Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2014, 06:28 PM

93 posts, read 104,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
My family is the same way! Both my parents are from the Upstate and went to Clemson. When they were graduating and decided to move to Columbia they were "nervous to live in the big city!" I also remember my aunt who lives in Greenville talking about all the traffic and tall buildings in Columbia too.

Its no knock on Greenville at all and obviously that has not hindered any growth or development up there, its just different and I think thats what makes all three of our metros so great, they are different and offer different vibes.

Greenville's downtown seems bigger to me. Columbia isnt a big city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 05:37 AM

12,891 posts, read 18,748,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gervais View Post
Columbia's layout is bigger, but its commercial districts are more scattered. Planners are looking into ways to link them better. Greenville isn't a big city either.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:49 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,946,090 times
Quote:
I would have to disagree, when im in Downtown Greenville as nice as it is, I feel as though I am in a small city or a tourist town of sorts similar to that of Asheville or Gaitlinburg with a lack of tall buildings, small area and a more laid back atmosphere. When your in Downtown Columbia, you look up and see tall (or at least taller) buildings, you have a rush of traffic around, and a higher energy atmosphere. Not so say the Downtown Greenville feels like a small town because it most certainly does not, but Columbia feels like a bigger city to me than Greenville. But as said before, that does come at consequence for Columbia such as the fact we have two very busy streets that are very busy with automotive traffic in Gervais and Assembly, and also have a more spread out downtown. Columbia also has more of that city "girt" than Greenville does as well. Bottom line, both downtowns are great and offer a different type of vibe.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Columbia's layout is bigger, but its commercial districts are more scattered. Planners are looking into ways to link them better. Greenville isn't a big city either.
I understand Greenville isn't big. Somebody said that Columbia was the big city compared to Greenville and I think they are about the same size.

Even though the layout is bigger, it seems to me in the grid part of downtown Columbia there are a lot of dead areas without much activity. If all of that was bustling then I would agree Columbia is bigger.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
I would have to disagree, when im in Downtown Greenville as nice as it is, I feel as though I am in a small city or a tourist town of sorts similar to that of Asheville or Gaitlinburg with a lack of tall buildings, small area and a more laid back atmosphere. When your in Downtown Columbia, you look up and see tall (or at least taller) buildings, you have a rush of traffic around, and a higher energy atmosphere. Not so say the Downtown Greenville feels like a small town because it most certainly does not, but Columbia feels like a bigger city to me than Greenville. But as said before, that does come at consequence for Columbia such as the fact we have two very busy streets that are very busy with automotive traffic in Gervais and Assembly, and also have a more spread out downtown. Columbia also has more of that city "girt" than Greenville does as well. Bottom line, both downtowns are great and offer a different type of vibe.
I don't think Greenville is anything like Asheville and especially Gatlinburg. Much taller buildings and a lot more people downtown.

I don't agree on the energy thing either. Greenville is generally more active downtown than Columbia.

Columbia downtown might have a little more car traffic but I think it is distributed more than Greenville's due to the bigger layout so it doesn't feel that way.

To me Columbia feels like two college town downtowns about 1 mile apart in 5 points and the Vista. I think those areas are more accessible than downtown Greenville which is what I like about Cola.

Main Street in Cola is ok but most people don't go there much unless they work in one of the highrises.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
I don't think Greenville is anything like Asheville and especially Gatlinburg. Much taller buildings and a lot more people downtown.

I don't agree on the energy thing either. Greenville is generally more active downtown than Columbia.

Columbia downtown might have a little more car traffic but I think it is distributed more than Greenville's due to the bigger layout so it doesn't feel that way.

To me Columbia feels like two college town downtowns about 1 mile apart in 5 points and the Vista. I think those areas are more accessible than downtown Greenville which is what I like about Cola.

Main Street in Cola is ok but most people don't go there much unless they work in one of the highrises.
I can see where your coming from with Greenville's energy, they definitely have a lot of people down there, but its again more of a laid back crowd, Columbia in general seems to be a more rushed crowd.

If your talking about Five Points being a college downtown your right, but there really isnt anything like that with the Vista at all. I am always down there and very rarely feel like im in a college town down there, its mostly young professionals. Also Main Street Columbia though it is really taken off, is still very much up and coming similar to Greenville's West End. The Vista is more equaitible to Main Street Greenville in terms of foot traffic and how much it has developed, though the West End looks more like The Vista and Main St Greenville looks more like Main St Columbia.

Gatlinburg may have been a bad example, but I feel like Asheville's Downtown is very much like Greenville's. Greenville though may have a few taller buildings, does not have very many or enough to make it feel like a big city downtown. Columbia has six buildings taller than or as tall as the tallest building in Greenville just around Main and Gervais Streets alone. I know that a skyline doesn't always mean a nicer downtown, but it does make for more of a city scape that Greenville IMO does not have.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:36 AM

Main Street in Columbia is getting busier by the quarter. A lot is about to pop in that strip. At least in the not-so-busy areas of Columbia it's still a grid, which in and of itself is one characteristic of a city that feels large, and at times even some of those areas have both pedestrians and cars. And this thread is about Columbia's central business district, not Greenville's.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
I can see where your coming from with Greenville's energy, they definitely have a lot of people down there, but its again more of a laid back crowd, Columbia in general seems to be a more rushed crowd.

If your talking about Five Points being a college downtown your right, but there really isnt anything like that with the Vista at all. I am always down there and very rarely feel like im in a college town down there, its mostly young professionals. Also Main Street Columbia though it is really taken off, is still very much up and coming similar to Greenville's West End. The Vista is more equaitible to Main Street Greenville in terms of foot traffic and how much it has developed, though the West End looks more like The Vista and Main St Greenville looks more like Main St Columbia.

Gatlinburg may have been a bad example, but I feel like Asheville's Downtown is very much like Greenville's. Greenville though may have a few taller buildings, does not have very many or enough to make it feel like a big city downtown. Columbia has six buildings taller than or as tall as the tallest building in Greenville just around Main and Gervais Streets alone. I know that a skyline doesn't always mean a nicer downtown, but it does make for more of a city scape that Greenville IMO does not have.
Columbia doesn't have posers. That's for sure.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:44 AM

Fitness Facility expanding in downtown Columbia.

Jamie Scott Fitness Announces Brand Expansion In Downtown Columbia | MidlandsBiz

Old 02-07-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Is this taking the space that Corssfit Moved out of under the Palms?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area