , and it isn't related to a uni like Cola, Greenville downtown seems newer to me than Cola.

I think the Falls Park is best park in state. The state house grounds and horseshoe are nice but doesn't seem like people go there much like Falls Park. Horseshoe seems like for the uni students, i wouldn't want to invade their space
Let's look at your comments.......most people don't care about sports and the arts, combined, over 4m folks attended a sporting or arts event in downtown Charlotte in 2013. Greenville's art scene is no different than Columbia.

More new construction in Greenville not Uni related? One, at 10 stories was just completed with assistance from government sponsored tax credits. Who are the tenants, one anchor is Clemson......Uni related. In Columbia, the tower at Main & Gervais was finished in 2009 at 18 stories, all private enterprise. Meridian at 18 stories is no older than 10 and neither is First Citizens. As someone posted 10 new Main St restaurants have joined the over 100 restaurants in downtown Columbia.

Columbia has not had the surge in hotel construction announcements but with higher ADR and occupancy rates, the development is not far off. Greenville has a nice Main St but your perceptions are far from reality.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
I don't think you are that familiar with Greenville if you think it is much smaller than Columbia. Columbia's downtown has a bigger footprint but as I pointed out much of that is dead areas. The urban areas in both are about the same. And Greenville's downtown has a lot more people in one area so to me it feels bigger especially on the weekends.
Statistically, it is much smaller. I grew up in the upstate and have never thought Greenville was or felt larger than Columbia, because its not.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
As a percentage of total population, the number of Americans who go to arts , museums, pro sports is pretty small. We are close enough to Charlotte for a pro sport every now and then.

From a daily living standpoint there is no difference b/t Charlotte and the cities in SC other than you sit in traffic a lot more up there.
By reading the Greenville threads, appears folks sit in traffic there as well. There is a big difference between living in Charlotte and Greenville.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Let's look at your comments.......most people don't care about sports and the arts, combined, over 4m folks attended a sporting or arts event in downtown Charlotte in 2013. Greenville's art scene is no different than Columbia.

More new construction in Greenville not Uni related? One, at 10 stories was just completed with assistance from government sponsored tax credits. Who are the tenants, one anchor is Clemson......Uni related. In Columbia, the tower at Main & Gervais was finished in 2009 at 18 stories, all private enterprise. Meridian at 18 stories is no older than 10 and neither is First Citizens. As someone posted 10 new Main St restaurants have joined the over 100 restaurants in downtown Columbia.

Columbia has not had the surge in hotel construction announcements but with higher ADR and occupancy rates, the development is not far off. Greenville has a nice Main St but your perceptions are far from reality.

GSP you are look at number of people, not percentage of people out entire population. It probably isn't even 1 percent of Charlotte people who regularly go to sporting and arts stuff in town.

My point is Cola and Greenville's arts scene is good enough for most people. Peace Center is a decent facility.

I am not sure what your point is with the tax credit thing. ISn't that how states lure businesses all the time?

I think Greenville has more condos goint up downtown. THe building with Clemson isn't all Clemson and it isn't a business school or engineering school or law sschool etc. Probabl;y has little to do with the educational sdie of Clemson.

My opininon is Main Street, the side streets off it, and west end is bigger and more active than Five points , Vista and Main Street in Cola all combined. If there wa activity in all of COla's grid then it would be bigger.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
By reading the Greenville threads, appears folks sit in traffic there as well. There is a big difference between living in Charlotte and Greenville.
lol it is nothing like Charlotte espeically on the interstates, and the main commuter routes. I worked uptown Charlotte with Areva for a few months and I would sit on the interstate every aftrenoon.

Woodruff around the shopping centers is only bad area but not a big deal except in rush hours and peak hours on weekends.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:23 AM

12,919 posts, read 18,765,744 times
Quote:
Who said I was talking about Greenville? I was focused on Columbia. I didn't insinuate that any city was smaller than Columbia at all. I was talking about the feel of places based on their respective built environs. A place that has a big ole small town feel to it can be larger than a place that has a small big ole city feel to it. Actual size doesn't matter within that context. And I am quite familiar with Greenville's layout and know where the action is versus the quieter spots.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Who said I was talking about Greenville? I was focused on Columbia. I didn't insinuate that any city was smaller than Columbia at all. I was talking about the feel of places based on their respective built environs. A place that has a big ole small town feel to it can be larger than a place that has a small big ole city feel to it. Actual size doesn't matter within that context. And I am quite familiar with Greenville's layout and know where the action is versus the quieter spots.
oh well you were talking bout greenville before. it was a logical assumption

Old 02-09-2014, 08:31 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,577,810 times
Why is there arguing over qualitative and opinions? The feel of a place is all in one's perception and how they move about the place. And then we are seeing random "statistics" being brought up to support one's opinion. Get back to Columbia's renaissance. How is construction on the private dorms coming?

Old 02-09-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
GSP you are look at number of people, not percentage of people out entire population. It probably isn't even 1 percent of Charlotte people who regularly go to sporting and arts stuff in town.

My point is Cola and Greenville's arts scene is good enough for most people. Peace Center is a decent facility.

I am not sure what your point is with the tax credit thing. ISn't that how states lure businesses all the time?

I think Greenville has more condos goint up downtown. THe building with Clemson isn't all Clemson and it isn't a business school or engineering school or law sschool etc. Probabl;y has little to do with the educational sdie of Clemson.

My opininon is Main Street, the side streets off it, and west end is bigger and more active than Five points , Vista and Main Street in Cola all combined. If there wa activity in all of COla's grid then it would be bigger.
4m is greater than metro Charlotte's population of 2.6m, your assumptions are wrong. traffic in Charlotte is overstated, besides the city has light rail and a rage bus system.

Actually, Clemson's MBA school is in One.

No one has condos going up, banks aren't financing large condo projects.

Fact is that Columbia has a larger downtown, always has. Columbia has enormous activity in all of the nodes, the Vista has $400m in construction activity alone and roughly 50 restaurants. Main St has attracted 10 new restaurants and is the state's financial center. 5 Points is 5 Points. Apartment construction is happening in places like Canalside, Olympia, The Vista and in Main.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area