Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2014, 09:22 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,946,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gervais View Post
I think Main Street needs more restaurants to get going. Cantina 67 should help althoug the other one is't far away on Devine.

Reality is you can do the same thing in both of them, eat, drink and be merry. lol
Fact! Greenville's great, Columbia's great, I'll cheers to that at Libertys (in Cola or Gville!) LoL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 12:00 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
I think Main Street needs more restaurants to get going. Cantina 67 should help althoug the other one is't far away on Devine.

Reality is you can do the same thing in both of them, eat, drink and be merry. lol
Already happening: 10 new restaurants opening along Columbia’s Main Street | Business | The State

Old 02-08-2014, 06:50 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,612,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus Finch View Post
this little tangent is a great example of what goes on on these boards and makes them (more) stupid: somebody says something that acknowledges that Columbia isn't a gleaming city on a hill rife with possibility, then the regulars get upset and start drubbing up Columbia and putting down any comparative cities. SOME PEOPLE can't get it through their heads that talking about urban space (as talking about anything else qualitative) will invite comparison and criticism.

Yes, Columbia has enough problems to fill its surplus of surface parking.
Yes, it is getting better.
Yes, I understand Columbians are probably tired of Charlestonians' condescension
No, it is not going to stop any time soon
Yes, Columbia natives and USC grads can be just as condescending to every other locality.
No, Columbia is not better than Charleston or Greenville either as a city or a place to live.
Yes, there are nice things in Columbia. We get it.
No, it is not on par with Charlotte or Atlanta.
Yes, Columbia has a lot of potential.
No, it does not have more potential than some other city.
No, I do not want to talk about what you think is the best use for anything
Interesting, especially when you mention qualitative data. I have been using qualitative data for a while and Columbia always comes out looking fine. You don't have to be a local to understand.

Every city has its share is cheerleaders and most get tired of Charleston's condescending attitude whether it's Columbia, Greenville, Charlotte etc.....And before you ask, yes, Charleston folks have trashed Charlotte.

For the record, no city in SC is on par with Charlotte or Atlanta, not even close. Greenville is in no way a "mini" Charlotte, Main St Columbia is not either but has a taller city feel than Greenville. Both are nice, just different.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:10 PM

12,916 posts, read 18,761,054 times
To me there are big ole small towns and there are small big ole cities, and I feel Columbia is the latter. I prefer big ole cities, even on a small scale.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:50 PM

93 posts, read 104,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
For the record, no city in SC is on par with Charlotte or Atlanta, not even close. Greenville is in no way a "mini" Charlotte, Main St Columbia is not either but has a taller city feel than Greenville. Both are nice, just different.
Bigger isn't always better. Charlotte just has more instances of Chick Filas, Best Buy, etc, and some pro sports. The SC cities are more livable than those two based on traffic alone.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:25 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,612,275 times
Quote:
Bigger isn't always better. Charlotte just has more instances of Chick Filas, Best Buy, etc, and some pro sports. The SC cities are more livable than those two based on traffic alone.
Not true at all, Charlotte has a lot more than any of the SC cities by a long shot....think wealth, arts, sports, shopping, etc.... But, that is not the point, you were the one who said Greenville is a mini Charlotte which is in no way true. Columbia has a nice downtown, it is packaged differently. For instance, there is no better urban open space anywhere in SC that the state house grounds, or the Horseshoe. You will not see this is any "park" metric used to define urban areas but they function in a similar way. Main St in Cola has more of a Tryon St feel than any road in SC, there is a strong presene of 18-20 story buildings (lot of banks). The Vista and 5Points are great urban neighborhoods. In the Vista's case, close to $400m in development currently under construction......with more on the way. It is interesting that folks get bent out of shape and post comments like "the Columbia cheerleaders and or USC grads" cheer on Columbia when other cities get a pass. It is great to see Cola get an attitude, it is long overdue for a city that has so much.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Not true at all, Charlotte has a lot more than any of the SC cities by a long shot....think wealth, arts, sports, shopping, etc.... But, that is not the point, you were the one who said Greenville is a mini Charlotte which is in no way true. Columbia has a nice downtown, it is packaged differently. For instance, there is no better urban open space anywhere in SC that the state house grounds, or the Horseshoe. You will not see this is any "park" metric used to define urban areas but they function in a similar way. Main St in Cola has more of a Tryon St feel than any road in SC, there is a strong presene of 18-20 story buildings (lot of banks). The Vista and 5Points are great urban neighborhoods. In the Vista's case, close to $400m in development currently under construction......with more on the way. It is interesting that folks get bent out of shape and post comments like "the Columbia cheerleaders and or USC grads" cheer on Columbia when other cities get a pass. It is great to see Cola get an attitude, it is long overdue for a city that has so much.
So piles of money are just lying around in Charlotte? There no doubt are more rich people there but other people don't have access to their bank accounts.

Most people don't care about arts and pro sports. You have to pay to go watch that NBA team. Panthers are not much more exciting. Greenville has a decent arts scene.

You might be right about Main street in cola looking more like the one in Charlotte but Greenville's has more activity. Greenville is a combination of an old school downtown with some corporate buildings.

Greenville's downtown, more new construction , and it isn't related to a uni like Cola, Greenville downtown seems newer to me than Cola.

I think the Falls Park is best park in state. The state house grounds and horseshoe are nice but doesn't seem like people go there much like Falls Park. Horseshoe seems like for the uni students, i wouldn't want to invade their space

Old 02-09-2014, 12:14 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
^Most people don't care about arts or pro sports? Are you kidding? Hundreds of thousands of people visit the museums in Columbia every year and tens of millions of people in this country watch pro sports on tv or in person every week.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
^Most people don't care about arts or pro sports? Are you kidding? Hundreds of thousands of people visit the museums in Columbia every year and tens of millions of people in this country watch pro sports on tv or in person every week.
As a percentage of total population, the number of Americans who go to arts , museums, pro sports is pretty small. We are close enough to Charlotte for a pro sport every now and then.

From a daily living standpoint there is no difference b/t Charlotte and the cities in SC other than you sit in traffic a lot more up there.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:30 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,274,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
To me there are big ole small towns and there are small big ole cities, and I feel Columbia is the latter. I prefer big ole cities, even on a small scale.
Well said, I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area